“LUXURY YET WELCOMING AND FRIENDLY”
Review of Cringletie House

Cringletie House
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Peebles
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Beautiful quiet location with pretty views from the rooms and also lovely "touches " in the rooms like Molton Brown etc. Close to Peebles and Edinburgh. Restaurant to die for (will do separate review but worth the stay for that alone)

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We have just returned home from one night at this hotel. We booked DBB and joined friends who were also staying there. I loved it! From the moment we arrived I just wanted to soak in this beautiful building and grounds. We had the Glentress room which was a good size with a turret seating area. On arrival we enjoyed a glass of champagne in the cosy library. The grounds are well looked after were you can also enjoy a game of croquet or chess on a giant board. The staff were excellent. Our evening meal superb and a satisfying breakfast before we had to leave. We shall be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank hazel m m
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed at Cringletie House during the first weekend of June 2013 as a result of a recommendation of friends who were staying there and invited me to join them. The location is absolutely ideal, set in beautiful countryside with acres and acres of private grounds to explore. My room was on the ground floor and whilst not large spacious enough with a well appointed and well stocked bathroom.

The service overall was impeccable, the staff simply couldn't do enough to make my stay enjoyable. The first floor restaurant serves excellent food and I enjoyed the 7 course tasting menu with matching wines, again no complaints whatsoever.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My partner and I have stayed in many Luxury Hotels in Scotland and this was not in the same league by a long shot although the price charged made me think that it was going to be far better than it was. When we arrived there was no one at reception and we waited 5 minutes before being greeted. We were then taken to our "suite" which was really a large bedroom and was quite shabby. The white bedlinen was no longer white but more grey in colour and the furniture was antiquated although I expect it was meant to be period furniture. The bed was too soft and I didn't sleep well. However the bathroom was beautiful! Dinner was a big let down. We opted for the Grand Experience 7 course menu but each course was tiny and of only an average standard in quality. Not worth the £110 for us both!
I can see what Cringletie are trying to achieve but they have alot of work to do to get there and the website leads you to believe that it is something that its not. I wish we had gone somewhere else instead.

3  Thank Christine186534
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Well done to the excellent teams both "front of house" and in the kitchens. Sunday lunch yesterday was excellent, both in terms of experience and food. A special thank you to the restaurant staff who made such an effort to help one of our party who has limited mobility but was made to feel so good by her experience. The welcome and table experience were up to previous high standards leaving us feeling cared for and even cosseted. The food was of a very high standard, portion sizes just right for lunchtime, beautifully presented, delicious flavours. Excellent value for money and a good range of choices. The restaurant is stunning with beautiful views and a lovely room. What more can I say - oh yes! We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I visited Cringletie 3 years ago for dinner and had the most exceptional time through exquisite service and food. Further to this my husband had booked one night stay this weekend with dinner for us both as a surprise for my birthday.
Upon arrival we had to wait quite a while for someone to greet us at reception. We were shown to our room which was lovely although a disappointing wet shower room. It was a spacious room however classed as luxury there were twin beds that had been put together so when it came to the evening i was not really feeling like I was sleeping with my husband as we were both dipped into soft holes in each bed!
We then unpacked and thought we'd go to the bar for a celebratory drink. We waited,what felt like an eternity, despite being advised to ring the service bell in the bar for service. A gentleman finally came and served us a drink after apologising as he was checking in other guests. You really need more staff. the evenings service however was not only slow but we had 3 members of staff ask us what we would like to drink! I even commented to the 3rd person '3rd time lucky is it'.
The restaurant - beautiful room and setting. Food was, what we remembered from our previous visit something worth looking forward too however despite loving our fine dining the selection and quality was just a little bit too focused this time on their 3 rosettes. Just a bit too fussy for us. Staff in the restaurant were very good, helpful and friendly although the woman who I believe was the restaurant manager (?) came across as insincere, false and whilst we were having a drink after dinner was loudly instructing staff in the corridor which was extremely unprofessional. If she treats staff like that I imagine there are turnover issues.
To top off what was an okay stay the cleaning staff decided to put the vacuum on just outside our room at 8am, really!! You have no other time to do that?! For a small beautiful set up they really should have everything spot on and it was just below par. We had a lovely weekend despite not being made to feel special and with no gesture for my birthday, we unfortunately will not be returning to Cringletie again.

5  Thank 23cherry
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We returned to Cringletie for a short break after celebrating our first wedding anniversary in a junior suite in 2010. This time we stayed in a classic room, Stobo, and, although the classic rooms are in the attic area and are the smallest type of room, we found our spacious, with beautiful views of the hills to the front and Peebles to the side. Being in the attic area the plumbing was a wee bit clunky but that is to be expected.

All meals were excellent and all the staff were very friendly and professional. The views from the bar, lounge and restaurant are stunning and you could easily spend your time just sitting looking out of the window or walking around the scenic grounds.

We enjoyed the experience immensely and left feeling fully relaxed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Tontine Hotel Peebles Scottish Borders
#4 of 8 in Peebles
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Cringletie House? Share your experiences!