“Bar Meal to be missed”
Review of Burt's Hotel

Burt's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Melrose
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked a table for 7pm on Saturday evening, but found when we arrived it had been given to someone else. We were, however, given another and sat down to wait. We eventually ordered two snacks - declared on the menu to be for the purpose of keeping you going while you wait - and also a main course and drinks. When the snacks did not arrive, we were told that they had to be prepared in the kitchen (already under huge pressure from the Saturday night crowd). Surely the snacks offered should be things which could be quickly prepared at the bar and should not place additional pressure on the kitchen. When I later suggested this to what turned out to be the (very rude) elderly owner, Graham Henderson, he said threateningly: "Shall I just take them off the menu then". An elderly man who was staying in the hotel arrived long after us and was served at least half an hour before us. We were never offered any rolls/bread or any water. My husband went to the bar and asked the owner for some water, as we didn't have any. He told him you only get it if you order it. When he brought it to the table, he banged it down in a rude and unpleasant way. I mentioned the snack problem to him and he asked why the hotel was so full if there was anything wrong with it. The thing that is wrong with it is, of course, his appalling attitude, for which a manageress and the waitress subsequently tried to apologise. As it turned out, the bar food, which had been very good only the previous Tuesday was extremely ordinary this time. An experience to be missed. Altogether not good enough. It spoiled an otherwise very pleasant week in Melrose.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mary M

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Burt's Hotel in June. We had three rooms split between the family, all of which suited us for the 1 night we were staying to attend a wedding. Staff were lovely in helping us secure a table for dinner during the busy book festival and also ensuring we had a taxi booked to get us to the venue and back. Breakfast was excellent and had a great nights sleep on a very large comfortable bed. Would recommend it as a base in the beautiful town of Melrose.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank travelpumpkin
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is in the centre of the town, a welcome sight with an eye-catching floral display.

We had booked a superior room and this was at the front of the hotel. A good sized room, nicely decorated (boutique style) with a good bathroom, a kingsize bed, ample storage, a small flat-screen TV, kettle, tea & coffee, biscuits and bottles of water.

The weather was very warm during our stay and we had to sleep with the windows wide open (no fan in the room) which caused issues with street noise late in the evening and early in the morning. Ear plugs were soon purchased! I don't think noise would be too much of an issue with the windows closed (although only single glazed).

We had dinner in the hotel bar - a busy place and we had an excellent meal with good service. We went back later for a nightcap.

Breakfast is taken in the restaurant at the back of the hotel, with access to the little garden (adjacent to their car park). This was a lovely room and the breakfast was good - the usual choice of cereals, juices, fruit salad, yogurt followed by something from the cooked menu (eg the full Scottish, kippers, pancakes, croissants, etc). Lovely. The only thing missing was a little background music for some atmosphere.

Summary - we would happily stay (and eat) at Burt's again. Melrose is a lovely little town and a good base for exploring the area with a good variety of (mostly) independent shops and restaurants. We chose well!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustMe2010
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Good hotel in the lovely town of Melrose in The Scottish Borders. Booked a table in the bar last night(Friday) and enjoyed a very good bar meal. The menu was extensive offering something for all tastes. The staff were brilliant and the atmosphere was great. A very pleasant evening. Thanks Nick.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank a2mwy
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We ate in the restaurant here two years ago and loved the quality and presentation of the food. As we were once again in the area we decided to eat here again. There were four of us and the bill came to around £180 so it could not be regarded as cheap. On our first visit I felt the cost was justified but not on this second visit. My starter and main course were wonderful it must be said. I was particularly disappointed by the subsequent cheeseboard however. On my last visit it had been truly memorable with a wide selection of local cheeses, homemade quince jelly, a range of biscuits and again presented beautifully. This time I was presented with small portions of just three cheeses, a small pot of some type of chutney which tasted shop bought, only two types of biscuits and the plate was decorated with some wilted celery and a few miserable looking grapes. The final insult was when I ordered coffee that on the menu came, it said, with petit fours. None arrived and I had to ask twice, the first member of staff evading my request. Eventually I was presented with a flapjack unevenly cut into four with a cherry stuck on each piece. When the waitress returned I pointed out that these could not be regarded as petit fours in anyone's estimation to which she replied that they normally had homemade fudge but in the hot weather it was melting (don't they have a fridge?). I would have much preferred that they said they had no petit fours rather than insult my intelligence with a dry, badly cut and decorated flapjack - or were they worried that in that event I would have asked for the price of the coffee to be reduced? Two of our party had steak which came with roasted cherry tomatoes. Although it is true that there was none specified on the menu, they were disappointed that it was not accompanied by some kind of potato dish - the steak was certainly costly enough to warrant one. I think this place is becoming complacent because it has a good reputation. I have only given it two stars because although the starter and main were delicious, my experience with the last two courses totally ruined the experience for me, particularly as everything had been so good the first time around. We will not be visiting again however and I will cease to recommend it to people in that area and to those travelling there - up to this point I have sent many.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank AnthonyBen
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times over the past decade and every time it's fantastic. There is a really warm welcome from all the staff, the bar is very convivial with great bar food and the food in the restaurant is superb with really nice and efficient service. This time we stayed with our small dog and what he a welcome he got! Such a friendly place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and comfortable