“Clean, warm and friendly.”
Review of Backpackers Plus

Backpackers Plus
Ranked #2 of 19 Specialty Lodging in Oban
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Clean, warm and friendly.”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Was made to feel welcome and the host was very hospitable. The facilities were very clean; the cleanest I've seen at a hostel. The kitchen is fully equipped and there's even free food. The beds had two pillows and the room temperature was easily adjustable (choice between window, can and radiator.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014

For a private room I only paid £19 a night. Amazing price. Right in the middle of town. The kitchen was great, fully equipt with all cooking facilities and free breakfast! Including my favourite Aussie treat, vegemite!
The owner even popped over to say hi while we were enjoying a drink in the kitchen. Would recomend to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Cheap as chips but comfy and clean. Yes the decor in the house is a little dated but it was super clean, warm, good TV, good connection to BT Openzone wifi, close to town and staff really lovely.
I'm used to a hotel but booked this as I needed a cheap get away and this more than fitted the bill!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I spend a week in this backpackers, for a training course in Oban.

The kitchens are big and open, which was nice. The common areas are colorful, there is a lot of space, and there are comfortable settees. The staff is very friendly too!

The dorms are large, with a lot of space to store your luggage. Not too hot, so I slept very well.

The bathrooms are decent - the showers were too hot however ( I don't enjoy being scolded early in the morning ) - making showering an epic feat! It would have been nice to be able to regulate the heat of the water.

Overall, a nice place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I absolutely loved loved loved my stay here! I wanted something cheap as I was just staying the one night, as this is about as cheap as you can get, but it no way compromised on comfort or anything else!
It was a little confusing when I first arrived as this had previously been part of Oban Backpackers, but since they split it meant that at first they couldn't find my booking, but it was quickly resolved so there was no issue (just bear in mind that they are two different hostels now, opposite each other)
Checking in was quick and simple, and we were issued with a key for the room which was in the floor below reception. The room was lovely, big and spacious with bunk beds, plenty of room to store luggage under the bed too. Only downside here was there was no locker, but I didn't personally find this a problem and I had a mac with me. Everyone was lovely so I wasn't overly anxious about leaving my belongings in the room.
The communal area was amazing! For a hostel it had everything you could want. It's big and spacious and modern, with skylights. There are ample amount of comfy sofas, with blankets and coffee tables, it was easy to make myself at home with a cup of tea! There is also a large/double kitchen area, and plenty of tea and coffee. As I was only staying one night I didn't use the kitchen for anything but making tea and breakfast in the morning, so I can't comment really on this, but from what I saw there is nothing at all to complain about. Breakfast in the morning was cereals and toast, great that it's included in the price. There is also a pool table which of course is a bonus!

Overall I would say you can't go wrong at all booking this hotel! The staff are lovely, the atmosphere is great and the place itself is very cosy and homely. I will definitely return here if I require accommodation in Oban!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed January 10, 2014

we, my fiancee and a friend of mine and me, stayed at backpackers plus in Oban for 3 nights and it was great! the staff was really friendly and courteous.
the rooms are very comfy and clean. they also got a really big kitchen so its no problem to cook at all, even if there are 10 others using it.
the sky room (the reception, the kitchen, some tables and sofas) is really open and colorful!
all together it was a great vacation!

Special thanks to Peter and the staff!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dominic S
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Booked for 2 nights, ended up staying for 4. The rooms were great, the showers were fantastic (very nice water pressure, but just a tad too hot though), and the staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. I'm a very light sleeper and had problems sleeping due to a noisy group sharing my dorm, and was very kindly moved to another dorm. The common room was really nice and bright, located on the top floor of the hostel, and the adjoining open kitchen was great and well-equipped. Overall, a lovely hostel in a lovely town.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo