“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Galashiels
Doncaster
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Once a year I take a golfing trip to Scotland, we had been using the Kingsknowes for a few years then had a few years going to sunny Spain. This year we revisited Scotland and stayed at Kingsknowes, it was like coming home! The owners recognised us on our first night in the bar (even though it musty be 7-8 years since we last visited) as did many of the staff. The rooms are very comfortable and the food is great (look out for the daily specials!). Good location for golfers as there are many great courses close by.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Aberdeen
Reviewed March 26, 2012

If staying in Galashiels this is the place to book in to. Very friendly staff, lovely rooms, the building is fantastic. I actually can't beliveve how clean this hotel was. For all of the little trinkets and antiques I could not see one bit of dust, the staff here must work very hard to keep it to this standard. Breakfast was excellent - overall I can not fault this hotel. Next time I am in galashiels it will be a pleasure to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JetFox
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have stayed in many many hotels all over the UK and abroad, and without hesitation state that the Kingsknowes hotel is the single most worst experience of them all. First impressions from the exterior are that there could be a nice hotel inside, however that is as close to this hotel being nice as it gets. Upon arrival we were left standing in an empty reception for a good five mintes before staff came to book us in. Once booked in we were shown to our rooms which in my case was located on the 2nd floor. The room whilst being big was very very dated, and felt grubby (in all honesty it could do with a good scrub!). The skirting boards were full of months worth of dust, and there was a big crack in the window. The bed was big but was about as compfortable as sleeping on the pavement outside, it was absolutely rock hard!! This in turn lead to me having the worst nights sleep of my entire life, effectively meaning I did not sleep!!! The thermostatic control on the radiator in the room was broken which meant that the room was like a sauna. I spent a good 45 minutes re fitting the thermostat to enable me to turn the radiator off. After my struggle with the radiotor, I decided that I needed a shower. I turned the shower on, and 20 minutes later was still waiting for warm water to start running, there was none..it was bloomin freezing !! I wish I could say it was any better in the morning but it wasnt, which meant i had to wash and shave in cold water..which actually may not have been a bad thing as it woke me up as I was now like a zombie through lack of sleep due to the granite like bed !!

Good points ? The food was Ok, but only Ok. I had the steak which was the most expensive meal on the menu. How dissapointing that when it arrived on the table it came with frozen chips !! The milk that came with the tea at breakfast had a hair in it, very off putting...

For any that are fans of fawlty towers, amd want to experience first hand what it must have been like to stay in that doomed hotel, then this is the place for you. otherwise my advice is stear clear ! I really struggle to understand how there are any good reviews for this hotel...it does rouse my suspicions as to their authenticity !!

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel !!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank hswatts
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This is good quality food,there were 3 of us and of the 3 starters and 3 mains only one course didnt hit the the spot, with my 19 year old daughter (tasted good to me !)
The reason for the high quality of food is the limited menu,good as it is I dont know you would go to often with just one special.
All that sound negative its not ,the food was fresh and tasty the veg were perfect,my daughter even commented on the flavour and texture of her potatoes!
The rissoto with my sea bream was creamy ,arborial perfection,my wife had a good selection of veggie food.
The test for me is would I go back---yes without a doubt.
Try to get a table away from the window if its a cold night,even with double glazing and a radiator it was chilly but it was a very cold frosty night
Staff were relaxed but attentive and friendly

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Excellent thank you for making our weekend memorable the honeymoon site was beautiful. Sharon you made us relly

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here for one night for work, the staff were fantastic a real asset to the team. There is a small grey haired waitress on at night she did everything to accomodate us even though she was rushed off her feet and a young blonde girl was lovely as well. The room itself was on the top floor a bit of an attic room to be honest quite small and the bathroom was old and made funny noises and the taps would take a while to have water come through once turned on but this is an old house and to be expected.It was a single room and at £69 good value really, it had a tv with digital and hairdryer and dressing table so all you need really. I wouldnt be too happy if i got the room for a weekend event with my partner though but suited what i needed it for. One thing is i think the kettle needs changed it a very old fashioned massive thing and i found it quite clunky a nice little travel one would be perfect, also some hot chocolate in the drinks in room would be icing on cake as i dont like tea or coffee! I also found the bedding frustrating, two sheets a tiny quilt and a over throw.. Please be done with the old fashioned B&B bedding and get a nice duvet please. All in all a very clean comfy room and a good nights sleep. Breakfast was served by a lovely lady she was accomodating and even let me borrow her newspaper. Check in and out was done with ease and i will certinaly go back with my partner on a social aspect rather than a meeting booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view they are breathtaking
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank italiabutt
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stay in hotels most weeks due to work, mainly Premier Inns and Main Chain hotels, however I was fortunate to stay in this gem!!! The food was excellent, both in the evening and breakfast. The rooms were furnished to a great standard, the staff were friendly and attentive.
It is a place I am looking forward to coming back to a relaxing weekend break, just a perfect place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Traveller50_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galashiels
The Clovenfords Hotel
#2 of 8 in Peebles
Burt's Hotel
Burt's Hotel
#2 of 7 in Melrose

Been to Kingsknowes Hotel? Share your experiences!