“Well prepared food from local produce”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sunflower Restaurant - CLOSED

The Sunflower Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Well prepared food from local produce”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We have been to the Sunflower twice over the past few months and have had excellent meals both times. Imaginative food extremely well prepared, and using local produce. Each time the steaks were very good, tender and tasty. Even the South African wine has a Peebles connection. Definitely the place to eat in Peebles.

Visited February 2014

cupar
“great fresh ingridients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Having resolved when having lunch in The Sunflower last year to return for dinner,we had dinner in the restaurant last saturday.We were glad we returned.As starters I had a very tasty brushetta and my wife had a scallops dish with black pudding which she loved.We both had baked sea bass on a bed of chorizo and beans-scrumptious.Washed with a good bottle of red-heaven! No room for dessert but good coffee was enjoyed.Friendly staff.Although neither of us are vegetarians we enjoyed looking at the recipes in The Sunflower's Vegetarian food book-we asked for a copy at £5 but they did not have any to hand.They offered to post it on-and I received it this morning-thanks Sunflower !

• Visited January 2014
Scotland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner for Two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Sorry about the boring title! We visited this restaurant/cafe last year and have been meaning to put in a review. The restaurant is well situated just off the main drag in Peebles. It reminded me a bit of the cafes and eateries in Hampstead, north London. It is quite small inside but did not feel cramped. Service was prompt although we did not feel hurried at any time. We ordered the anti-pasta to share and I ordered the sea bass and my husband had the Moroccan lamb meatballs. Our big mistake was doing the 'Going for an English' bit and requested the chips as a side order! The portions are large and for two half hearted dieters, this was a bit greedy! I am always a bit wary of fish and seafood but my order was well cooked and presented with complimenting vegetables. I can't remember what they were but everything went together very well. My husband enjoyed the meatballs. The menu was very imaginative and the food was well cooked and presented. Sadly, I couldn't find room for a pudding or coffee (thanks to the chips). We had been sat in a car most of the day so I suspect that if you have been out walking, stalking, fishing, shopping or doing something active you will have a good appetite for all the food presented at the Sunflower. This is a comfortable establishment with excellent service, nicely cooked food and a good reasonably priced wine list. We would definitely recommend.

• Visited October 2013
Worcester, UK
“Second visit was just as good as the first”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Last year, we stayed in a hotel just down the road from Peebles and were recommended to The Sunflower. So this year, on a similar trip, we decided to make sure we went there again and were not at all disappointed. This is a charming little restaurant which is quiet and informal. If you like a comfortable, tucked away place, then The Sunflower is just what you need. Good service; good, locally sourced food; fair prices and very handy for a stroll along the main street in Peebles. Would always suggest you book first.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Chronicle1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“So cosy on a chilly November day, Christmas shopping.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stopped here for lunch during our Christmas shopping experience in Peebles. The restaurant was warm and welcoming, with little cosy rooms and soft lighting. Just the tonic my poor (on all levels) weary, shop worn husband and I needed! The food was delicious, quickly prepared and looked yummy on the plate!

• Visited November 2013