“Clean and friendly”

Ulva Villa Guest House
Ulva Villa Guest House
Ranked #64 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Ulva Villa. It was really clean and comfortable, with a nice breakfast (I really liked the fruit plate!). The hosts were very friendly, and were very accommodating when I changed my arrival time on short notice. We would rebook on a return to Oban!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca C

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I may be a little unfair in my review of Ulva but having spent a couple of nights on the west coast in a different B&B/Guest House on each night I am comparing them against each other. Regretfully Ulva came second in the 2 horse race. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with Ulva however I feel they ticked all the boxes but I felt this was all that was happening and there was no passion, flair, style about delivering the guest experience. The room was clean and comfortable however very small, the same could be said about the breakfast room. The whole time I felt I was travelling on a package holiday aircraft and had to have by elbows tucked in at all times in case I bumped into my neighbour. The TV in the room was at such an angle and of poor quality that all you could see was shadow - the wall bracket was fixed so there was no adjustment - this was an example of ticking the box, yes it does have a TV, but little thought into how useable and pleasant this would be for the guest experience. This was my impression for mant aspects of my stay. On a very positive note the breakfast was very good and the price was fair. If in Oban again I would probably choose to try something else other than rebook - sorry Ulva.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ljmr
Reviewed July 30, 2013

good location within 10 minute walk to city centre, spotlessly clean, very nice ans tasty interiors, the owners are very helpful, warm and friendly, I would recommend this place to anyone going to Oban!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 801Traveller801
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very welcoming clean and tidy good breakfast landlady very helpful and gave us a lot off information the only thing the traffic to near the front door the price was inexpensive and reasonable car park at the back

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Isobel T
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Lovely little B+B, only a five minute walk from the centre of the town and the train station. I was staying in the Garden House which was a little separate house in the garden. The room was very nice- spotlessly clean and very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was lovely, there was a good choice and was freshly cooked. I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and it was delicious- very high quality ingredients and a very pleasant little dining room. The lady who owns the place was extremely friendly and helpful, even when I arrived quite late at night (10pm). I would highly recommend staying here, I will be going back.

Room Tip: Request the Garden Room- is very private and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This B&B is close to the centre of Oban. You can get to the centre on foot (10 minutes), using a shortcut taking you past some shops and parking lots, avoiding the main road. This was very helpful as we wanted to leave the car on the B&B’s private parking lot and make a day trip to the Isles of Mull and Iona (can be booked the day before in the ferry office at the harbour).

We had a twin room downstairs, with a small en-suite bath room. It was not spacious but comfortable. And despite the main road close by astonishingly quiet at night.

From the nice, friendly and welcoming hostess (can’t confirm the negative reports given in some other reviews here) we received very useful tips, like the shortcut mentioned above, and information where to find shops (there is an Aldi and a Tesco when you walk into town using the shortcut), and which restaurants to go to for excellent sea food. When I disturbed her later in the evening because I thought there was a problem with the window (I thought I needed the key to operate the window handle which had blocked) she followed me to our room to show me that the handle worked without a key (simply pressing a small button I had not noticed).

Breakfast is ordered by filling in a breakfast form the evening before. You have the choice between a full Scottish breakfast, scrambled eggs & salmon, Loch Fyne Haddock or a fruit platter. You can also have porridge, toast, marmalade, jam. And in the sitting rooms there is a selection of cereals and fruit for self-service. We tried the Scottish breakfast and the haddock, and both were delicious.

Bottom line: We would definitely stay here again. Ulva Villa is a good place to stay when visiting Oban, good rooms & good breakfast. Nice and attentive hosts. Convenient location for exploring the city and reaching the ferry terminal on foot.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Flogsta
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I was staying at the Ulva Villa Guest House last weekend with 3 of my girlfriends (all in our early 30's). On arrival the female proprietor was unbelievably rude. When we went to check in she advised us in a very aggressive tone "I've just finished cleaning the rooms!" - clearly mad that we wanted to access them - all be it 2pm in the afternoon. I wanted to say I should think so at £30 per head the least you expect is a clean room without having to give the host a standing ovation for it.

After leaving our things in the B&B we went for lunch and a few drinks on return to the B&B at 5pm we were talking and laughing only for the male proprietor to come running from the kitchen to SSSSHHHHH's us and remind us that there were other guests!! What did I miss?? We were talking at 5pm not 5am which I could have understood. Following this we got ready and went back out only to discover that whilst we out the proprietors had been snooping through our things in the room - much to our horror and disgust!!

The website does not indicate that they have an aversion to anyone under 60 and that you are not welcome - perhaps they should make this explicit. I would never recommend this B&B to anyone who wants to be able to laugh and have a bit of privacy whilst enjoying your weekend away. Without dout the worst hospitality I have ever experienced!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends