“If you are from out of town, it might be easier to stop in at the coffee shop and buy the sweets.”

Cocoa Black Chocolate & Pastry School
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Peebles
More attraction details
Owner description: Run by UK World Chocolate Master & UK Confectioner of the Year, Ruth Hinks, Cocoa Black offers a wide range of Chocolate & Pastry classes suitable for all levels of experience. As one of Europe's leading Chocolate and Pastry schools, we teach our students using the very best ingredients and equipment in our purpose-fitted kitchen.
Tokyo, Japan
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I participated in the patisserie class with seven other clients. I haven't had many cooking classes so it's hard to compare, but the course felt more like an assembly experience: ingredients were pre-measured and it was mostly a matter of putting ingredients into the mixer. Techniques and tips were discussed very quickly-too fast to write down. They provide a recipe book but skipped around so it was hard to follow along in order to annotate. In addition, the recipes were large so any attempts to make these at home would require some significant adjustments.

The staff was friendly and stepped in anytime we asked, and the facilities were clean and comfortable. Those who arrive early are treated to coffee, tea, or hot chocolate-very smooth.

In the end I went back to my hotel with over 21 pieces of cake. This would be great except my room did not have a fridge and between my husband and I, it was too much. We did become the favorite customers at our hotel as we gave almost all of it away to staff there. The course at the time I took it was 75 pounds and that works out to 3.5 pounds per piece. I think the shop in town (classes are just outside of town right now) offered pieces for around that price so the course price was great...if you plan to eat all that cake.

While I don't regret the experience, I'd probably just stop in the town shop and enjoy the end result unless I had a large group to feed at the end of the class.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Whats4dessert

Stirling, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good day out and chocolate”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A chocolate making course she said and I went oh dreary! This was bought as a Christmas present for me and turned out to be really good fun. I expected loads of girls there and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of guys. Ruth was great and explained everything in detail. mind you I had real trouble with the piping should have watched more carefully.Not only do you get to make the chocolates you get to take them home. There were a lot thank god as my boys loved them. I would go again to learn some more skills.

Visited January 2012
Lanark, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“First class experience”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I bought this experience for my friends 30th Birthday! We had a fantastic day, Ruth and her staff were very welcoming and friendly, we got offered tea, coffee or hot chocolate on arrival which of course we had to go for the hot chocolate OMG it was the best I have ever tasted!! The course itself was informative which is solely down to Ruth who is a very passionate about her job and her knowledge of chocolate is second to none. The making of the truffles was great fun a bit messy but tasty!!!!, and best of all you get to take home your endeavours which were without question the best chocolates I have ever tasted.
I can also highly recommend the Cocoa Black coffee shop which is central in the town of peebles, lovely pastries and cakes! If you can bring yourself to more sweet treats.
Lesley Gillan and Lynne Bingham

Visited June 2012
Larbert, United Kingdom
“Classes”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I make it an annual treat to go to Cocoa Black and do a course with Ruth and her wonderful team. Would not go anywhere else to do this kind of class. Ruthie makes learning great fun and you take home boxes full of your fabulous goodies. She is even prepared to help you online when things go wrong at home when you try to re-create the recipes - who would have thought Macarons could be so difficult !!!!!
Can't wait until I go back again

Ian T

Visited February 2012
East Kilbride
“Christmas Present.”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A wonderful experience made for a fantastic day out in Peebles.
The chocolates were to die for and the whole visit was excellent.
Well worth a visit again.
At the end of the day, I completed a questionnaire and requested a box of the chocolates every 3mths. Up until now I have not received anything.
Why ask, but then not deliver.

Visited September 2011
SimonGlasgow, Owner at Cocoa Black Chocolate & Pastry School, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Allan,

Many thanks for your Tripadvisor comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the class. The purpose of the short questionnaire was to help us to determine whether there was any interest in a chocolate subscription service. Based upon the comments received over the past 6 months, we are now developing a number of new services which we plan to launch shortly. I am sorry if this was a little confusing.

Kind regards