“Great family hotel.”

Best Western Muthu Queens Oban Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were 5 adults and 2 children, all family, who stayed at this convenient, comfortable and cost-effective hotel in lovely Oban. Rooms were more than adequate and spotless. Breakfast was really good with personal attention as to how one likes their eggs cooked! The staff were very friendly and couldn't help us enough to make our stay pleasurable. More than that, one of the children got sick, messing up the room somewhat, the staff could not have been better in their assistance, reassurance and understanding of the situation. Thank you staff of "The Queens" for a very friendly and caring experience at your hotel.

Brendan from Ireland.

Room Tip: Front of house has the views
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
raymondhyams, Manager at Best Western Muthu Queens Oban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the BEST WESTERN the Queens Hotel.

Many thanks for your kind comments. I will pass on your thanks to the staff.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Spent a super night in the Queens hotel in Oban, We had a room towards the back, but still managed a view over the bay which was super! The room was modern an well appointed with a fancy Jacuzzi bath. Normally I am normally disappointed with the cleanliness with Scottish hotels, and in particular the bathroom, but this was different!
On the night we stayed there was a special menu for Hogmanay. What a meal, possibly as good as I have ever eaten! Not sure if it was the same chef on breakfast, but thoroughly enjoyed a hearty Scottish breakfast! The staff were also very accommodating and attentive!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad to read that you enjoyed your Hogmanay break and many thanks for your nice comments about the hotel, food and staff.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you are looking for a hotel in the Oban area do NOTpass this one by! Being honest I almost dismissed this hotel, as held an outdated impression of Best Western hotels. If this little gem is anything to go by I will have Best Western on my radar for the future. Location...outstanding, pretty outlook to islands and sea a road's bredth away. A 2 min drive from Oban centre if that and very quiet as last hotel on the sea front. Welcome as warm as you could get. Public rooms warm, clean and relaxing. As a single traveller I expect being allocated a small room but at least this one was spotlessly clean, with all the usual tea/coffee, hairdryer, etc. However this also had a jacuzzi bath with shower over, with towels deep and fluffly. Guest information provision in room really excellent, never seen such first class information layout. So overall room quite adequate given the hotel rating of 3 stars. This establishment FAR outranked in every department a recent stay at a self proclaimed "luxurious" 4 star in London! This hotel's real stripes are earned in its lovely restaurant run by a 2011 Scottish Chef of the Year. Imagine what the conjures up...spotlessly clean, waiting staff superb, varied interesting menu, food delicious and imaginatively presented in a dining room with a view and at extremeley reasonable prices. I had their Xmas menu and it was so good I spent a almost 2 hours in total enjoying every course. Even if you are staying in another hotel in Oban make sure you have a meal here, you will not be disappointed. This little hotel was fantastic value for money and rarely have I enjoyed the whole "package" as much. Miss this one at your peril!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for all of your kind comments about the Queens hotel. All of your comments will be passed on to our entire team here at the hotel.

The only thing I would like to point out is that we are 4 Star AA and 4 Star Visit Scotland and not 3 star as you quoted.

Hopefully you will return soon for another visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great location with fantastic views over Oban bay. Ample free parking. Rooms medium sized and reasonably comfirtable. Majority have a sea view of sorts, our view was partially blocked by the front building as we were in the back. Jacuzzi bath was a nice surprise. Good breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff.
A bit pricey, I'd say on par with some London hotels I've stayed in, but it was New Year and Oban hotels are always expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view when booking, preferably front building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queens in the near future

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel over Hogmanay 2013/2014.
The staff were friendly and welcoming.
The rooms were clean and comfortable.
The beds were great and we slept well, we were woken by other guests arriving home later than us. They did not make any noise other than settling down for the night but the walls are thin and I could also hear the guest next door snoring!
The one issue I had was breakfast which was not hot. Some additional options could be requested to be cooked fresh and with hindsight I should have taken that option. The fruit salad is the first I have ever had where my bowl contained only apple! Staff had told us the hotel was closing that day so I am sure they were simply using up what they had?
All in all it was good value for money and I would return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry you disturbed by other guests during the night. The breakfast buffet is topped up regularly and monitored and there is no reason for food not being hot. No other guests mentioned this on the morning concerned. I have passed your comments to the Breakfast Chef.

Hopefully we shall see you return soon to the Queens for another short break.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed at The Queens Hotel whilst visiting Oban for the New Year celebrations.

The service was excellent from the outset - well done! On arrival check in was very straightforward and I was charged for the first night's stay with the balance due on departure. I found the room to be very well appointed with a king size bed, flat screen tv and plenty of cupboard and storage space. The bathroom was clean, bright, equipped with a Jacuzzi bath (I believe all rooms at the hotel have these) and all the fittings were in excellent condition.

Breakfast was served in the Hotel's Glen Campa restaurant and provided a continental or full Scottish offering which was of good quality.

I would definitely stay at the hotel again if visiting Oban.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Queens in the near future

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked for one night here before catching the ferry to the Isle of Mull. Very friendly staff, very clean and excellent food. Ideal place to stay whilst visiting Oban or doing what we did by breaking up our journey.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple