“Good B&B but it can be improved”

Thornloe Guest House
Ranked #23 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights during a family holiday, occupying 2 rooms. The location is very good for quickly reaching Oban center. Double room was very nice, at the last floor with a good view on Oban and its bay, clean and spacious. The single room was less comfortable, on the back of the house, with sufficient (but not good) cleanliness and orderliness. The breakfast was average, but not memorable. Moreover, due to high number of rooms (in my opinion, of course) the breakfast room loses a bit of "privacy".
Ultimately, I think that it could offer a quite good welcome, but that does not happen because there is a feeling too similar to that of a hotel rather then a warm B&B. In truth, it must be said that this is probably due to the fact that we stayed during the more crowded time of the year (August). Anyway, to be reviewed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Thornloe Guest House

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We paid extra for a sea view room with breathtaking views and I would really recommend doing so. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The little touches, such as bathrobes, decanter of sherry and chilled water were really great. There was even a fridge in the room The whole place was spotlessly clean and breakfast was tasty and generous. The guest house is on quite a steep hill, just behind the Main Street but is only a 5 minute walk. There is a beautiful decking area with fantastic views, but unfortunately the weather wasn't dry enough for us to take advantage of it. Having such a marvellous view from our room allowed us to soak up the sights of boars and ferries coming in however with a glass of wine. We had a fantastic time and would go back again.

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view- well worth it
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights: the view from the bedroom window was fantastic. Everything was spotless but welcoming. Val was really friendly & the perfect host, offering suggestions of where to visit. Very close to town centre but remarkably quiet. The king-size bed we shared was blissfully comfortable. We sampled nearly everything from the breakfast menu (over 4 sittings!) and all was delicious. We highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front offer fantastic views.
1  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed August 27, 2013

If you are going to Oban and want somewhere that is central with good views, good breakfast, quality accomodation and helpful owners then this is it!

Due to the sparce train service I arrived late(more trains next year which having checked before was no problem), to be shown a warm and inviting room on the third floor. Keys to come and go as I pleased, after a filling breakfast, checking out the day on the WiFi it was a few minutes walk into the town centre. Parking is no problem if you travel by car.

Lashings of hot water and biscuits with the in room tea and coffee! What more could you want?

Visit Oan and stay at the Thornloe. I concur with other reviewers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Can not fault this beautiful guest house. Everything was spotless and fresh. We stayed 2 nights in a beautiful room with a magnificent sea view. Very welcoming and everything you could possible want ...parking, excellent breakfast, central location, quiet and of course clean. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 3 ...fabulous views
1  Thank Hefe17
Reviewed August 15, 2013

On my first trip to Scotland, this was one of the hotels that I stayed at. I only wish I had stayed more than one night because my room was amazing! I had a beautiful view of the bay, a 4 poster bed, the room was bright, beautiful and clean. Breakfast was so good, and Val was an amazing host. I love this hotel. If I make it back to Oban, this will be the place that I stay. Oban was a beautiful location with friendly people. Definitely visit Oban and stay at Thornloe if you are visiting Scotland!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Allie P
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room was clean and fresh and bedding and towels where first rate.. We slept very well.

The breakfast was also excellent with a good range to choose from.

If we come that way again we will definately stay again and we;ve already reccommended it to other friends.

One word for our stay at the Thornloe. SUPERB. ;-)

Room Tip: The service is so good here that I think any room would be appreciated.
1  Thank Mistresswinckle