“Short break”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Short break”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have just returned from a short break (three days) at the Oban Bay Hotel in Oban. This was a great success. Excellent food, very attentive staff, beautiful views from most areas in the hotel. Our room was not great but this only slightly marred the experience. We did not get the impression that our room was typical of the hotel. They appeared to be fully booked and our contract with the hotel was for the best room available on the day. Be sure to ask for a room with easy access or available via the lift. This was one of the other draw backs re the room we were allocated. If we had moaned I am sure it would have been dealt with.

The other visitors were exceptional friendly and helpful when sharing places to go etc and tips on how to make trips with ease. Met some nice people.

Although very walkable to the main streets in Oban there was a bus every twenty minutes at the side of the Cathedral just seconds from the hotel. There is no bus stop there but you can flag the bus down and same on the way back. Driver happy to stop at the side of the Cathedral.

Remember to book parking outside of the hotel - is available but limited.

We took advantage of going by bus from Edinburgh to Oban. Good journey, lots to see on the way. Some may think quite a long journey but it did not seem over lengthy. No real stopping so take a snack.

The boat over to Mull was very easy to organise. The buses awaiting the boats to take the visitors to the places of interest on the island were particularly well run and the bus driver was particularly helpful in ensuring everyone knew the timetable for returning to the boat etc. Don't hesitate to use your bus pass, if you have one.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with easy access. We had to walk up to the second floor and had to do...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_ObanBay, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Patricia H

We are glad that your overall stay was a good one, and note the points you make in relation to the room, and to the long walk to your room.

The hotel annexe was built some years ago, so it is a bit of a trek to the rooms, however we are happy to offer assistance with luggage, and storage areas for those wishing to drop luggage off early and continue with their day.

We are so glad that you enjoyed the company of the other guests in the hotel - indeed, it is wonderful that you have given (and been given!) so many pointers towards day trips and excursions. More information is available at reception for our customers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oban Bay Hotel and Spa in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Hotel reception vastly under staffed, had to wait circa 20 mins to book in. Room OK, but small over looking car park and needs updating. Lack of car parking at hotel unless booked in advance, even then it's very tight. Great views from hotel frontage, our room looked over carpark, thought I'd got a deal on late rooms at £155 for room & breakfast, however double rooms advertised in hotel for £165 with sea view. Didn't dine in hotel, due to prices and view over road up to car park and youth hostel next door ( where if booked in, you have free parking and better views from accommodation at a vastly reduced rate).

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_ObanBay, General Manager at Oban Bay Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear johnwhite18

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologise for the wait you encountered upon check in, we are reviewing staff rostering at peak times and the level of hardware we have at the desk to allow a speedier check in. We have 80 rooms, so sometimes when a lot of people arrive at once, it is not possible to check in as quickly as we would like, and for this we are very sorry. We are looking at ideas to make any wait the customer has, as comfortable as possible.

The car parking situation is the same for all of the hotels on the front, and we do our best to let people know where to park - I am sorry this information does not seem to have been relayed to you.

Regards prices in the restaurant, we operate a table d'hote menu which is a set price of £19.95 per person for three courses (with choices), as well as the more expensive a la carte menu.

Kind regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with a voucher deal. To pay the advertised normal rate would have been a rip-off.
Our room was comfortable and clean, wit plenty of drawer space, but it was quite small, in an annex at the back, as most of the rooms are. It was quite dark with one small window facing into the wooded cliff at the back. There was no light shining into the wardrobe. The only way to see what was in it was to use the light spilling over from the bathroom.
Parking was poor: for over 100 rooms there were about 10 parking places.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful.
We did not use the restaurant. In a town with so many excellent seafood restaurants, why dine somewhere mediocre ? We were not impresses by the breakfast.
Nor did we use the "spa facilities".

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kevhigg

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are pleased to note that your room was comfortable and clean, although we apologise for the lack of light to the wardrobe, we shall have a look at seeing how we can remedy this.

Regards the parking, unfortunately all the hotels on the front are in the same position as us, with each having a very limited amount of parking space, however we do try and direct our guests to the nearest parking facilities - I am sorry that this information does not seem to have been relayed to you.

I am sorry that you were not impressed by the breakfast, and hope that in the future you let us know at the time so you would not be leaving us disappointed. We do not wish any guest to leave us disappointed, but would have tried to make the experience better had we known at the time.

Kind regards
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Lovely hotel overlooking the water, 2nd stay in this hotel very quaint, clean and welcoming. Staff was lovely and helpful. Several options for food and in walking distance of of the shops and places to eat. Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here, and we hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards
New Forest
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night in May 2013 as this was the only hotel in Oban with off road parking without having to stay in a B&B. Being a spa hotel I assumed wrongly it was going to be of top quality. There was no spa pool, just a hot tub outside. I didn't try treatments as this wasn't the reason we came here.
My inital thoughts of this hotel that it looked amazing from the outside (despite the plastic hedge that greeted us).
The reception and bar area looked inviting, clean, warm, great ambience and friendly staff.
We had booked a room with a bath at £160 per night and this happened to be on the 2nd floor up. I'm on crutches and was told there was no lift and that we could upgrade to a larger room for more money on the first floor. Thanks but no thanks. There were two staicases, one out of use so what one did in the event of a fire heaven knows. (This could potentially be a death trap should there be a fire).
My first response to the bedroom was a pleasant one. Until I looked a little more carefully. The bathroom had a broken pane of glass that was hidden behind a frosted pane of glass, the sink taps were old and need replacing, the grab bar on the bath was loose, the toilet paper supplied was something you'd find in a perhaps a no frills bed only place with a high poke through factor, the towels weren't large bath sheets and thin (as you'd expect to find at a "quality" hotel like this one), and the wood by the window was rotten. There were pee stains everywhere (well, I think that what it was) and needed a thoroughly good clean.
The room itself needed at least £1k spending on it just to make it habital. The double glazed window unit came out of the wall. When we did manage to open it, it wouldn't open it fully. There was rotten wood in the room and one could feel the cold air whistling through the window. The view was good but limited (think this room must have been used for servants at some point in its history).
As for the cleaning, very dusty. An uncomfortable bed which left me in chronic pain the morning after. The pricing of this room meant we were supplied with a DVD player and a radio/cd. There was no scart lead from the tele to DVD player (which was supplied when we complained), no batteries for the DVD remote control so were having to switch batteries from the radio remote to make the DVD player work, and on asking for batteries, reception didn't have any.
The food, however, was excellent but pricey and the waiting staff were polite and friendly. I was horrified though at the supplement that we had to pay as we were paying bed and breakfast prices only. Not diner, bed and breadfast. A good selection of wine. Breakfast too was good and a supplement added if you weren't paying B&B prices.
The bar had a good range of drinks to choose from but expensive.
We will never stay at this hotel again and the only reason we did was that we finding and photographing "Ring of Bright Water" film sites, such a shame. The company, Crerar, who own this hotle chain, states this hotel is the best one they have. Heaven knows what the other ones are like.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NewForest-Truffles

Travelers are raving about these Oban hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here in July2013. It was the start of our 7week U.k.trip from Ausralia. My daughter booked this hotel for 2 nights as she lives in the western highlands.and we wanted to take them on the 3 isles trip.So there was 3 adults and 2 teenagers.Reception was a bit dour but I think they were stressed. Our room had a seaview as requested but it was pretty small ,a bit tatty, although clean enough. But the price was exorbitant !!!.Before we left Australia I had done a lot of research on trip advisor and as I had already booked all our other accommodation--just for my husband and myself, I thought I was familiar with the general feel on prices etc. When my daughter told me the price she was quoted(we needed 3 rooms) I actually thought it was for the 2 nights we were staying.You should have seen my face when,on checkout, I realised the price quoted was only for 1 night,so it was actually double. Smelling salts were almost required!! Breakfast was pretty skimpy,but ok. My husband ordered a cappuchino and we were told that would be extra. Why? I still don't really know. My daughter and granddaughter did not turn up for breakfast and I realise that was their problem My grandson only wanted a hot chocolate,no breakfast-- dietary problems, and ,guess what --that was extra as well for the same obscure reason.I did point out that he wasn't having any breakfast but that did not count. We visit the UK every 3 years because of the family and because I was born and bred in Glasgow but we have travelled all over the world and I have never encountered that situation before. I woukl have let it go if it hadn't been for the room rates. I was quaking in my boots as to what the other accommodation was going to be like as none of it cost anywhere near that. Well let me just say all our other places were just great--thank God. For example,one of them was the Crowne Plaza**** at Reading. We went there for easy access to London-30 minutes on train. It was a lovely hotel situated beautifully --right on the embankment of the River Thames. Big room and It had a large outside terrace -riverside- to eat and have a drink, big indoor swimming pool and spa-lovely, and a huge fitness centre-which we didn't use--we were on holiday!! Also join the priority club(free) and there were free drinks and nibblies between 6 &8pm.-- we used that--and continental breakfast. The cost was almost half of what we paid at Oban. Anyway our trip was just great. We are fairly flexible people but I just felt I had to have my 'say'.
Anne
Melbourne Australia

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank anne1941koomen
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I liked this hotel in part because of its location and value for money...food was good before now IMO its EXCELLENT.

Went for 3 nights with friends who hadn't stayed here before got a mid week break which included wine with dinner..thought maybe would be cheap wine but no it was a lovely house white.

The 3 course dinner was.. while not huge portions ...beautifully presented and as good as some 5* restaurants have dined in..service too was fast and friendly. I was so glad because being the one booking it for friends worried it may have not been as good as in the past.

I liked that if nothing on the set menu you could just choose from the a la carte and set menu would be deducted from bill..same with wine if you didn't like the house wine could order and pay extra for a different bottle.

Breakfast has always been good there now its even better with lots of cooked to order food available..I had eggs benedinct one morning then finnan haddock with poached egg the next and finished with bacon and poached eggs...porridge was good too as was the fresh fruit salad...so much better than a buffet but continental also available for those who prefer it.

Our room was fine..nicely decorated with nice finish to it...ours didn't have a sea view I decided not to pay extra this time around as we knew we wouldn't be in room much. That said friends did have a side sea view at no extra charge. Having been before knew we could sit in the conservatory and look at the view from there...lovely to enjoy a nightcap there enjoying the lights and the water.

Easy walk into main town ..it is one of the nicest reasonably priced hotels ever stayed int and my friend has said she wants to go back for another 2 nights with her husband and mine so will for sure be looking to book again maybe for the winter festival.

Highly recommend

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oban
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#8 of 13 in Oban
Muthu Alexandra Hotel

Been to Oban Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!