“Very nice!”

The Ranald Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Oban
“Very nice!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Rooms and the hotel are lovely! Standard rooms are quite small but fine if you don't plan on spending any time in them other than sleeping! Great service. very modern bathrooms and staff are lovely. Have booked to come back!

• Stayed February 2013
Harry F, General Manager at The Ranald Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Delighted to hear that you are returning!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We as a family had a group on deal and some times you find things not as good as could be but this stay proved that to be totaly wrong.From the moment we walked into the ranald things were 5 star, the staff were friendly and extremly polite it felt as though we were long lost friends they made it feel like home. Our bags were taken up to our room which was great as my health limits me to doing things like that, i just cant praise the staff enough i have never had this quality of service before, Harry please thank them all for us.our room was a splendid gade room and splendid it was the bed was huge, very comfy the facilities great everything was spotless we could not ask for more ( well maybe a slightly bigger wash hand basin) but realy everything was fantastic. Breakast was a delight, nice to get away from the usual fry up, the baked eggs were wonderfull as was the rest of your selection. we will be staying in touch with this gem of a hotel and we wil stay again. So a great big thank you to harry and his staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
John, thank you so much for leaving this lovely review. I'm so happy to hear that you all enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that we will indeed see you again. I have passed your comments on to the rest of the staff. They are always delighted to hear that our guests have enjoyed their experience with us.
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a bijou double room for two nights and could not have been more impressed. The welcome on arrival was great, we arrived before midday and even though checkin wasn't until 3 pm the gentleman on reception allowed us to checkin and then showed us to our room, showing us how to open the window and work the motion-activated lights in the bathroom. The room itself is very nice, the shower is excellent. Breakfast was wonderful, the baked eggs with smoked salmon and the salmon and cream cheese bagel going down a treat.

All staff at the Ranald were friendly and polite throughout our stay, always on hand st the reception to help if needed. Great selection of drinks in the bar as well, although the Muzak left a lot to be desired.

Overall a brilliant hotel which we would have been a bargain at a much higher price.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank richwilson123
Thank you for sharing your experience of The Ranald with the rest of the Tripadvisor community. We definitely need to spend more time on our playlist, trying to create the right ambience isn't easy!! I'm very pleased that everything else was great for you during your stay. We hope to see you again when you are next in Oban.
Somerset
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed for 1 night in a Bijou room which was roomy enough for a short stay but I wouldn't want one for a longer stay..

Room was clean, quiet and modern with a comfy bed. Nice powerful shower in the bathroom. There was plenty of parking on the street outside the hotel but this is January and may not be quite so easy in the middle of the tourist season but the public car parks were only a short walk from the hotel.

I didn't eat dinner at in the resturant but the breakfast menu was a bit different and all cooked fresh for you, my baked egg dish was a lovely change to the usual fayre

The hotel is in a good central location to explore oban and the the surrounding area which is absolutely stunning.

I only have 2 small gripes with the room 1. it was soooo hot, I turned the heater off and opened the window but I was still sweltering and it was -1 outside. 2. No shelf space at all in the bathroom, I had to put my wash bag on top of the toilet. That said I will happily return to the Ranald hotel next time I am in Oban but if its for a loger stay then I will be booking one of their bigger rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Harry F, General Manager at The Ranald Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Ranald. We generally would recommend a standard room for a longer stay and routinely upgrade our bijou bookings if space allows. Although as you say there are no shelves in the en-suites there is plenty of space in the cupboard unit under the sink to accommodate toiletries etc. I agree that we need to work more on getting the temperature balanced. It was hard to get the right balance with the temperature fluctuations we have experienced lately but we are determined to get this right! I am pleased that overall your experience of The Ranald was positive and I hope that we will indeed see you here again.
UK
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here on 3rd January for one night. We paided for a standard room at time of booking and upon being showen to our room we were given a superiour room. It was a quiet time and it was very nice to be upgraded for free and the Hotel not mentioning it or looking for credit so top marks.

The room is excellent, both bed and bathroom are of a good standard as was the breakfast. The Hotel would not be out of place in any major city as it is clean and modern. If we are going to Oban again we will be looking to stay here again as the staff matched the class of the Hotel.

We paid £65 (low season prices) and I really cannot give it anything other than a mark of 5. It is a new Hotel and I hope it will be a success.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review for us. I have passed your comments to the staff and told them to keep up the good work. My team are all passionate about ensuring a fantastic stay with us and I'm pleased that you feel we delivered. We all hope that you will stay with us again should you find yourself in Oban.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights with my partner in a standard room and it was fantastic. The size of the room with en suite is ideal for a couple. Good shower and comfy bed is perfect for any traveller. Mind you this is a metro hotel so don't expect 5 star amenities, but you'd get 5 star treatment. Friendly staff and very helpful. The breakfast is fantastic however I'd prefer some cold cuts with the continental on offer. That's my preference but I still enjoyed the breakfast without it. Good value for money and central location makes it an ideal hotel if travelling to the islands since its in close proximity to the ferry terminal. Will definitely return and please try the kir royale, the home made cassis is gorgeous. Good get away from our daily life in Edinburgh, will definitely spread the word

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Ranald. I'm delighted to hear that you both enjoyed your time with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The room was modern and spacious - very clean too! Breakfast was a great selection and the service was wonderful. They were giving us tips of where to go too which really helped given that we weren't from the area! They let us have a late check out too as our coach wasn't until much later! We tried both restaurants recommended by the hotel and were more than impressed! The Waterfront Fishouse Restaurant and Cuan Mor were both really great! Service and food were top notch! Can't wait to come back

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Philip for taking the time to leave a review of The Ranald. I'm glad that you felt that not only the staff at the hotel looked after you, but the staff at our restaurants did too. It's always great to hear back from our guests and all comments are passed back to my staff and the managers of the restaurants. We look forward to welcoming you back.