“Best fish and chips ever had.”
Review of Oban Bay Brewery

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Oban Bay Brewery
Ranked #43 of 46 things to do in Oban
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best fish and chips ever had.”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Went here for beer. Nothing on draft but the bottled skinny blond was great. Decided to have fish and chips as a starter. Great choice. The food was fresh and the staff were very friendly.

1 Thank ShoeLady6

• Greek first
Brighton, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Beer for the Budweiser generation...”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I like to try local beers, and was delighted to discover that there was a microbrewery behind the Cuan Mor restaurant and bar. So we went in, only to discover that they didn't have any - not the draught (my preference) nor the dark ale (my partner's). We asked if anywhere else would have it and were sent to Sloans Bar underneath the Waterfront Restaurant. They didn't have any either, but the barman said there'd be some available on the Thursday (2 days later): presumably running out is an occupational hazard of a small brewery...

So, Thursday evening, great anticipation. I was really disappointed in the draught (Ginger Jakey) - it was a largely tasteless concoction, For all that it was pulled up with a hand pump, its actual taste reminded me of nothing so much as pissy American lager - Bud, Coors, that sort of thing: bland, inoffensive, nothing to make you actually like it. I couldn't even be bothered to finish it. My partner tried the dark ale (Skelpt Lug) and found that pretty bland too - nothing like as nice as the Williams Brothers Midnight Sun she'd had elsewhere.

Frankly, the pint of Deuchars I had in the Lorne Bar round the corner was a much nicer pint - although, when I went back there to wash away the Jakey, they'd run out of that.... If you want a reliable drink in Oban, you might consider the local Tesco's, which does have a good selection of Scottish brews.

Visited August 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“not worth the wait.”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We like to try local beers but when we tried to on this occasion (in three bars) we were told at each that it had run out but there would be some on Thursday. On Thursday, we eventually got some beer, one pale which was very very bland and the dark ale which was really nothing special. Shame.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lucy G
Glencoe Village, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Good place to visit”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Friendly staff,and all round experience!!!Thank you for the time taken to explain to my Asian friends about all your products.

Visited June 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“oban bay brewery”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I did not eat in the restaurant, I attempted to sample some of the brewery's products. I knew in advance that there was no tour or anything, just a bar area with the draft beers but we were looking forward to this. We attended on a Saturday afternoon to be told that the brewery bar was not open and "might" open later, or it might not! Apparently they only open it if the restaurant is busy. It was quite busy when we were in. They said they did have some of the ales on draft in the restaurant bar so we agreed to sit in there. They only had 2 or 3. I had sampled a limited edition "bloodhound blonde" on the ferry and asked for this. They didn't seem to know what I was asking for, and then said that it had not been bottled yet?!

The beer itself is lovely, but I see no reason to go to this establishment to try them, they are on sale many places. I was not impressed. Maybe if they opened the bar it would become busier??!