“Definitely worth the journey”

Cocoa Black Chocolate & Pastry School
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Peebles
More attraction details
Owner description: Run by UK World Chocolate Master & UK Confectioner of the Year, Ruth Hinks, Cocoa Black offers a wide range of Chocolate & Pastry classes suitable for all levels of experience. As one of Europe's leading Chocolate and Pastry schools, we teach our students using the very best ingredients and equipment in our purpose-fitted kitchen.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent an afternoon with Ruth learning how to make chocolates and truffles. Ruth is very friendly and welcoming and didn't mind one bit that I left trails of chocolate everywhere! Took home about 50 chocolates, some in lovely boxes that will make great gifts.

Definitely worth the trip to Peebles.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have never tasted a better bakewell tart - and it looked divine. I confess I bought 2 on leaving one for me and my sister back in Glasgow and I have to be honest I struggled parting with it! Staff were really lovely and I think they deserve their confectionery 2011 award

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I attended the 2 day chocolate masterclass.What can i say, fantastic,amazing,I learned so much in a short space of time,Ruth is a great inspiration and a wonderful teacher. All the staff are so friendly and welcoming i felt quite at ease from the get go.I suprised myself with chocolates i made.I have to say i was sad to leave but i will be returning to cocoa black to do another course in the future.I feel a renewed passion to work with chocolate and with the great knowledge i have i hope to turn out some new and wonderful chocolate for my guests to enjoy!

2  Thank shelly o
Reviewed November 1, 2012

For anyone wanting to dip their toe in the water (or indeed, tongue in the choccie) of what it is to work with chocolate, you have to do the Cocoa Black Chocolate Masterchef course.
Any' first day at school' nerves I had were immediately quelled when we were welcomed like old friends and plied with hot chocolate or great coffee which kept coming for the duration. The school itself was an Aladdin’s cave of everything chocolate; fountains, fillings, cocoa butters, edible glitters, moulds, boxes, ribbons and all the mystical ingredients for a serious choc-fest.
I spent the next two days gaining a real insight into chocolate itself, tempering, moulding, ganache and truffle recipes and all kinds of crafting techniques along with trade secrets and hints - all from the Chocolate Master herself.
For such a successful and celebrated chocolatier, Ruth is utterly understated, great fun and incredibly generous with her experience and expertise. She has a delightfully light touch in both her work and her teaching style and creates a magic around confectionary which you can't help finding infectious. After two days in this fabulously creative environment I left, clutching a brimming bag of chocolate produce with a new confidence and a sense of infinite opportunity...

Reviewed September 2, 2012

To be honest we only visited the Cocoa Black cafe not the school. but it serves excellent coffee, great cakes and pastries, in a busy but still relaxed atmosphere, and obviously well loved by locals and tourists alike.