We stayed for two nights at Cringletie House, primarily to enjoy the Sunday evening Tasting Menu, but also to have a short break in the countryside. We arrived on the Saturday afternoon and were greeted warmly and professionally. We had a standard room on the ground floor with views across the rear gardens. The room was equipped with all those little extra touches you find on Executive/Club floors in the hotel chains or in 5* hotels. The bar was comfortable - and given the external temperature - very warm and cosy. There was also a pleasant lounge upstairs as well as the Library.
It was recommended to be in the bar half and hour before dinner; this allowed time for an aperitif, the very pleasant canapes to be served and an order placed for the Temptation Menu. The wine was good value and drinks in the bar very reasonable. Dinner was superb, with first class service and a very pleasant atmosphere.
Breakfast on Sunday (and Monday) was also of good quality, and again good to escape from the buffet breakfast concept. As with all of the food it was aimed at those who value taste and presentation over sheer quantity. After spending the morning and middle part of the day getting progressively chilled by the bitter wind and frequent snow showers, we returned the warmth and comfort of Cringletie to spend the rest of the afternoon reading and sipping drinks. It was such a relaxing place to be.
The Tasting Menu, with accompanying wines, was a fine and most enjoyable event. Again, service was very good - professional but warm and friendly. The food was outstanding, we have enjoyed tasting menus in Michelin starred restaurants in Belgium, Quebec and France - this was the equal of any of them in presentation, blend of tastes and sheer skill. In addition, the choice of wines was very good, and we enjoyed the knowledge of the staff in explaining the wines and their provenance.
Altogether an excellent experience which we will repeat later in the year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cringletie House is a luxurious Country House Hotel, set in 28 stunning acres, just outside Peebles and 30 minutes south of Edinburgh, in the Scottish Borders.With 4 Red Stars, Cringletie Hotel is the only AA Top Hotel (Inspector's choice) in the Scottish Borders. No other hotel in this location has been awarded 4 Gold Stars by Visit Scotland. The Sutherland Restaurant at Cringletie is considered one of Peebles' top restaurants and our Head Chef ensures his menus reflect the changing seasons with locally sourced produce. The hotel's bedrooms are individually decorated and all have glorious views over the gardens and rolling countryside. All rooms offer FREE WiFi, LCD TV, Bathrobe & Slippers and a range of Molten Brown Toiletries. The hotel has a specially designed accessible room with wheelchair access - and lifts to all floors. For our guests who seek the outdoors the range of opportunities are truly limitless. The region boasts some of the best mountain biking in the UK at Glentress, fishing on the Tweed (Europe's premier salmon fishing river), and some of the best field sports and golf in Scotland. If you are touring Scotland with your best (four-legged) friend we welcome dogs to the Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Cringletie House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cringletie House Hotel Peebles
- Cringletie Hotel Peebles
- Cringletie House Peebles, Scotland