“Fantastic fish”
Review of Herges on the Loch

Herges on the Loch
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Galashiels
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Herges is a superb place to watch the wildlife outside on the water. The ambience is magical, the food delightful and the staff friendly and helpful.
Scotland
“Fantastic fish”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just had the Sea Bass tonight and I can't think of having had anything so good! Just love any excuse to visit this restaurant. Lovely staff and surroundings, although one down side just now is the pond outside. Full of green algae and a bit smelly. The swans don't seem to bother, so dine inside and enjoy the view.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Herges, a hidden gem.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My family and I have been here on a number of occasions, sometimes just for coffee, other times for snacks, lunch and evening meals.

It has always been consistently good, but tonight prompted me to write this review!.

Without giving a boring blow by blow account, the starters were as diverse as they were good, and the same could be said for the mains. Sadly no room for a dessert (although the mrs had an excellent Sticky Toffee pudding) I had an Irish Coffee whick had a good 1" of fresh cream on top!!.

A great place to eat and a special mention must go to our waitress Kirsty who is very friendly and courteous.

Thank you for a great night!!

• Visited August 2013
sandysan0189, Owner at Herges on the Loch, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again.
Scottish Borders
“A bad experience or a reflection of what it's become?”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I have had lovely lunch and very tasty meals before (although we haven't visited in the past 6months) so when we needed a place for a family celebration (12 people in total) it seemed like an obvious choice.

On the positive: beautiful setting, immaculate toilets & baby changing facilities, waitress was courteous and aware of the needs of the children in the group.

On the down side: menu was on the expensive side, food was very slow arriving on the table (people who didn't have a starter waited an hour from when they sat down for their main course to arrive), 1 child pizza was still frozen when we cut it in half (when it was returned to the kitchen they took the top layer of cheese off, cooked it, added more cheese and re-served the same pizza), accompanying vegetables were not just al dent but under cooked & hard, and the pasta was over cooked and 'claggy'.

We decided not to stay for desserts or coffee and are unlikely to be back.

Based in this overall experience... Tweedbank needed somewhere like this and our first few experiences were enjoyable but without any local competition it had truly taken its eye off the ball (or kitchen staff or who ever else was involved in our disappointing evening). Next time we will be trying other venues in either Gala or Melrose for evening meals where the menu is cheaper and the experience gives you more value for money.

1 Thank Mmm-marmite
Hope to see you on another visit to confirm to you that we still care.
Galashiels, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Having heard mixed reviews, my husband and I went for dinner. Service was excellent, with staff regularily checking on us. The foos was very tasty although the garnish on the pasta was a bit "off puting" - 3 cooked cherry tomatoes covered with lots of lettuce. There was so much I had difficulty getting to the pasta. My husband enjoyed the steak pie. We will be back.

Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“disappointment”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

After hearing mixed reviews on this restaurant we decided to give it a try for ourselves and hsve to say we were very disappointed indeed, I ordered pasta and to say the cost was overpriced is an understatement, although it tasted not too bad I can actually do better myself and wished I had, my partner had the pork and again although it tasted not bad I feel for the price more of the main ingredient in the dish would have been welcome. A place to avoid if you want value for money. Lovely setting though and I get the impression that is what you pay for not the food.

• Visited July 2013
sandysan0189, Owner at Herges on the Loch, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Sorry that you felt that our menu was overpriced for you. We try to have dishes to please all palates and pockets and I do think that on the whole we have achieved that.
I will take your comments on board when we look to bringing on new menus and dishes.