“Gold Medal”

and 1 more site!
The Old Manse Guest House
Ranked #13 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a 3 night stay during the golden weekend of olympics. Simon and Anna were wonderful hosts going the extra mile providing us with local walks, local hostelry information and even the scores for our rugby team. The breakfasts were excellent. I tried the smoked haddock and poached eggs which was very filling. We had 2 lovely evenings sat in the garden enjoying the view and champagne. (Anna provided ice bucket and glasses) An ideal base for a stroll into Oban or exploring the surrounding countryside. Will definitely return when visiting Oban again. Gorgeous sunsets too.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I spent a night in Oban at The Old Manse, and enjoyed our stay. The room was large, comfortable and very clean. Breakfast was filling and tasty; a great way to start the day. The owners were welcoming and friendly, and made helpful suggestions as to local restaurants.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

When I planned our Scottish vacation, I decided to spend 4 nights in Oban so we could see the coast, tour the isles and ride the Jacobite train, all of which are easily asscessible from the town. Plus it seemed like a big enough place where there would be shops and restaurants so we wouldn't have to drive everywhere. So when looking for accomodation, I checked trip advisor and saw what great reviews the Old Manse Guesthouse had and decided to book.

First, it is very well located within easy walking distance of the center. It is clean and Simon and Anna are great hosts. There is made to order breakfast each morning which is delicious. There is parking on site, small but adequate. There is a kettle and supplies to make tea and coffee in the room (this is standard btw in most b and b's, not a plus!) The plus is the small decanter of sherry.

We did not have one of the sea view rooms which I was slightly disappointed by because it's a big plus based on the reviews. However, the room was large enough and there is free wifi. Overall, it was fine. I guess I'm just a pickier traveller and having just left an amazing b and b in St. Andrews, and having super high expectations based on the reviews, I expected something first class.

My biggest 'put offs' were that I found the place in need of a modernization. The decor was a bit old. The bathroom shower head was this kind of all body massager, but it was clearly old so only one nozzle worked and there was not a lot of water pressure. The house is old and it would make sense to invest in some sound proofing. We could hear everything in our room, especially the doors slamming downstairs when we decided to have a bit of a lie in.

In retrospect, what I did not realize because not every place in Oban is available to book on the web, is that there are actually tons of places to stay. Rather than booking in advance, if I had to do it again, I think I'd wait to find something upon arrival.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a sea view room.
2  Thank Adrienne S
annaandsimon, Owner at The Old Manse Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thanks for your review. Just to say the shower in the room has now been completely refurbished. We think that a hot, strong shower is a must anywhere you stay and hope guests let us know straight away if anything is not up to a high standard. We encourage people to let us know before arrival if they have any preferences e.g. sea view rooms, so we can manage expectations and avoid disappointment. If we know about such issues, however small, when people are still here so we have a chance to put things right so you can get on with having a great holiday.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Anna and Simon, thank you so much for the lovely 4 nights that we spent in your beautiful Guest House.

Your welcome was very warm and you made us feel at home straight away. Those extra little touches that we came across everywhere made it all the more special - we love fresh milk in our drinks, not those little sachets.

The view from our room (3) was breathtaking and the extra touch of binoculars so we could see across to the islands was very much welcomed.

We slept exceptionally welcome in the comfy bed (helped along with the complimentary sherry).

Breakfast - that porridge is just to die for, the smoked haddock absolutely beautiful.

The wife is missing looking at Adrian each morning already - I think we need to come back and experience more of your excellent hospitality very, very soon.

Well done - keep up the good work and if you should every decide Adrian needs a new home, he can come and live with us anytime.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We have recently stayed at the Oban Guest House and from the moment we arrived we knew we had picked the best. Our room faced onto the harbour and it was a delight watching the the busy scene. The room itself was large and airy lots of thoughtful touches. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.
Plenty of information in the hallway for walks, restaurants and places to visit.
Nothing was any trouble for our hosts but we never had to ask for a thing! It was all there.
Have already recommended to friends and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Upstairs double front room. Lovely view of the harbour.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here and it was lovely. Our ground floor room was large and well appointed, even with a full tray of coffee, tea, cocoa, shortbread and a bit of sherry. The breakfast was delicious. We were able to walk to all the restaurants and shops in a few minutes. We would definitely recommend this place.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Our review is colored by the fact that we experienced truly miserable weather in Oban and had the worst dinner of our three week vacation at the Waterfront Restaurant, which our host had recommended. But our room was lovely with a harbor view. Simonwas gracious to help with our luggage. Breakfast was hearty and good. All in all, thogh, we wish we had not gone to Oban!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple