“All right for overnight”
Review of Rowantree Hotel

Rowantree Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed here because the ferry from Colonsay was going to bring us to Oban at 10 pm and we did not want to drive far at night. It was hard to find a hotel in Oban where we could stay for only a Friday night during the summer and this hotel was more expensive than other more attractive places we stayed during a month in the UK. The staff were friendly and our room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and efficient. But there was no charm or local feel to the hotel, which seemed like a smaller version of common chain hotels. Breakfast was served in the steakhouse restaurant downstairs and was disappointing. Most offerings were prepackaged (e.g. juice and cereal boxes). I ordered kippers, which should have been excellent in this port, but they were the toughest I have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrequentTraveller149

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend for a friends christening. The location was excellent, however we thought the price was a bit too much for what we got! It had obviously just been renovated...but having laminate flooring in every room made it sound like the room above us were giving us a personal tap dancing show every morning!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel is well situated, staff are friendly and breakfast was good but it's over-priced. You need to run around in the shower to get wet and the internet is slow. Oban is a lovely town, however, and well worth a visit.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed for one night and could not fault this hotel, it's location is right in the centre of town so handy for all amenities - there is a small car park at the rear.

Rooms are clean and comfortable and along with most of the hotel appear to have had a recent makeover.

Food (quick lunch) was tasty and good value and the cooked breakfasts of a good standard, restaurant service was quick and attentive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where do I start?? Given I was willing to pay £120 per night to stay here, I was expecting a bit more than the basics, but no, I was wrong. After driving past it twice (it is like something from the 70s outside) I finally found the 'free parking'- a tiny, pot hole covered gravel pit at the back of the hotel. I parked here then went to check in (through the wide open fire exit that also leads to the bedrooms) In the 10 minutes I was in the hotel, I came out to find a sign under my windscreen wiper stating the space was for guests only. Very friendly!!
The corridor/ stairs leading to the rooms stinks strongly of grease/fat from the restaurant next door. It's very dark and there are stains all over the carpet. The room was small but nice enough, but the view was of the roof and street below. The fact that the hotel claims to have wifi in all rooms is not true, I had to ask at reception about it and was informed by a receptionist that I would have to use it downstairs instead as it "hadn't been working for a while". She was rude and I was made to feel I was in the wrong for even asking.
We did not sleep well at all, the bed uncomfortable, the room boiling hot and so unbelievably noisy- a mixture of slamming doors, busy traffic from outside and the fact that the walls are paper thin. We missed breakfast by 5 minutes and so ask the waitress if we could get a coffee instead. It was clear that we had annoyed her by asking, she literally threw the cups and saucers on to the table. Terrible service.
I was so disappointed by my experience, we cancelled our second night and went to a much better hotel. To add insult to injury, whilst looking for another place we saw the Rowantree advertising rooms for £30 less than we had paid. A truly awful experience,I would never stay here again. The staff don't know what good service is and the hotel is a complete rip off.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank OrangeHume
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just stayed for two nights at the Rowantree. We stayed on Friday and Saturday night, 23rd and 24th August. My husband was taking part in a kayak race on the Saturday. After a 5 hour drive to Oban we decided to have an early night. There was a retirement party in one of the bars downstairs and we were on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel. VERY loud music and live singing started about 9.30 pm and continued until just before midnight! VERY LOUD music!! We could not sleep and when we talked to a member of staff the morning after it was shrugged off. We paid £120 per night and I feel this hotel did not consider the impact the loud music would have on their guests staying in the rooms. The rooms are not at all sound proof and the bedroom doors slamed shut, again very loudly. I asked for discount for poor sleep quality as we checked out and this was declined. Shame on you Rowntree, not very considerate for your guests staying over!!
On the plus side, the room was clean and comfortable, bed was two singles pushed together, a bit hard. Bathroom was clean and modern. Highland breakfast was massive and tasty. I love a nice rich red wine and I felt the choice of wine at the Rowntree was very average and middle of the road, I did not like it. The staff in the bar and at breakfast were friendly and attentive.
I would stay again but I feel it was expensive for what it was, maybe it was because it was the bank holiday weekend and we booked late. I would not stay if there was a function planned with loud music.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuRuLu
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Centrally located this hotel has a tiny car park, blink and you'll miss it, but if you get a space that's a bonus. Not too keen on the entrance from the car park being through a permanently open fire escape. Anyone could wander in here and up to the rooms without passing any hotel staff.

Room not huge but very clean. Nice toilet and reasonable shower,spotless.
Bed very comfortable. TV in room small with variable reception. No chance of a lie in as I was awaken by the sound of kitchen staff shortly after 6.

The hotel advertised wifi throughout but unfortunately this is not the case as it doesn't work in all the rooms.

Breakfast - I wasn't sure if I would have time for a cooked breakfast but since I was never asked if I would like one that make my decision for me. Very odd to be ignored like that but I made my own toast and had some cereal so that was fine. Small cartons of juice made me feel like I was back at school, tacky.

For a clean central hotel this would do fine.

Not necessarily at the prices they charge though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business