“NEVER again. Dirty, smelly, small, old and they charge the full price on your bank account when you without telling you.”
Review of The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel
Ranked #84 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2012

the most terrible experience. I stayed here during a trip to Scotland with my family.
I called directly the hotel asking for availability for few nights and I was told there was a room for 3 people available. I asked them to reply by email asap, in order to confirm the reservation. I was immediately asked to provide my credit card number. I said I preferred not, but the operator on the phone told me it was the only way to make a reservation. I therefore provided my credit card details asking them to send me an e mail with the costs and the confirmation of room availability.
I didn’t receive any email in the next few days, so I dropped them again an e-mail asking to know if the room was available, booked or not. The Palace Hotel Staff replied confirming my booking.
The last day, when I was leaving and wanted to pay, they told me out of the blue that they took the money from my bank account when I made the phone call to book the room, however they have never mentioned it, not on the phone, not in the email where they confirmed the booking.
It is unacceptable that they do not specify taht the room price would be FULLY CHARGED immediately. They didn’t specify any of the terms and conditions, and they didn’t even suggest us to have a look at them. They only mentioned the credit card details were the only way to make and guarantee the RESERVATION.
they took the money from my bank account without my written or even verbal authorization, and this is unacceptable.

On top of that, this is less than a very basic B&B and not clean at all. The room was very small, old fashoned and the bathroom so small.
Not a shelf to put your tootbrush on, so you have to leave your soap and tootpaste on the toilet flush.
There is no lift, so unlucky the one that get a room on the top floor.
No car park so you have to pay £9 a day for parking on the street.
The only nice thing I had to say about this place was that the staff seemed very helpful and friendly, until the last day when we went to pay and we the "surprise" that was waiting for us.

Never never never again.

Room Tip: Not on top floor as there is not lift, but a decent view. Check the room before accepting it as it...
2  Thank LACO79
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Unfortunately we find this review highly misleading and inaccurate.

An email confirming the booking was sent at time of processing and this included all our terms and conditions unfortunately we are unable to do this immediately as we have no computer in the reception. There was no mention from the guest to make payment by a different method and there was no request to use this as a guarantee only (which we are unable to do as our card machine is not set to do this).

Despite calling 1 hour before latest check in to say that they would arrive later the guests had still not arrived when we were closing for the night despite this I personally waited for the guests to ensure that they had somewhere to stay.

A room for 2 adults and 1 child was booked however the guests took it upon themselves to have 3 adults in the room in breach of our terms and conditions.

At the time of night that the guests arrived there would be no charges for parking there are also 3 car parks within 10 minutes walk which do not charge and which the guests were told about and given a map for free to locate them easily.

There was no mention of any issues during the stay if there was we would have tried to address them.

There are newer reviews for The Palace Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were happy with our stay and the welcome we received from the hotel.
The room had a great view and we were very happy with that.
It was also very clean and tidy and they even put a toothbrush and paste in bathroom in case we had got none. We thought that a nice touch.
We found the staff very helpful,friendly and welcoming.
People have to remember this is a family business, not the Dorchester London.
We also thought the breakfast Very good too, unless you could eat for the UK in that case a diet should be considered.

Room Tip: Room 9 a great view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank greyeye1
ManagerOban, Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you for your kind words.

This is one of our most popular rooms however it is also one of the smallest but along with roughly half of our rooms it does have a sea view.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Palace Hotel is a family run place above a shop, fronting the harbour. It's attraction for me was its proximity to the railway station. I was greeted warmly on arrival, to the point I didn't need to say who I was. Granted, I'd rung earlier to let them know I'd be arriving by train and it was going to be a bit late in the evening, so I guess that was the clue when a lone Englishman presented himself on their doorstep!

I think I was the only guest in residence as once I'd been given my room key I neither saw nor heard another soul. Combined with the effects of a long journey leaving me not feeling like going out and exploring Oban's bright lights and nightlife, the end result was a very quiet evening.

The room was at the back of the hotel, though that meant I had a view of McCaig's Tower up on the hillside above the town. Everything was spotlessly clean and both the room and the residents' lounge have every facility you'd reasonably expect in an establishment of this nature. Wish I'd thought to ask for the WiFi password before the proprietress disappeared into her quarters, though!

Perhaps the highlight of the stay, in a bizarre way, was getting up for the loo at four in the morning and looking out at the early dawn light illuminating the tower.

Refreshed and revived by the decent shower, I was on my way in the morning, reflecting on an excellent choice to stay at the Palace Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Derby_Dave_UK
bgoban, Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments.

As a result we now have the details for the wifi shown at reception so that they can be viewed by guests at anytime.

We pride ourselves on having somewhere that guests can relax and read a book, play the piano or just admire the view and even when we are full it can still be tranquil most of the time due to different arrival and departure time.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Location, location, location. On the main road over looking the harbour. Bright rooms, clean linens, all round good experience! But if your looking for posh, go elsewhere. Comfort was the name of the game. Didn't have the breakfast but am sure that it was up to standard. Managers were helpful and accommodating. No free wi-fi.

Room Tip: The manager actually allowed us to view the rooms that were available and let us pick.
1  Thank deacondawn

Thank you for your kind comments.

As a result of your review we have replaced the egyptian cotton towels with new super soft 20% thicker towels to add a little more comfort.

BT openzone offer many broadband customers access to their network for free. We also have free wifi at the bar subject to minimum spend.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

At £140 breakfast not included, it's a scam. The room was OK, though very small, the windows let a lot of (cold) air in.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank FranciosL
bgoban, Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2012

We are surprised that you thought that the price was a scam. £ 140 for a sea view room for 3 over a bank holiday weekend is very competitive for the area. We make it clear on our advertising that breakfast is not included. We have breakfast options starting from only £5 and fruit juice, cereal, cooked breakfast, tea and toast for £9.95 per person.

We were fully booked that weekend with every guest paying a similar amount per person.

The room you were in is one of our largest rooms and is around the average size for a uk hotel, we have 1 larger and several smaller rooms.

Reviewed November 11, 2011

If you are looking for luxury accommodation, you need to look elsewhere.

However, my family and our dog found ourselves unexpectedly needing a room in Oban one November evening. (As seasoned travellers know, kids and dogs aren't always welcome in Scotland.) After being turned down at one hotel and scared away by the £165/dbl rate at another, we rung The Palace.

The friendly man on the other end of the line said he could accommodate us and gave an amazing rate. When we arrived to look at the room, he handed us a couple of keys and directed us to look at the rooms at our leisure.

Having no pre-conceived notions about The Palace, we took the place for what we found: a tired Edwardian hotel that had all the earmarks of being run by a couple of good-hearted people doing their best to overcome years of neglect.

I speak from experience when I say that they are fighting what may very well be a losing battle -- the vast expense and time of renovating and maintaining one of these places (and there are hundreds of them within 100 miles of here) is enough to make you want to find a bridge to jump off. On our visit, there was clearly renovation work going on, which we took to be a healthy sign.

So what about the room? We chose one in the front with water view, which was perfectly serviceable, and made up for its faults (detailed -- with varying degrees of exaggeration -- in previous posts) with some truly thoughtful extras, such as bedwarmers and little toothbrushing kits (the latter desperately needed on this impromptu stay). Although not completely modernised, the room was very clean and beds comfortable. To our delight, we found that the beds were made with a top and a bottom sheet -- no roasting/freezing with only a duvet on top. (Are you listening, Sofitel?) We were able to walk to a first-rate dinner, enjoy all the benefits of being on the High Street, sleep well and wake up to a stunning view of the harbour.

As for other reviewers’ complaints . . . Parking: our host thoroughly briefed us on the situation. Missing elevator: visit Amsterdam sometime and you’ll never moan about stairs again. Scarcity of staff: learn to read between the lines -- when a Scottish hotel says it's "family-run," that means there won't always be staff around because often the staff is merely a couple, one of whom might be out fetching beer that never turned up on the delivery whilst the other is dangling from the roof trying to coax a bird's nest out of the gutter with a billiard cue. You mustn’t expect constant attention, which is why there’s a service bell.

This was a perfectly fine place to sleep in Oban. Romantic? No. Polished? No. Good value? For us, yes, but perhaps not for others who paid 3 times what we did. Friendly and honest? Yes. We have done much worse in Scotland, and paid more to grumpier people for the privilege.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank anderjim

Thank you for your kind words.

We are a small family run hotel in a building that is over 100 years old and we are constantly doing repairs and making improvements.

The rooms are of varying shapes and sizes (and prices) however we try and remain competitive for the area.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I've stayed here on many occasions with my father, who's 80. It's on the sea-front and the view is second to none. There's always a warm Scottish welcome and the breakfast is more than adequate. The only downside is that there's no lift and I could imagine that this might be problematic for some folk - be aware that you'll need to climb at least 2 flights of stairs. Book a room at the front - the view with the ferry coming and going is very poetic and makes you just want to jump on one and take off to the islands!

Room Tip: Ask for a front room - might be more expensive - and could be noisy as I don't think there's...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PamSouthLakes
bgoban, General Manager at The Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We are always looking at ways in which we can improve our service to our customers so please feel free to pass on any suggestions that would make your stay with us more enjoyable.