“Never EVER again.”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Peebles B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My family booked 4 rooms for a 3 night stay from 24th May 2013. We lasted one night - and that was only because there was nowhere else to go in Peebles at 2am. The Crown is billed as a family friendly hotel with a lovely restaurant on their website - what they fail to mention is the fact that on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights they have a 1am bar and you can hear EVERYTHING. We expected a small local pub to have last orders at 11pm and would not have booked had we been told it was open until 1am for the duration of our stay.

The music was extremely loud and the people in the pub matched it. The noise was horrific. We completely understand that it is a pub and people are having a good time, but i think it is disgraceful to hire out rooms to families with children without informing them of the 1am bar. Our room (room 6) was at the front of the pub and we then heard every single person on the street. A group of men stayed in the room above ours and decided that it would be a good idea to scream and shout right outside our door and then jump up and down on the floorboards in their upstairs room between 1am - 2am (seriously) with music blaring from their room - i kid you not. We went downstairs to complain but guess what? No staff stay in the "hotel" once it closes. At all.

Absolutly terrible. I think we finally got to sleep at 3am, only to be woken at 5.30am by the loudest staff in the world banging round, putting all the equipment on in the kitchen, washing machines and dryers... It was really awful. I can only compare it to being at a festival in a tent or in student halls during freshers week.

After finally loosing the will to live at 8am, we went downstairs to speak to the manager, only to be told by a lovely lady who works there that the managers donw work in the mornings, as she is left to deal with all the complaints. I felt so sorry for the lady in charge in the morning. We told her we would be cancelling the next 2 nights and would not be paying the £80 for our room or the £40 for another family members room. She said she completely understood. She looked so upset and was on the verge of tears. She told us that she gets complaints about the noise every single Saturday, Sunday and Monday. She honestly looked a nervous wreck. The hotel dont take any money when you book and i can only assume this is because they have to give so many refunds - they are clearly just chancing their luck that people wont refuse to pay.

The rooms themselves were nice and clean and the food was lovely. However, their website is extremely misleading. The noise was so bad. If you are looking to stay out until 1am every night at thr weekend and just need a place to stay afterwards, then it would be fine. If you are looking for any sleep whatsoever (for more than 2 hours), dont stay. If they put you in room 6 just turn back around and find somewhere else. If it wasn't for the noise, it would be a great place and is probably better in the week.

This hotel needs to inform potential guests that they have a 1am bar, is extremely noisey and no staff stay on the premesis. They also need to look after their staff member who deals with the complaints because it was extremely unfair on her.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Terri W

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked for 3 nights sadly due to the 1am bar and the level of noise coming from it i will be leaving after one night . Finally went quite just after one only to be woken at 5.30 am by staff moving around doors banging and the kitchen opening. On a good note the rooms are clean and the staff friendly. If your looking for a peaceful rest in scotland book somewhere else .

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited here with my husband and son. We had Prawn cocktail to start and it was truly devine lots of juicy prawns.. we then had Rib eye steak with peppercorn sauce, steak pie and ceasar salad. Every dish was delicious, the steak was cooked to perfection served with chunky hand cut chips and home made onion rings. The steak pie was melt in the mouth. My ceasar salad was wonderful, juicy pieces of chicken with crispy bacon, it was a very filling salad indeed. The service was excellent and staff were very attentive. We arrived at 8pm on a Saturday night and the whole place was full.. This is always a good sign and now we know why it is so popular. None of us could squeeze in a dessert. We returned the following morning for a cooked breakfast and once again, we were not dissapointed. The whole atmosphere of the place is lovely.. Food is excellent, place is clean and welcoming and the prices are superb for what you get. Will be recommending The Crown Hotel to others and look forward to visiting again..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GWILSON0236
Reviewed February 28, 2013

When I arrived I was shown straight to my room which was well appointed. The bar at the front is a buzz with excitement and loud. A door on the corridor to the rooms is closed in the evening so you can have an early night if required.The staff were all friendly and helpful. When taking breakfast be careful of The Full Scottish which will be a challenge for most. I had the vegetarian option on the second day and had less trouble leaving the table. The inn is on the high street and very handy for local shops and the information centre.

Room Tip: i suspect that number 4 the room I was in is the quietest being furterest away from the bar.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We popped in here after a 4 mile walk around peebles, we were welcomed straight away, by the young lady waiting on. We ordered our drinks and then our food..the prawn cocktail starter was full to the brim of prawns, extremely yummy, and the lasagne was lovely, accompanied with a lovely large glass of merlot, the landlady was very friendly and was willing to tell us places of interest where we should go, it was like going home from home as we also have a few pubs, we will definitely be going back on our next visit, please don't by pass this little gem, we thoroughly enjoyed it, and if we hadn't been staying a few miles away would've been happy to have sat there all day. Well done to the owners....brilliant

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shaloulanz
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was booked in by my office so it wasn't my choice but I was delighted with it. First impressions weren't fantastic as there is no check-in area. Someone popped their head out from the bar and handed me a key before showing me to my room. No signature required etc. I was then left to my own devices with nothing else said...thought that was a bit strange.

My room was beautiful. Really, really surprising. Very tastefully decorated and immaculately clean. Beautiful en suite, very comfy bed, large TV.

The hotel doubles as a local pub and it was a big football day in England so the bar was very busy and noisy. Luckily, there was a lovely little room next door with candles and armchairs etc. I was able to sit there and read before having a bite to eat. I chose to eat there instead of in the restaurant at the back which, to me, looked more like a cafe.

I had a baked potato with haggis and salad - it was outstanding! Tiny point: it was called Haggis and Cheese but there were about 8 pieces of grated cheese so was hardly worth mentioning! :-) Very, very nice all the same.

Despite the noise below my room, I had a fitful sleep in a very cosy bed. I was up early as I had to work but someone put a washing machine on (industrial one it seems) in the laundry room next door, at about 7am!! It sounded like a rocket launching. I thought this was very inconsiderate as they had no idea I would be up early. If it was a leisure trip, I would have been very annoyed.

Options at breakfast very good and the lady who served me was happy to provide a basic scrambled eggs on toast - very nicely done. I was offered more but I was happy with what I had.

I thought £35 for bed and breakfast was fantastic value and I would return, on business.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Traveller206
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Having not been in Peebles for many years, we went looking for Ollie's chair (Oliver Reed). Went into the Crown and it looked totally different. Ollie's chair was away being reupholstered but all was not lost. We decided to have a drink and then ordered some food. The food arrived and it was excellent. The quality was great and the service was very good. The son of the owner told us about the chair and its history.
Having gone to our hotel later in the evening, we decided that there was nothing on the menu that we wanted to eat and went back to the Crown. Again we were not disappointed. The food and service were second to none. A real treasure - a great find and worth a visit. Wish we had it in Uphall.
Complements to the chef and many thanks to the staff for making our visit memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peebles
Cringletie House
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#6 of 8 in Peebles

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!