Cocoa Black Chocolate & Pastry School
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Peebles
More attraction details
Owner description: Run by UK World Chocolate Master & UK Confectioner of the Year, Ruth Hinks, Cocoa Black offers a wide range of Chocolate & Pastry classes suitable for all levels of experience. As one of Europe's leading Chocolate and Pastry schools, we teach our students using the very best ingredients and equipment in our purpose-fitted kitchen.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“lush”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

we stopped to have some cake and wow its the best cake i have ever tasted . apparently the boss is an award winning cake maker and i can believe it. This place is not just for women.

Visited August 2012

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“2 Amazing Days”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was recommended this course by a friend and at first i was skeptical about signing up for this as I wasn't sure if I was going to learn enough. I am glad i did as it was really good and I learned lots about chocolate. Ruth was very helpful and she taught us a lot of different techniques. The staff including Ruth were very welcoming and during the day there was nice hot chocolate on offer and delicious sandwiches for lunch. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to have 2 fun days of making delicious chocolates and than take them all with you home to share with your friends and family. Happy chocolate making ;)

Thanks Ruth for 2 nice days ... Dorina

Visited August 2012
Ayr, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Basic chocolate making course”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Excellent value for money, I came away with fabulous chocolates all in lovely bags and boxes. It was fun with great tips for making chocs at home.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank cowpitsheep
Tokyo, Japan
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“If you are from out of town, it might be easier to stop in at the coffee shop and buy the sweets.”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I participated in the patisserie class with seven other clients. I haven't had many cooking classes so it's hard to compare, but the course felt more like an assembly experience: ingredients were pre-measured and it was mostly a matter of putting ingredients into the mixer. Techniques and tips were discussed very quickly-too fast to write down. They provide a recipe book but skipped around so it was hard to follow along in order to annotate. In addition, the recipes were large so any attempts to make these at home would require some significant adjustments.

The staff was friendly and stepped in anytime we asked, and the facilities were clean and comfortable. Those who arrive early are treated to coffee, tea, or hot chocolate-very smooth.

In the end I went back to my hotel with over 21 pieces of cake. This would be great except my room did not have a fridge and between my husband and I, it was too much. We did become the favorite customers at our hotel as we gave almost all of it away to staff there. The course at the time I took it was 75 pounds and that works out to 3.5 pounds per piece. I think the shop in town (classes are just outside of town right now) offered pieces for around that price so the course price was great...if you plan to eat all that cake.

While I don't regret the experience, I'd probably just stop in the town shop and enjoy the end result unless I had a large group to feed at the end of the class.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Whats4dessert
Stirling, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good day out and chocolate”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A chocolate making course she said and I went oh dreary! This was bought as a Christmas present for me and turned out to be really good fun. I expected loads of girls there and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of guys. Ruth was great and explained everything in detail. mind you I had real trouble with the piping should have watched more carefully.Not only do you get to make the chocolates you get to take them home. There were a lot thank god as my boys loved them. I would go again to learn some more skills.

Visited January 2012