“New owners, Big improvement” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Clovenfords Hotel

The Clovenfords Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Galashiels
Aberdeen
“New owners, Big improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

We came here for a meal recently as we had heard that it had changed ownership. We have visited in the past and thought that it needed some attention to detail. On our most recent visit it was apparent that the staff certainly seem a lot happier. The restaurant was very nice, well presented and vey clean with a good atmosphere. We had a 2 course meal The new owners have made a difference to the place, I had a tour of the place and noticed they are re-furbishing some of the rooms. Great to see this place back on track.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights to explore the borders area. I had a very good sleep both nights, Beds were very comfortable! also the room was very clean with a television, kettle, bottled water, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc. the bathroom was very clean too with a bath and a shower! I had dinner here both nights, food was fantastic with great service. I will be reccommending this place to all my friends.

Room Tip: Room 6 has disabled facilities and is located on the ground floor. Room 5 is a great double room wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay here. The staff were very friendly and helpfull, the room was very comfortable. Our meal in the restuarant very good and reasonably priced, breakfast was also very good with lots to eat.
We would definately stay here again, and recomend this to our friends

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Inverness, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here for a few nights, I had a great sleep, Brilliant Food, Staff could not be more helpful if you have any problems. Gary and Paul (New Owners) were very helpful and happy to help. Would seriously reccomend this hotel to anyone who wants an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Room 7 was a Very Good room!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

short stay in Clovenfords for a meeting in galashiels. Hotel was very comfortable and good service. Very friendly staff and locals. Great atmosphere in the public bar. Not far from galashiels, 5 minute journey in the car.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed at the Clovenfords Hotel for a long weekend with my partner for our anniversary. We were given a warm welcome and the service was great. The room we were given was very comfortable and the staff very friendly. We had dinner two nights in the restaraunt and the food was very tasty and great service. Would definitely recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2012

This has to be the worst encounter I have ever had with a hotel. I looked on laterooms.com to find a hotel in Gala I found the Clovenfords only to discover when I arrived in Gala that it was 3 miles away. I was having a University reunion and there were people coming from all directions to get ready at my hotel room. It was not suitable for me and asked for a goodwill gesture to return my deposit. I was chatting with a member of staff about it and he then turned round to his employeer and said "will you speak to her as she won't shut the [--] up", I am repulsed by these actions. Do not give these people your money do not stay at the Clovenfords hotel. The boss came on and apologosed and gave me half of my deposit back when in fact he should have returned it all as he did admit to hearing that person say what he said minus the swear word - conveinant - do not stay at the Clovenfords Hotel - as you can see I travel often with business and stay in various hotels across all UK cities this company does not deserve the opportunity to ruin your stay. Staff that swear and verbally abuse customers should be sacked, this is the worst example of customer service I have ever encountered - DO NOT STAY AT THE CLOVENFORDS HOTEL. If they spoke to me like that then beware what they are capable of doing. Do not stay at the Clovenfords Hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JetFox
Paul T, Owner at The Clovenfords Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
I would like to respond to your comment made. Firstly my name is Paul and I am a new joint owner of the business. I was on my weekend off and this unfortunate incident has came to light. I do not condone the way in which our staff member has spoken and the individual has been dealt with in the appropriate manner. I have ran my own business for many years and I pride myself in excellent customer service and I am extremely unhappy that on this occasssion a member of our staff has let us down.
With regards to your booking, there is a 48 hour cancellation notice required and on this occassion you did not give this notice so unfortunately we were unable to provide any refund. I am sure that when booking a hotel you would do your homework and check the distance from your reunion. If you had given us the opportunity we would have arranged a taxi service for you for as little as £5 each way. As a gesture of goodwill to compenste for the way in which our member of staff spoke on the phone you were refunded 50% of your deposit. Once again I apoplogise for the way in which your call was handled, the member of staff was correct in the booking procedures but certainly, I whole heartedly agree that the use of a swear word is innapropriate. If you care to read other coments left by other guests then you will see that we are certainly taking the business forward and pride ourself in custromer service which on this isolated incident has let us down. If you are prepared to call me personally then I would like the opportunity to discuss with you.
King Regards
Paul.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galashiels
Bay Waverley Castle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Selkirk
The Townhouse Hotel
The Townhouse Hotel
#1 of 7 in Melrose

Been to The Clovenfords Hotel? Share your experiences!