“Lovely weekend at Roulotte Retreat” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roulotte Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melrose
Gisborne, New Zealand
“Lovely weekend at Roulotte Retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Roulotte Retreat with another couple in May 2012. We decided to book the cottage - as although the roulotte's looked like fun we thought it would be more practical for us a group to have the cottage to allow us to cook together and chill out in the front room together. We found the hosts very friendly and helpful - they even let us arrive prior to check in to drop off the bikes and left them at the retreat. The cottage was nice and clean - there is another review on here with a very negative view of the cottage which i think is really unfair. On our check in we where shown around the cottage and given tips on the fire. Lots of fuel was provided and the fire kept us cosy all night. They set the boiler/hot water for us to come on in the mornings and evenings which was helpful. They provided a large towel per person, a hand towel and a tea towel (I'm not sure how many towels the other reviewer needed)! The cottage was a little musty smelling but nothing major and overall it was lovely and cosy and we enjoyed a nice night in on our first night and cooked. Yes the TV is small but we didn't use it anyway - personally going on holiday is getting away from all that and we chatted and played games. The location is lovely and it's about 40-50 minutes away from Edinburgh city centre which was handy. I'd definately stay here again in the future but next time I think i'd plan a trip with just my husband and I and book a roulotte - they looked really cosy and fun and i did feel like i missed out a bit by staying in the cottage. Thanks for a lovely stay and hope to see you again soon. Jamie, Charlotte, Bobby & Kinga x

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CharlotteJamie

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

First let me say we are big fans of living off grid and eco friendly living. What we wanted from a break was eco plus unique plus pampering. Well forget the pampering i didnt get any after trying to book for weeks a massage. I was attacked by the geese which sounds funny doesnt it but they are noisy little buggers (right outside the roulotte) and left a nasty bruise on my leg, on top of this i have a pain amplification disorder (not fun). And the views, well if you are happy looking out onto a mobile phone mast, happy to hear the motorway traffic all evening and if you are happy to have the neighbours in houses nearby being able to see you and overlook your roulotte then you wont be disappointed. On the plus: the roulotte was beautiful though very awkward trying to get to the fridge

• 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank c d
Hi Clare,
I just wanted to respond to your review to say what a shame you didn’t enjoy your stay with us at Roulotte Retreat. You stayed for 3 days and it’s such a pity you didn’t think to tell us about your thoughts when you were here. We did spend a considerable amount of time talking with you and your husband too; sharing our thoughts about setting up a ‘glamping’ type business which you are thinking about doing.
As I said when you arrived, I didn’t get any notification about your request for a massage prior to your arrival. I did however rectify this immediately by giving you the massage therapist’s number, so you could have enjoyed a massage if you had wished as you were here for 3 days.
I can only apologise about the behaviour of the geese, they tend to wander around providing entertainment to the guests who are here and many guests feed them and go off with hundreds of photographs of our feathered residents. If they were bothering you all you needed to do was let us know and we would have put them in the stable complex for the duration of your stay.
With regard to the views, I really can’t understand where you have seen the mobile phone mast as to my knowledge the nearest one is two and a half miles away in nearby Newtown St. Boswells. The nearest motorway is near Carlisle which is 2 hours away or Newcastle, also 2 hours away. The nearest road is a B road which is very quiet and an A road but that is half a mile away across fields and is not particularly busy. It is interesting also that by far the majority of our guests talk to us about the abundance of bird song given the tree coverage around the site.
As we are just outside a village we do have neighbours but they are a quarter of a mile up a hill from us and with trees in between them and us I really can’t think why this may spoil your holiday.
As I recollect when you were here you were the only guests in residence so you had the whole three acre site to yourself and you had our undivided attention for the three days you were here. We do feel sad that after spending such a long time giving you lots of information and advice on setting up such a project that you leave, after writing a nice compliment in our guest book, and surprised that you asked for a full refund from the agency we work with having never mentioned anything in 3 nights, and now this review!!!
I only hope that if and when you do start up your business that your guests are more honest with you whilst staying at your site.
I do wish you well in your new venture.
Avril Berry
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed here from 4th - 6th April 2012. We stayed in Maharani Roulotte and had the best time ever. We went walking all day then had cosy nights in the Roulottte or by the camp fire. The Roulottes are beautiful inside and have everything you could need. This is the best place I have ever stayed and Avril and Alan (the owners) are lovely people and made our stay extra special.
I would not change a thing about this place and we can't wait to go back. It is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!.

Amy & Lee

1 Thank Amy L
Hi Amy and Lee,
I have only just worked out how to respond to Trip Advisor online and I wanted to say thank you for your lovely review. You have been such excellent guests and have returned already to stay with us in Maharani, again. It was lovely to spend time with you recently and I shall look forward to seeing you with your parents in August. Until then, thank you very much again for taking the time to write such a positive response about Roulotte Retreat.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We have been back home just a few hours and I am compelled to write a review for Roulotte Retreat because I am already pining for it!

We had the pleasure of spending the Easter Bank Holiday weekend in Maharani and loved every minute of it. it's testament to the accommodation when you actually hope it rains...because this provides you with the opportunity to cosy up inside the roulotte and slow cook a stew.

The roulotte is amazingly well equipped. It was much bigger than I expected it to be and was very well appointed. The bed was a very comfortable double and has thoughtful extras like individual spotlights for reading and a romantic bedside lamp for more subtle lighting.
The shower room is well designed and much more roomier than you'd expect (homes I have visited have had smaller showers than this). The shower is powerful and lovely and warm, just the thing after a long bracing walk in the woods or as a great way to start your day.
The main living area is a nice size, with a day bed for lounging, a side table for eating and preparing food, and a wood burning stove that works a treat (just keep some wood inside in damp weather to ensure you get a quick start to the fire).
There is a small fridge of ample size for small bottles, juice, meat and cheese etc. There are also lots of extras that you might not expect - like a Cafetière, toaster, set of sharp knives, BBQ implements, stewing pots, pans, washing up liquid, colander etc In short - you have everything you need (including the kitchen sink!)

The location is lovely - Maharani looked out across the lochan towards the Eildon Hills. You could spot hawks whilst you cooked your breakfast. You can walk to Melrose in about 90 mins, or enjoy a lovely walk in the neighbouring woods along the St Cutherbert's Way.

Come nightfall, we'd grab our wellies and torches and head out on a night 'safari' to spot nocturnal wildlife - including a couple of foxes!

Children are not allowed in the Rolouttes which means its a great place for a child free break away from noise and crowds. I can highly recommend it. If you're a fan of Feather Down Farms and wish for a more comfortable experience without being surrounded by other people's children, then this is the place for you!

It's also appropriate to highlight that we chose this place as a dark sky area - meaning there are excellent opportunities for star gazing (weather dependent). We took our telescope but were blessed with just one night of clear skies (we had typical bank holiday weather).

Should you experience warmer evenings there is a BBQ on hand for alfresco cooking (we managed this one night) and a firepit by the lochan to snuggle up by.

It's a great place for an active break and / or romantic hideaway. Don't hesitate to stay here!

4 Thank ECCLE
Avril333, Owner at Roulotte Retreat, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and informative review, we really do value and appreciate this. It sounds like you have truly experienced the magic of Roulotte Retreat .... do come back again!
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for my birthday in October (2011) In Gitana (one of the Roulottes). It was a wonderful experience, the roulotte was spotless and everything we needed was provided for us. Avril and Alan were lovely, despite us arriving very late having got lost and not telling them when to expect us. They were very welcoming and quickly showed us to our Roulotte. I had a wonderful magical birthday! and even though it rained most of the time we were there it didnt matter, I was quite happy to relax inside Gitana. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katie80_12
Avril333, Owner at Roulotte Retreat, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday with us at Roulotte Retreat and experienced the magic of the meadow! Do come and visit us again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

We spent October half term in the cottage with our 3 kids & had great weather nearly all week. We let Avril know when we'd be arriving and they gave us directions as it was so dark when we arrived we missed all the landmarks to get us there! Avril & Alan gave us a warm welcome andhad even put on the heating in the bowtop Ruby so we could have stayed in her that night. We didn't but the kids & I spent 2 nights in her during our stay (It was so cosy and comfy inspite of heavy rain). The kids loved the 4 dogs, chickens & even the geese. There was loads of interesting places to visit in the surrounding area and Edinburgh was only an hour away too. It was a lovely family holiday and we are looking forward to returning and staying in the roulotte that sleeps4 and is currently being renovated.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank JoDandCo
Avril333, Owner at Roulotte Retreat, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
I am sorry it has taken so long to respond to your wonderful review of Horseshoe Cottage but I have only just found out about responding online on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this and so glad you all enjoyed your time with us here at Roulotte Retreat. We look forward to seeing you here again soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We originally booked for just my wife and me when we were expecting our first child, but the snows in November 2010 caused us to have to postpone, finally arriving in Sept 2011 with our 5 month old son. The Roulotte's are simply brilliant. Incredible workmanship, wonderful detail and genuine comfort - i'm 6'3'' and the only irritation was reminding myself that i didn't have to duck! The meadow is a lovely setting with views of the surrounding geography, and what impressive geography the area contains. Would defo recommend a car to really get the most from the scottish borders area, which is filled with wonder - stunning ruins and human history contained within incredibal scenary. We wouldn't recommend the Roulottes for toddlers (rightly, neither would the owners), but it was great for the 3 of us. The owners are lovely, you feel you have all the help and advice you need, while also being affoded the privacy and seclusion that is such an important part of any camping or glamping trip. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend, and will certainly hope to get back there one day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeamKerrigan
Avril333, Owner at Roulotte Retreat, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
First of all sorry for the delayed response to your wonderful review of your stay with us at Roulotte Retreat! I have only just found out how to respond online on Trip Advisor! We really value you taking the time to write a review and do hope you all come back again soon. Please say hello to your family from us, it was wonderful having you all here.
Avril
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melrose
Burt's Hotel
#4 of 7 in Melrose
Fauhope House
Fauhope House
#1 of 1 in Gattonside

Been to Roulotte Retreat? Share your experiences!