“Pleasant stay, owner (alan) very attentive.”

Teviotside Guest House
and 1 more site!
Teviotside Guest House
Ranked #4 of 20 Hawick B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just left the Lux after a good nights stay. We checked in with no problems, shown to our room by Alan who was very attentive and nothing was too much trouble. Provided us with a good cot and high chair with no charge. As we had a baby we asked to keep our room til later the following day and this was no problem and no charge. Great cooked breakfast and service.

previous reviews do not give an accurate picture of this b&b.

We did hear noise from the street at closing time but we chose to stay in a central location so this is to be expected.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank clan mchenry
There are newer reviews for Teviotside Guest House

Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Owner asked me to leave a comment so here goes. Rooms nothing like website photos. Shimsham of furniture. Thought we were booking into a boutique B&B so we were extremely disappointed. Room small for the £70 we paid for the night. Noise from teenage children heard most of the night through thin walls. Dining room - unsure of how to comment on this!! We felt uncomfortable eating here, unwelcoming and unpleasant to sit in due to left over food plates ( seemed like last nights supper ) and owners property lying around. Food ok, supermarket home branded, nothing spectacular. Tip for owner, return this B&B back to how it is presented in original photos and we would pay its worth. We won't hurry back. No way is this anywhere near a 3* B&B standard.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We arrived at the Lux B&B around 16.30 having travelled from Hertfordshire which was a 5-6 hour drive to go to a frends wedding on Saturday 1st December.
We where met by Alan the owner and had a very warm wellcome and helped us with our bags.
we then got taken to our room and where very happy with a nice big bed and bathroom.
We asked Alan where we could go and get something to eat and he pointed us to the town which was very close.
We arrived back after we had eaten and had a very good nights sleep.
We came down for breakfast in the morning and there was pleanty of breakfast to go round and very tasty.
We then finshed breakfast to get ready for the wedding we came down and asked Alan to book us a taxi and he said not a problem I will take you which is a very nice touch.
All in all our weekend at the Lux was excellant and will be going back to see a few more sites of Scotland.
Well done Alan and to all your staff keep up the good work.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at Lux B&B in Hawick for one night - a short business trip in Autumn 2012. My room (6) was adequate but nothing great. Although, on the surface, it looked very presentable modern and fresh, on closer inspection, the B&B does need a bit of a spruce-up.

The most worrying thing was the alcove ceiling over the double bed. The wall covering there looked quite iffy. It had ‘bubbled’ (through damp? Mould?) and threatened to peel off. Not at all appealing. The bathroom also had significant mould around the shower – again nothing that an hour or so’s effort wouldn’t put right.

The breakfast was a bit bland, to be honest, with cheap supermarket own brand versions of cereals etc. I couldn’t help thinking that a couple of quid invested in quality comestibles like Kelloggs Cornflakes etc. would make a difference. Instead, the impression I got was of a somewhat tired accommodation, with everything being done ‘on the cheap’

For £50 a night, I felt this was a bit steep. I won’t be back in a hurry

Adequate but ‘Lux’ sure isn't short for ‘Luxury’

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

After arriving at the wrong b&b (next door, looked nice) I was slightly flustered and concerned to be greeted by teenager and shown into a basement room. I needn't have been. My room was fine, a comfy double with doorless ensuite, the breakfast was buffet style and of good quality, the host was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a one night stay in this small, cosy and friendly family run guest house. I was absolutely delighted with the welcome I received, My room was exquisite, with a lovely outlook from the large bay window. The furnishings we modern and of a good standard and the bed, spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and generous. All in all it was a super experience and I'd gladly revisit. Special mention i'd like to make on Alan, the manager for the friendly and attentive service I received.

Room Tip: I only saw room 1 and I'd strongly recommend it
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Alan went out of his way to make sure we had comfortable and reliable accommodation. During our 14 day trip through Scotland our party experienced several mix ups and disappointments with hotels and B&Bs. Issues like dropped reservations, single beds when queens had been specified, and peaty water had come up and every place we went seemed to have some quirky problem with it. We had no issues at all with the two rooms we hired from Alan for three nights. The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was extraordinary. Our downstairs room had a corner bath which was quaint and romantic (if you prefer a shower make sure to ask for one).

When we made or reservations over the phone (two rooms, three nights) Alan let us know up front that he did not have a vacancy for the last night for one of the couples. A proprietor who knows his/her bookings and knows when he/she has rooms available SEEMS like pretty basic stuff for a B&B (you'd think,lol) but from our experience in Scotland, it wasn't always a sure thing. Alan had his act together and let us know from the start what the situation was. While we were in town he even took it upon himself to arrange a room for us in a nearby B&B for that last night. On the last day when THAT B&B got confused and realized they had double booked us Alan (without us even knowing about the problem yet) booked us a room at another B&B and paid the difference in price out of his own pocket.

1) Was up front with what he had available
2) Arranged accommodation for us at another B&B for the one night he couldn't put us up
3) When that B&B failed, he made things right even though it wasn't his mess up.
4) Great food! Wonderful people! :-)

Room Tip: The rooms downstairs have character. As a tall guy, I bumped my head in my bathroom with corner bat...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawick
The Horse and Hound Country Inn
#4 of 7 in Hawick
Elm Guest House
Elm Guest House
#7 of 20 in Hawick

Been to Teviotside Guest House? Share your experiences!