“Good service but food was awful”

Green Tree Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 44 Restaurants in Peebles
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went here with our two kids and parents in law for Sunday lunch. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. Kids had fish and chips, both frozen and over cooked. I had the roast beef, which was tough and covered in a jelly like gravy, awful. Others had the haddock and chips, again frozen and overcooked.

As my father in law was paying, we didn't complain. No excuse to serve food like this. Four of us were sick after the meal!!

2  Thank SPP7

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This restarant was a bit out of the way for us but it was worth it!
Beautiful meal from start to finish, we had the potato wedges & mushrooms for starters, it is lovely to have homemade wedges and mushrooms just lovely.
We had Roast beef & Sirlion with Longoustines for mains, it was devine, we then shared the trio of deserts which consisted of key lime pie & chocolate mouse & pana cotta, it was gorgeous.
Thank you for a beautiful meal with excellent service
We will be back on a regular basis to this wonderful restaurant

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Enjoy eating here if we can get a table in the small lounge area. The restaurant is too brightly lit & rather soulless. The food is really good, but pricy compared to some other good places in the town. The salads are the best I've had out with more than the minimum ingredients while the homemade desserts are the best in the town. Service is friendly & efficient. A good place for a lunch or snack meal, but I just feel that for the cost of a full evening meal with a drink here I prefer to eat in a place with more atmosphere & comfort. I realise it is maybe a difficult building to adapt but a cosier dining room & a nice seating area for coffee after a meal would make all the difference.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We only went to the Green Tree as we'd won a voucher for £25 off, but we'll definately be back. Great to have the choice of the restaurant or the lounge (same menu in both), so we chose the lounge as it had a bit more atmosphere and was a bit busier. We were really tired and hungry after a long bike ride and the food hit the spot. I had Butternut Squash/Sweet Potato curry which had lovely flavours, and then the best rice pudding I've ever had in my life. Hubby had Fish & Chips which he said was lovely - and then also the rice pudding. Staff were really friendly and efficient and we weren't rushed (we wanted a gap between the meal and the dessert). I highly recommend it.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Service excellent. Fish and chips fabulous. Good menu. In town centre and easy to access as they have parking at the back. Toilets an experience but clean.