“Fun for all the family” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary

The Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary
Ranked #6 of 47 things to do in Oban
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us for a great family day out in the stunning surroundings of Loch Creran. Visit the Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary, home to a spectacular aquarium as well as Scotland's leading Seal Hospital. Journey through over 50 marine displays and get up close to majestic sharks, graceful rays and enchanting seahorses. Meet our adorable seals and hear the touching stories behind their rescues or visit our playful otters. Look out for rare red squirrels and other local wildlife as you explore our Nutkins Nature Trail or have an adventure in our Forest Adventure Play Area. Afterwards, take a well-deserved rest in our Shoreline Coffee Shop and soak up the best views of Loch Creran. With fun talks and feeding displays as well as so much to see and do, there's plenty for the whole family to enjoy whatever the weather!
Inverness, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun for all the family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited in July and we all enjoyed this - from my 11 year old son to my 80 year old Dad.The otters were fantastic and we really enjoyed feeding the fish. We got half price leaflets in one of the Oban pubs which made it a bargain!

Visited July 2013
CraigConnor, General Manager at The Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hi Junior. Indeed we are fun for the entire family. We are so happy all age groups managed to enjoy their day out with us! Hopefully we will get to see you back sometime soon in the future ;0)

• Polish first
Glasgow
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went here in May 2013, the weather wasn't the best but we really injoyed our visit. I would recommend to all, the seals are great and the staff train them to different things, they all have their own little characters.

Nice cafe and a great location for a sunny day.

Visited May 2013
Hi Traveller. Thanks for a great review. Indeed they are all characters. If you want to keep in touch with them all, feel free to 'like us' where you will hear all about what they are up to. Hopefully we will get to see you again sometime soon.
Cumbria
“DAY VISIT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

The centre is first class. It uses the natural environment to good effect. The aquarium contains many interesting species and facts. There was wonderful educational interest for children as well as adults. The shop and the adjacent coffee bar were clean and of a good standard. The children loved the adventure park and the nature trail.

Visited July 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I enjoyed seeing the otters and seals being fed. The gi-normous fish tank with big fish that surface to the water. Lots of things to see.

However, if we had paid full price for our tickets I would have thought it over-priced. You can buy tickets online like we did...says online that you can go back for free within 7 days but our ticket was taken off us so watch out for that if you think you would want to back. Also when we parked in Oban the sticky ticket gave money off entry so watch out for that too.

The walk through the woodland was enjoyable but I was disappointed with the bark pathway. I think they should have made it more accessible for wheelchairs ( like the pathway for the woodland walk at Glenfinnan, it was very good )

I admit a great place for the kids, so if you wish to avoid the masses go in schooltime :)

Visited June 2013
Hi Shirley. Thanks for your review. It was great to read. I'm sorry to hear that your ticket was taken off you. If you would like to contact us directly to discuss this I would be only too happy. As with the many reviews on here, a lot of people do take advantage of the 7 day return offer. Hopefully we will get to see you returning Shirley to The Scottish SEA LIFE Sanctuary sometime in the near future.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“I come back every year without fail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

I can't stress how much I love this sea life centre. I love all aquariums and have a sea life membership, but this is by far my favourite. Unlike a lot of sea life centres (I'm not knocking them, as I've said I'm a member and love them all) the Scottish Sanctuary shows the real side of sea life around Britain and how our actions impact on the habitats.

Isla and Lewis the Otters are the biggest characters you could ever find. Lewis always poses for photos and you're so close to them that you're able to really see how they work together and live.

The Seals are all wonderful and give a real mix between those that are fully trained and those that have been rescued. As I've mentioned I go every year when in Oban and it's been lovely seeing the progress of Lora.

There's a lot of interaction with the touch pool and feeding of the sharks, the Seahorse life cycle with the opportunity to see babies and some wierd and wonderful turtles! I learnt quite a bit about fish farming here too with their replication farm. That was something that I've always been interested in due to the debates around our fish sourcing.

Please don't be put off by any reviews on here this really is a wonderful day out and I can spend hours looking around, walking the nature trail and taking photos even the cafe is amazing. Always have a cake because you can't get better - believe me!

I tell everybody about this place and think it's suitable for all ages.

Staff are also lovely and will answer any questions you have and acknowledge your existence and interest (even if you're being a 28 year old child like me!!)

Can't rave enough!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank SammyT1985
Hi Sammy, what an absoloutely lovely review to read. Thank you so much for your kind words and I know the whole team will be really made up to read such a review. Don't forget to 'like us' online to keep updated before your next visit ;0)! We cannot wait to welcome you back and for you to see our new changes.