“Thoroughly enjoyable!”
Review of Oban Bay Hotel

Oban Bay Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. By the time we eventually arrived (due to a crash and backed up traffic on both (!) routes to Oban) we were quite tired and very hungry. The kitchen had thankfully stayed open for us (and other stuck guests) and provided us with a glorious 6 course taster meal. Every course was scrumptious, not too filling, but definitely enough!

Our hotel room was lovely, a very comfortable bed and good facilities. The view wasn't that wonderful from the room, but then again we didn't ask - nor pay - for a sea facing room.

Our breakfast on the first morning was a hearty full Scottish, a few pieces missing from what I'd like to have at home, but still enough to kick start your day! My next morning's breakfast was slightly less (due to a hangover) but still delicious.

The location of the hotel itself is wonderful, glorious views over the water and close enough to town for a lovely wee saunter along the waterfront to get into it.

I didn't use the hot tub or spa facilities, but I definitely will do the next time I go back.

The staff are very warm, welcoming and helpful. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_ObanBay, Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will pass your kind comments on to the team. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

SH

Write a ReviewReviews (1,858)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel last month for 3nights on a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast basis. Really great location on the sea-front. Great welcome by hotel staff. Our room was spotless as was any place we went to in hotel. The dining room was well laid out and staffed with young ,well presented and very informative staff . Food was excellent, top marks to the chef and his assistants. The management and all of the staff are extremely professional and very welcoming, they went out of their way to make sure everything was just perfect and nothing was ever too much trouble. We would like to say a Huge thank you to everyone at the hotel for a fantastic holiday and are looking forward to returning on the 17th June !

M and D , Kilmacolm

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M_and_D-Kilmacolm

Thank you for your kind comments, I look forward to welcoming you back in a few days.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Spent 2,nights here on DBB rate and although enjoyable I was not overwhelmed. Bathroom was very small and in need of refurbishment, long treck through corridors to reach our room. Staff were all extremely friendly and hard working. Breakfast was not buffet style which I prefer and the food was very tasty but our evening meal was a bit disappointing, we were advised that our meal was the 6 course taster and if we decided to order from the A la carte menu we had to pay a supliment for each course which in my opinion made it an expensive meal. We stuck with the taster menu but were disappointed with the deserts on both evenings. I would stay again but on a B&B rate, unless guests had the choice to order from the other menu with a set allowance per guest .

• Stayed: June 2014
Manager_ObanBay, Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am so sorry you were dissappointed with your meal, the kitchen team do strive to ensure quality at all times. I thank you for your comments on the pricing of our menus, this will be considered at the next review.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My traveling companion and I arrived after a long arduous drive from Glasgow and a great tasting tour at the Oban distillery. We were ready to settle in but when we arrived the twin bedded room we had reserved was not available but we were immediately offered two single rooms for the same price as the one twin. That's great customer service.

After settling into our rooms we had drinks on the small outdoor patio followed by an excellent dinner in the restaurant.

The single room, while quite small was very adequate with a modernized bath. The only challenge was getting to the room. Many steps, hallways, more steps until finally arriving at the lift. Then down and around winding hallways. If one is in any way physically challenged, he/should check carefully before hand about room accessibility.

The next morning there was a nice classic breakfast offered which we greatly enjoyed.

The only other matter than accessibility one should be aware of is parking. This is a fair sized hotel with only 6-7 on site parking spaces. One has to park on the road or "behind the cathedral."

Finally, the location is great. Across the road from the sea which has a nice walkway leading to the high street just a few blocks away.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team. I hope I can welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the near future.

Warms Regards

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a short break at this hotel. Although the room and public areas are a bit tired I have to say that it has a spectacular location with views across the bay. The food was excellent and the staff couldn't do enough for us. We will certainly return in the not too distant future.

1  Thank Robert H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team and hope that I can welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

As it was a special occasion we were in one of the junior suites. It was a fantastic room well worth the money paid. A four poster bed, seating area with leather couch and very large bath, flat screen TV, DVD player(DVD's available from reception), radio and kettle etc. The view from the room could not be improved upon, it looked straight out to the sea and the islands - lots of boats coming and going and was close enough to hear the announcements on the Calmac Ferry as it passed. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was okay, a fairly limited menu taking into account the number of European visitors, could do with an update. But what we had was good.

Room Tip: Try to book one with a sea view - you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I am so glad you enjoyed the luxury of one of the suites, especially the breathtaking views. I hope you will consider booking the Oban Bay Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed two relaxing nights at this super seaside hotel in Oban. A lovely sunroom with uninterrupted views out to the bay is especially inviting. Had dinner and breakfast here.
Food was excellent and service was good too. Really enjoyed this part of Scotland, largely unspoilt and lots of local charm.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank almeriaAustralia

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was truly appreciated. I will pass your kind comments on to the team and hope I can welcome you back to the Oban Bay Hotel in the near future.