“A little gem.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Peebles B&B and Inns
Preston
“A little gem.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

When I arrived I was shown straight to my room which was well appointed. The bar at the front is a buzz with excitement and loud. A door on the corridor to the rooms is closed in the evening so you can have an early night if required.The staff were all friendly and helpful. When taking breakfast be careful of The Full Scottish which will be a challenge for most. I had the vegetarian option on the second day and had less trouble leaving the table. The inn is on the high street and very handy for local shops and the information centre.

Room Tip: i suspect that number 4 the room I was in is the quietest being furterest away from the bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
lanzarote
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We popped in here after a 4 mile walk around peebles, we were welcomed straight away, by the young lady waiting on. We ordered our drinks and then our food..the prawn cocktail starter was full to the brim of prawns, extremely yummy, and the lasagne was lovely, accompanied with a lovely large glass of merlot, the landlady was very friendly and was willing to tell us places of interest where we should go, it was like going home from home as we also have a few pubs, we will definitely be going back on our next visit, please don't by pass this little gem, we thoroughly enjoyed it, and if we hadn't been staying a few miles away would've been happy to have sat there all day. Well done to the owners....brilliant

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shaloulanz
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was booked in by my office so it wasn't my choice but I was delighted with it. First impressions weren't fantastic as there is no check-in area. Someone popped their head out from the bar and handed me a key before showing me to my room. No signature required etc. I was then left to my own devices with nothing else said...thought that was a bit strange.

My room was beautiful. Really, really surprising. Very tastefully decorated and immaculately clean. Beautiful en suite, very comfy bed, large TV.

The hotel doubles as a local pub and it was a big football day in England so the bar was very busy and noisy. Luckily, there was a lovely little room next door with candles and armchairs etc. I was able to sit there and read before having a bite to eat. I chose to eat there instead of in the restaurant at the back which, to me, looked more like a cafe.

I had a baked potato with haggis and salad - it was outstanding! Tiny point: it was called Haggis and Cheese but there were about 8 pieces of grated cheese so was hardly worth mentioning! :-) Very, very nice all the same.

Despite the noise below my room, I had a fitful sleep in a very cosy bed. I was up early as I had to work but someone put a washing machine on (industrial one it seems) in the laundry room next door, at about 7am!! It sounded like a rocket launching. I thought this was very inconsiderate as they had no idea I would be up early. If it was a leisure trip, I would have been very annoyed.

Options at breakfast very good and the lady who served me was happy to provide a basic scrambled eggs on toast - very nicely done. I was offered more but I was happy with what I had.

I thought £35 for bed and breakfast was fantastic value and I would return, on business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveller206
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Having not been in Peebles for many years, we went looking for Ollie's chair (Oliver Reed). Went into the Crown and it looked totally different. Ollie's chair was away being reupholstered but all was not lost. We decided to have a drink and then ordered some food. The food arrived and it was excellent. The quality was great and the service was very good. The son of the owner told us about the chair and its history.
Having gone to our hotel later in the evening, we decided that there was nothing on the menu that we wanted to eat and went back to the Crown. Again we were not disappointed. The food and service were second to none. A real treasure - a great find and worth a visit. Wish we had it in Uphall.
Complements to the chef and many thanks to the staff for making our visit memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Charming little hotel with excellent rooms and helpful and friendly staff very clean and comfortable. Would recommend to anyone and is also a handy distance to everything in Peebles. Very reasonable priced compared to other hotels in Peebles which seem to make up their prices on the spot. Great town to visit as very scenic and looks great in the winter with the festive decorations up.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Colonelcrumpet3
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed for one night,while visiting Peebles,big bright en-suite room with really comfy beds, Breakfast was excellent,plenty of choice and good coffee.Friendly,helpful staff,will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

stayed at hotel with friends, rooms were very good spacious and nice and clean, breakfast was exellent, meals were also exellent with a good choice of dishes, also final word to staff who were really helpfull, great value for money will be back soon

thanks from mr kane