“Coach holiday”

Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Reviewed June 9, 2014

If I had to write this review after the first 10 minutes at the Waverley Castle I would have been telling it very differently. The woman on reception was grumpy and obviously didn't want to be there. The room that we were allocated was cold and had a damp patch on the wall. When we plucked up the courage to go back to see the reception lady we were told immediately that there were no other rooms available. However when my wife explained that I have lung cancer and can't tolerate the damp she did somehow manage to find one. This is when our stay changed. The second room was much warmer and dry. We didn't see the grumpy woman again and all the members of the staff that we encountered after that were very pleasant. The dining room was pleasant and the food was ok with a decent choice of meals. The location is good. To sum up, After the first half hour we had a pleasant stay and decent value for the price we payed.

5  Thank Andy M
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Andy M,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that the second room was more to your liking.

I don't understand the 'grumpy lady comment', as my male, Trainee Manager dealt with the issues you raised and ensure that you got a room more suited to your needs. The lady in question only welcomed the coach and give out keys on arrival and she was on shift again during your stay.

I am however pleased that you found the rest of the staff friendly during your stay.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Spent a day here whilst dropping my mother and disabled father off at the hotel, after a 2 hour drive we met the shearings bus on the way in but the receptionist was swift in booking in and we waited no time at all. My dad had his oxygen delivered to the room and all was set up when we arrived. The room was large enough for a wheel chair to get around and the bathroom was very good for a bath etc. the room was nicely decorated and even had an orthopaedic bed in the room.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew S

Dear Andrew S,

Thank you for the kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Waverley Castle.

Hope to see you again in the near future,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We went on a Shearings 5 day break in May to Melrose. The hotel was excellent and the staff very friendly. Our room was surprisingly spacious, clean and had everything we needed, although it would have been nice had we had freeview, 4 channels was very limiting in view of the dire entertainment in the ballroom - sorry but it was so corny and aimed at 80+ yrs - very Hi-di-hi.

The trip to Edinburgh was great - do go to the Castle, you need at least 4 hours there. Jedburgh was also pretty interesting, especially Mary Queen of Scots house.

If you are offered an extra trip to Galashiels/Peebles I would not recommend it, you will be better off walking into Melrose which is far nicer, I wish we had spent more time there and not wasted the money on the trip. I recommend The Ship Inn in Melrose for a good meal.

Room Tip: Room 7 on ground floor was quiet, spacious and newly decorated.
4  Thank Heather M
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Heather M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of us here at the Waverley Castle hotel.

Your comments regarding tours and freeview will be passed onto the relevant people.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and the staff at the hotel.

With regards to the entertainment, I am afraid it’s down to individual taste and as you can see from previous reviews, our entertainment programme is enjoyed by most.

Hope you come back and see us,

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Booked hotel Last minute ,was a hotel in lovely ground. Inside was clean but a bit tired looking. Food was poor. Just run of the mill frozen stuff tasteless. Think they have a cook rather than a chief. Good price for a night stay.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank littleecho
MrBinksGM, Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Littleecho,

Thank you for your comments; they will be passed on at our next team meeting.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Just had a five day break with Shearings staying at the Waverly Castle Hotel at Melrose,
We stayed in room number one which has been updated to a nice standard but was very noisy from the restaurant which was above the room from after dinner till about ten o clock in the evening and then started at about six fifteen in the morning with somebody banging furniture about, so if you are a light sleeper ovoid this room.
The meals were excellent both at breakfast and evening dinner with good portions and a well cooked varied menu, except the breakfast on the Friday which was dry and over cooked, can only presume it must have been a different chef on this day,
The entertainment was was very good with the resident entertainer putting on a great show as well as local entertainers,
The bar was well supported, the drinks were a little pricey but you expect this at most hotels, the bar service was terrible with the bar Manager going missing on several occasions and people queuing at the bar waiting for him to come back often up to fifteen minutes, with no apologies to the people waiting, not good.
The trips were good with the trip to floors castle being well worth the trip, the driver was good at his job as a driver but not as good as good as most other drivers about local knowledge, seemed more interested in having a cigarette at every available opportunity.
With the exception of the bar manager the staff at the Hotel were excellent and very good at their job, with special thanks to the cleaner who left our room spotless every day, the two people on the reception desk who looked after all the guests queries and a special thank you to our waiter Eduardo who is brilliant at his job, happy and cheerful and a real asset to the hotel. If there was a prize for employee of the week he would get my vote. Overall a good weeks break and would definitely go again .
Derrick Jones

Room Tip: Don't go in room one
1  Thank Derrick J

Dear Derrick J

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on us here at the Waverley Castle, I am sorry you were receiving these problems with your room and bar service; I was not aware of this at the time and I wish you would have brought this to my attention so I could have rectified the issues as soon as possible. However it is nice to read that you did enjoy your stay and you delighted with the level of service from Eduardo.

I will be passing all your comments on at our next team meeting.

I look forward to seeing you again very soon

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Arrived at the hotel on Thursday afternoon and given groom key to a room on the third floor, when we entered the room it had not been cleaned the bed was unmade, phone reception and we were moved to a room on the first floor, the room was clean and tidy, unfortunately the bathroom needed modernising but was clean, the breakfast was very nice and our waiter Edwardo was excellent and very attentive he made it a pleasant experience. We had an evening meal only once during out three night stay and it was very nice and a good price, my biggest moan is about where people can smoke which is just outside the entrance to the hotel, it was not very pleasant to have to walk through smoke and on most time we entered the hotel there where five or six people at the entrance smoking not nice at all

2  Thank Mandy D

Dear Mandy D,

I would just like to start off by saying how wonderful it is to read your review and that you enjoyed the stay, I have to say with regards to the rooms we do take pride in cleanliness and I am glad it isn’t going unnoticed, I do therefore want to offer my apologies on your first experience when entering the room on the third floor. I will pass on your kind words to Eduardo and I am sure he will be delighted in hearing this.

Thank you and I hope we see you again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at the Waverley Castle Hotel on Thursday 15 May 2014 for one night.

I was extremely disappointed with several things during my stay.

I stayed in room 1 on the ground floor. After checking in I entered the room to find out there was no wifi in my room, which was a shame but not the end of the world.

I then switched on the TV to see there were only 4 channels available on there. Nearly every hotel I stay in has at least Freeview in their rooms.

I then went for my evening meal which I paid £14.95. There was a huge queue when I tried entering the restaurant so I decided to go back to my room and try again a bit later. Upon returning I was swiftly sat down and asked if I wanted a drink. I ordered a small orange juice and lemonade which I was then told upon serving of the drink would be £2.80 !! That is extremely expensive for a half pint of that drink, in fact they are the sort of prices you would find in a London hotel. I would like to add that the staff in the restaurant were very polite and helpful . The food was okay, served very quickly.

The next and most annoying problem was upon returning to my room I realised there was no shower in my room. I found this very strange so decided to go to reception to query this. The receptionist told me that there should be a shower attachment in there, I advised her there wasn't and asked why there are rooms with no showers ! I have never in my life stayed in a hotel room without a shower ( I travel the UK with my work so stay in many). The reply was that this is how that room has always been. That was it, no resolution , just a blank and unhelpful look, leaving me very unhappy. I then at 8 a.m the next morning had to have a bath for the first time in a very long while !!

I put my comments down on the customer feedback card and gave the card to reception upon leaving but have heard nothing from anyone , which under the circumstances is again deeply disappointing. I decided to email my thoughts to the manager Mr Binks who did reply to some of the issues but sadly failed to address the issue of no shower. I feel it is only fair to put this review on here as this hotel is one of the poorest I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 1 if you want to have a shower !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank darren b
MrBinksGM, General Manager at Bay Waverley Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear darren b,

Thank you for sharings your views on us here at the Waverley Castle hotel of your £29.50 per person Bed & Breakfast rate.

Luke Binks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
George & Abbotsford Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
Dryburgh Abbey Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Boswells
Best Western Plus Scottish Borders, Selkirk Philipburn Hotel

Been to Bay Waverley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!