Cringletie House
  • Pool
Travelocity
The Park(Peebles)(Great Value!)
$79
Cross Keys Hotel(Peebles)(Great Value!)
$57
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Windlestraw(Walkerburn)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswalled gardenafternoon teajunior suitetasting menumatching winesluxury roomon arrivalcountry housedining roomextensive groundspublic roomsthe general managersandwichesfor sunday lunchgrounds are lovelyhotel is beautifulspecial occasion
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Spent a couple of nights at Cringletie House, October 2012, as a base for walking in The Borders. Although the country was wonderful, the weather was dreadful, cold and raining much of time. Just as well we had such a splendid place to stay.

Warm, most comfortable with excellent food. This is a lovely country house set in estate surroundings, off the main road, up a long, tree-lined drive. Quiet, well maintained to a high standard and cherished by its owners, this was a delightful place to stay and nothing was too much trouble for its thoroughly trained and polite staff.

Would I stay there again? Mostly certainly. It's a bit on the pricey side but I appreciated the extras, such as, among other things, the standard of cuisine, the spacious accommodation and gracious hosts. Worth the money and worth a visit. Take a look at their short break packages for quite good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Driving up to the hotel it is beautiful and set in brilliant Scottish country side.

We booked a special deal for two nights with breakfast both nights and dinner on one night. It was excellent value for money.

Our room was on the top floor of the hotel fine for us. The room had amazing views.

The food was excellent. The service for dinner was also great. The breakfast service was a little haphazard everything can all at once. But it was tasty.

Reception staff were very helpful giving us guides for walks and other advice.

They arranged spa treatments in our room which was a nice touch.

We ate on the first night of our stay and the restaurant was fairly busy.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want a break away somewhere quiet.

Some people have moaned on here about cost and we didn't see that.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank SEAWT
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We have just returned from our third trip to this hotel in the past eighteen months. If anything the experience this time exceeded the high standards of customer service we experienced on our earlier trips.

We have stayed each time in the Selkirk suite so can't comment on other bedrooms. The Selkirk suite however is very comfortable, well appointed and always provides a relaxing environment. The evening dinner menu is well thought out and the professional attention of the dinning team guarantees an enjoyable experience.

We can certainly recommend Cringletie House to anyone wanting to experience a quality country house experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

When we booked here, we were so excited - this was going to be our one splurge on our trip. The manor didn't disappoint.

What an amazing setting and location! We stayed in the Eddington Room which is up in the "attic" - lovely, modern en suite bathroom and cozy bedroom. It was everything we hoped it would be. The grounds are equally stunning.

Whereas most people would probably have enjoyed the dinner, we didn't find it at all to our liking. We ate very little of a rather expensive meal, which is disappointing. However, the breakfast was nicely done. The service is the dining room was superb.

Would we stay here again? Perhaps...after we explored the area a bit more!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gail M
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I booked this hotel because I was going on a stalking trip in Peebles and needed something near the town and this was getting very good ratings. At the last minute my wife decided to join me as she had also checked it out and liked the look of it. I called the hotel and there was absolutely no issue with this, no extra charge for the room but I'd have to pay for her breakfast - no problem with that. We travelled up on that rare Scottish event, a cloudless blue sky in October with Autumn colours well developed - a good start indeed.

From the moment we arrived it was a very good experience. We were too early to check in but as I went off for my stalking my wife was made comfortable in a lounge and plied with food and drink. I returned in time for the evening meal, had a bath in the very luxurious bathroom with big fluffy robes for each of us and went down to dinner.

We had a pre-dinner drink in the bar, placed our orders, and then went through to the very stylish dining room where we were served some truly delightful beautifully balanced food by very competent (and mostly French) staff. I'm not a great lover of Nouvelle Cuisine being often over-priced and too pretty and one criticism here was that the portions were small and the gulf between price of the dish compared to the value of the food on the plate seemed a little too large despite the obvious craft and attention to detail.

Another very small criticism was that the staff were good to the point of just being on the wrong side of over-attentive, I didn't really need a full description of each dish that just repeated the description on the menu but it's a very minor point.

We took our coffee in the library with a log fire blazing where I inspected the very comprehensive list of Whiskies, Cognacs, Armagnacs and other digestifs and selected an smoky Ardbeg Uigeadail at £8 a shot, about halfway up the price range. I thought it was a little steep until I stuck my nose in the glass and almost sneezed as a result of the intense bouquet, every sip was a sheer delight and it was almost the best part of the meal. (I bought a bottle on line as soon as I got home.) Dinner was not cheap but not at all unreasonable for the quality of food and general experience.

I was going out stalking again in the morning and wanted an early breakfast but was told that as a large party was expected at 8:00 I couldn't eat until 9:00, I remonstrated as this meant I'd have to miss breakfast but was told that I could come at 8:00 and was actually slightly miffed to be on my own until I left at 08:30!

Breakfast was very nice, I arrived early but was made very welcome and quickly served, it was a little more generous in portions than dinner, but only one sausage, one rasher of bacon etc but all ingredients of the highest quality with again attentive service with every need fulfilled.

Our room was very nicely appointed if a little cramped for a double, but they can only work within the confines of the walls of the building, there is a lift for those that need it and the front door is a little incongruous for a Scottish castle type hotel, being a sliding glass door but it is actually just what is needed carrying luggage and there is a selection of wellingtons just outside for those wanting to take a walk in the lovely grounds.

I wasn't in the hotel long enough to take full advantage of the facilities but my wife enjoyed it enormously. Would I go back? Most certainly I will, but if I stayed for ore than one night I'd eat out on at least one night just to get my hunger satisfied.

The strength of the hotel is very definitely the staff who were without exception, helpful, polite, attentive, friendly and just right. Criticisms are few, not being able to check in until 3pm is one, portion sizes another, but I'm struggling to be critical, overall it was one of the better hotel experiences I've had in the past few years.

By the way, nothing to do with the hotel but I will never use Enterprise car hire again, I had booked a car for the trip online, got a confirmation email, was driven 20 miles to pick it up only to be told they didn't have a car for me - thank goodness Hertz were more professional and I only lost an hour in sorting out a replacement.

Room Tip: Check the size of the rooms as some are a little cramped
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family