“great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

got this place last minute and only paid 30 pounds through late rooms well worth the money and that was for a couple with breakfast included. was dreading the room but it was beautiful clean and warm would defo go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 31margot
OHIML, General Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts on Trip Advisor.
I’m glad to read that you found your room beautiful and clean and found the hotel 'well worth the money’. Our staff work very hard and it’s great to see this reflected in our reviews.
We hope to see you back at the Regent Hotel Oban very soon

Regent Hotel management and on behalf of all the staff at the Regent Hotel Oban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Matlock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had an overnight stay in the hotel and, although it is rather tired, we found it to be very good value. The staff were excellent and their friendliness made up for the shabiness in some of the decor. We were travelling with our dog and she was made welcome as well. It is in a lovely location; a down side is the lack of car parking but there is street parking nearby and Oban has some free car parks. Breakfast was good and dining room has lovely sea view. We stayed on a Saturday night and had a room to the rear of the hotel with nice view of Tower; there was some noise from local pubs at closing time but it didn't go on for very long - this is not a fault of the hotel and would have affected any hotels near town centre. We will certainly use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get room at front as I think it will be quieter and will have sea view. If you are in the re...
1 Thank Sandra S
Thank you very much for posting your kind comments on to Trip Advisor. I’m glad you found the staff excellent and very friendly. I was also happy to read that you enjoyed the food during your stay. I was happy to read that your dog was also treated well!
We hope to see you back at the Regent in the not too distant future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

As we arrived, the lift broke down, trapping elderly customers inside. We had to carry our bags up 79 stairs to the 4th floor. On recuperating in the bar, we witnessed a rant from the duty manager at unhappy elderly customers - he said that the hotel did have a second lift but that it had been condemned 4 months ago and that the owners had not fixed it, so everyone would have to walk ... A lovely 86 year old gent on a coach party, commented that he moved from his house to a bungalow to get away from the stairs! When the general manager returned, he did at least apologise for the lift problem & offered free drinks in compensation. I could say more about the lift issue, but in short, you could make a training video from how not to deal with customers from what we witnessed. Generally, the hotel is in a perfect location on the waterfront in Oban but is very tired and suffers from lack of maintenance - there were stains & crumbling paint, drafts from old windows, a faulty electric point in our room ... only the TV looked new. The breakfasts were plonked on our plates - my husband's eggs were inedible and when we complained we got excuses from the waitress, not an apology. I would love to return to Oban, but not to this hotel.

1 Thank Dougal2110
OHIML, General Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip advisor .We take all feedback for the Regent seriously whether positive or negative.
Unfortunately during your stay the elevator did suffer a breakdown which was caused by one of the many safety features incorporated in the lift itself. I am well aware of the huge amount of issues that this breakdown caused and although you felt that we could have dealt with the related problems better we did move as many elderly guests as possible to lower floors. We also offered (as you mentioned) every guest complimentary drinks ,we recalled every member of our staff from their days off and in some cases their annual leave to help guests with mobility issues. We also employed the services of two major elevator repair specialist to ensure that the repair date could be brought forward by two full days.
These points are only mentioned not as an excuse but to ensure our guests are aware we do everything possible when we are faced with major issues such as the ones you encountered.
I would once again like to apologise to yourself and your party as I am sure this would have tarnished your holiday .
Regent Hotel management and on behalf of all the staff at the Regent Hotel Oban

Travelers are raving about these Oban hotels

scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here during a weekend away. The hotel was well located and the staff friendly and helpful. Unfortunately there was no parking.
The hotel is old but had a retro feel to it due to the period of the decor. This was not unpleasant and actually gave the hotel a certain charm. Our room was located at the front of the hotel so we had a lovely sea view. The room had single glazed windows so was a little colder during the night. None of this detracted from our stay and we would certainly return.

2 Thank 757mary
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on trip advisor.
I was glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and our location.
It is always nice to hear that our staff were friendly and helpful and as always I will pass these comments on at our staff meeting.
We also have a new stock of portable heaters in preperation for another cold Oban winter, these will always be avalible from reception 24 hours a day.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Regent in the near future .

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was in Oban on business and this hotel was booked through an agent. On arrival I was greeted by a pleasant & polite receptionist and was given a room on the 3rd floor. When I opened my room door the smell of smoke was so strong I phoned reception and asked to be moved. A member of staff, again very pleasant, brought a key to the 'smokey' room and stayed with me to ensure I was happy with my new room (directy opposite) which I was - well sort of. Both rooms were old and tired as was the hotel in general. Although the shower was powerful it went from very hot to very cold and back again so washing was an eventful experience. At breakfast the staff were again very pleasant and attentive, dining room tired, the table cloth stained but the food was fine. The cereal & yoghurts were self service with the cooked breakfast served to order (you could choose black pudding or haggis and fried bread or potato scone which seems a strange form of portion control). My rating is mainly due to the pleasant staff as I would not stay in this hotel again and would certainly not spend my own money (@ £54 pp) to do so.

Room Tip: If you must stay here then ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Inverclyde
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on trip advisor, I am sorry about the issues you encountered on your arrival at the Regent. I have spoken to the head housekeeper and she wishes to join me in my apology as this is far below our usual standard and should never have been allowed to happen. I was glad to read that throughout your stay the staff were all very pleasant and attentive. We have carried out maintenance work on many rooms since your stay and these works included the room that had issues with the shower and this is now fully operational .
I would like to thank you again for your comments as all feed back helps us to improve our guest experience .
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked two sea view rooms via the Oxford hotels & inns website. Unfortunately somewhere along the way the booking was recorded incorrectly as one room for two nights, rather than two rooms for one night. We arrived late in the evening, so by the time the mistake was discovered there was only one remaining sea view room available. That was a little disappointing as we had paid an additional fee to secure rooms with sea views.
However, the staff member was very apologetic and reserved us a table with a sea view for breakfast. So we tossed a coin and out friends took the view-less room, which was a bit larger than ours, so all were happy.
The hotel is in a beautiful old art deco building which must have been grand in its day, but could do with a lick of paint.
It has a nice feel to it though. The rooms were comfortable and very clean and the breakfast, while nothing fancy, was nice and the staff were attentive. The manager also arranged a refund for the sea-view supplement we had paid on the second room. A perfect reasonably priced place to stay for those passing through Oban. I wouldn't book it for a special occassion though.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank worthyadvisor
OHIML, General Manager at Regent Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor recently, I was happy to read that you found the staff polite and courteous ,and you enjoyed the view from your room and had a pleasant stay .We do have on-going staff training in place in addition to our current refurbishment program. I have spoken to our reservations team with your comments and they would like to join me in apologising for the issues you encountered during your stay. We are however thrilled that you appreciated the art deco style in the hotel and can let you know that we are now in the process of refurbishing several areas within the hotel.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave your comments , as ever we will use this to improve our overall product .
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My parents were recommended this hotel by Co-op travel, supposedly meeting their criteria for facilities for the disabled.
There was no step-free access apart from via the single hotel elevator, from the ground floor service level accessed from the street, which was too small to hold a mobility scooter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor, I’m sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Regent and the hotel did not fit your parents needs. I can assure you we are working hard to improve our situation and improve our facilities for all guests.
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments, we use all feedback to improve our product and standards and I will be discussing as always your comments with all our team at the Regent .