“Avoid this hotel...”

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Avoid this hotel...”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Where do I start?? Given I was willing to pay £120 per night to stay here, I was expecting a bit more than the basics, but no, I was wrong. After driving past it twice (it is like something from the 70s outside) I finally found the 'free parking'- a tiny, pot hole covered gravel pit at the back of the hotel. I parked here then went to check in (through the wide open fire exit that also leads to the bedrooms) In the 10 minutes I was in the hotel, I came out to find a sign under my windscreen wiper stating the space was for guests only. Very friendly!!
The corridor/ stairs leading to the rooms stinks strongly of grease/fat from the restaurant next door. It's very dark and there are stains all over the carpet. The room was small but nice enough, but the view was of the roof and street below. The fact that the hotel claims to have wifi in all rooms is not true, I had to ask at reception about it and was informed by a receptionist that I would have to use it downstairs instead as it "hadn't been working for a while". She was rude and I was made to feel I was in the wrong for even asking.
We did not sleep well at all, the bed uncomfortable, the room boiling hot and so unbelievably noisy- a mixture of slamming doors, busy traffic from outside and the fact that the walls are paper thin. We missed breakfast by 5 minutes and so ask the waitress if we could get a coffee instead. It was clear that we had annoyed her by asking, she literally threw the cups and saucers on to the table. Terrible service.
I was so disappointed by my experience, we cancelled our second night and went to a much better hotel. To add insult to injury, whilst looking for another place we saw the Rowantree advertising rooms for £30 less than we had paid. A truly awful experience,I would never stay here again. The staff don't know what good service is and the hotel is a complete rip off.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank OrangeHume

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just stayed for two nights at the Rowantree. We stayed on Friday and Saturday night, 23rd and 24th August. My husband was taking part in a kayak race on the Saturday. After a 5 hour drive to Oban we decided to have an early night. There was a retirement party in one of the bars downstairs and we were on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel. VERY loud music and live singing started about 9.30 pm and continued until just before midnight! VERY LOUD music!! We could not sleep and when we talked to a member of staff the morning after it was shrugged off. We paid £120 per night and I feel this hotel did not consider the impact the loud music would have on their guests staying in the rooms. The rooms are not at all sound proof and the bedroom doors slamed shut, again very loudly. I asked for discount for poor sleep quality as we checked out and this was declined. Shame on you Rowntree, not very considerate for your guests staying over!!
On the plus side, the room was clean and comfortable, bed was two singles pushed together, a bit hard. Bathroom was clean and modern. Highland breakfast was massive and tasty. I love a nice rich red wine and I felt the choice of wine at the Rowntree was very average and middle of the road, I did not like it. The staff in the bar and at breakfast were friendly and attentive.
I would stay again but I feel it was expensive for what it was, maybe it was because it was the bank holiday weekend and we booked late. I would not stay if there was a function planned with loud music.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuRuLu
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Centrally located this hotel has a tiny car park, blink and you'll miss it, but if you get a space that's a bonus. Not too keen on the entrance from the car park being through a permanently open fire escape. Anyone could wander in here and up to the rooms without passing any hotel staff.

Room not huge but very clean. Nice toilet and reasonable shower,spotless.
Bed very comfortable. TV in room small with variable reception. No chance of a lie in as I was awaken by the sound of kitchen staff shortly after 6.

The hotel advertised wifi throughout but unfortunately this is not the case as it doesn't work in all the rooms.

Breakfast - I wasn't sure if I would have time for a cooked breakfast but since I was never asked if I would like one that make my decision for me. Very odd to be ignored like that but I made my own toast and had some cereal so that was fine. Small cartons of juice made me feel like I was back at school, tacky.

For a clean central hotel this would do fine.

Not necessarily at the prices they charge though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ayrshire, Scotland
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Rowantree. The staff were lovely and the breakfast was very good. Even although the room was a bit small it was clean and had all the usual facilities including tea/coffee, en-suite and complimentary toiletries.
The only negative is that the lounge area is quite small and the bar in there does not seem to be opened. We had dinner and the food was good.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Good sized room with fab bed. However the bathroom water pressure was really poor and the excessive noise from the road would mean we are unlikely to choose the hotel in the future. Other guests complained about smells from the downstairs steak house.

Room Tip: Front rooms noisy. Rear rooms get cooking smells!,
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on the 21/22nd July.My husband and I decided at the last minute to book this not to sure what to expect.
the rooms were very nice clean and modern, bed comfortable. I was pleased with this hotel and I would recommend a stay here. hotel nice and central.
Staff very friendly and helpful with loads of useful information about surrounding areas.

I would recommend if you are booking request a room to the back of the hotel if you can. the hotel is central and traffic noise can be loud as well as the pub across the road can be noisy at the end of the night.
this would not put me off booking this hotel again. good value for money, very friendly staff

Room Tip: request a room at the back of the hotel as it can be noisy with traffic at the front of the building
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights (Friday & Saturday) in May 2013. We booked online and arrived Friday afternoon. The hotel has a steakhouse and a small pub on the ground floor. The steakhouse doubles up as the breakfast eating area also. The food was really nice, the breakfast was really nice on the first morning, the black pudding is lovely. The 2nd morning there was a few breakfast items missing and no apologies were made, the full scottish breakfast was just served with some items missing. We ate at the steakhouse on the first night and really loved the food, pre-book a table as the restaurant gets very busy, we also noticed that between 5-7pm they offered a discounted menu which we were not informed about by reception when booking our table but as we arrived 10 mins early we took advantage of this. The scottish stack was really good layers of haggis and black pudding in whisky sauce.

The room was quite small but clean and modern and looked like it has been recently upgraded but our view was of the carpark at the back. All in all the room was fine, clean and comfortable.

The small bar in the hotel was quite basic but nice enough, we spent a few hours here both days and enjoyed watching the music channels and having a few drinks. The owners also own a pub across the road "The Tartan Tavern" which was full of characters when we went in, there wasn't alot of space and it was really busy but had a good choice of beers/ales and a great atmosphere.

I would recommend doing the Oban Distillery tour, we did this on day we arrived and really enjoyed it. It was £8 each and the tour was around 45 mins long. The tour guide took us around the full process of how the whisky is made and we got to try a cask whisky and a dram of the Oban 16yr old. You also get to keep a whisky glass. We signed up for 'friends of classic malts' which means we can get free entry into the other associated distilleries.

I would recommend this hotel but try and get a room with a better view :)

Room Tip: A front facing room might be better - we had a carpark view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple