“Great views and location.”
Review of Columba Hotel

Columba Hotel
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night in February and booked direct with hotel via their website. Git an incredible rate of £35 for double room including breakfast. Our room had a view of thew car park and the sea and Kerrera beyond. The room itself was in good order. The only gripe I would have would be that the bathroom was carpeted! I just couldn't have walked into the bathroom bare foot as who know's who's bodily fluids I may have been walking on! The towels were also very thin - and not very plentiful. Was such a shame as the bathroom was indeed one of the largest I have ever been in. Wasn't up early enough for breakfast - so cannot comment, but the smell of breakfast was brilliant when I came down to check out. Superb value for money if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
manager_columba, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2010

Many thanks for your positive comments about your recent stay at The Columba Hotel Oban. I greatly appreciate you having taken the time to share your thoughts which I have taken the opportunity to relay to my team. We do take customer feedback very seriously and welcome the feedback of both positive and negative points. We are now in the process of upgrading our linen and towels to new stock and will very soon have a much better of towels including luxurious large fluffy bath sheets for our customers to enjoy.

Regretfully, the completion of the few remaining bedrooms and bathrooms scheduled for refurbishment has been slightly delayed, however, we hope to get this back on track soon so that all our bathrooms are of a superior standard. Thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we can welcome you back to the Columba Hotels once again.

Matthew Hamer

Reviewed February 22, 2010

Lovely hotel with wonderful reception staff. As we entered the hotel we was greated by bagpipes playing in the bar area. Our company (expedia) had booked a double instead of a twin, but the staff swiftly and kindly exchanged and corrected the mistake. We travelled at night so the next morning we woke to snow covered mountains and sea which was lovely over breakfast. The breakfast could have been problematic as we are vegetarians and was worried about not being able to eat as the breakfast was a buffet and the guests had shared the tongs dropping meat in the veggie food. The staff very kindly cooked us seperate food and didn't seemed offended or annoyed with having to do so. The bedrooms are nice and comfy, a little warm but we slept well and other guests did not disturb us, the only shame was the lift which did not stop on our floor as it was broken, but not too much of a deal for us as we are quite fit so not too problematic. Lovely stay and Oban is a lovely town with decent shops and beautiful veiws of sea and mountains. Wonderful stay, so would recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jane F
Reviewed February 9, 2010

First time visit to Oban and I have to say the hotel as a whole was fantastic. I had a single room with sea views - the scenery was stunning. Everything was in working order in the room and the wall mounted flat screen TV added a modern touch to this Victorian Hotel. I booked very early and was delighted with the value for money at £29 per night. The breakfast was superb, it is served between 7.30am - 9.30am and there is plenty to choose from. A word of warning though - you will have to be up early to sample any of advertised danish pastries. I arrived for breakfast at 8.30am each day and the basket was always empty. It was a pity that the hotels charm is not matched by the Reception Staff. I could have performed a world famous comedy show in front of their very eyes and they still wouldnt have cracked a smile. One lady in particular gave the impression that everything was just too much of an effort for her. The breakfast staff and room maids were friendly enough and this was appreciated after the experience with Reception. Improvements could be made by fixing the lift so that it operates on the middle floor and TV's should be available with Freeview access at the very least. In summary, the hotel is situated in a fanastic spot, right in the heart of the town centre whilst maintaining the stunning views. I highly reccomend this hotel, despite the less than welcoming Reception staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed in the hotel as part of a group of 10. We all had a great time. I really can’t find a fault with the hotel. The rooms are modern and well decorated. The Staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was as you would expect. This was our second visit. I definitely wouldn’t bother looking for anywhere else to stay when visiting Oban.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2010

from moment we entered the hotel the staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful, somthing other hotels in oban should learn from! - room beautiful and spotless clean - very spacious and comfortable - and food was delicious too

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We have stayed in the columba hotel a few times before and cant fault the hotel.We got a refurbished room which was huge with great views over to mull and morvern.Breakfast was lovely and as we only paid £71 each for B&B over hogmanay and new year we got a great deal.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2009

Arrived for a one night stay with friends. I booked through a third party website, and requested the new rooms with seaview and for them to be together, and we got all. Lovely spacious rooms, on the same floor just a few feet apart.

Modern and clean, and the best shower I have had in a long time, fantastic pressure. Good quality linen and soft furnishings and a flat screen TV along with beautiful views over the harbour and main street.

We were greated warmly by the receptionist Sarah. Who then told us where to go to eat (the lovely Cuan Mor) and booked a table for us and which pub to go to for drinks (the very busy Lorn) we couldnt have asked for more. A star employee !! give that girl a raise.

The breakfast was served in pleasant surroundings and was a standard buffet and perfectly respectable, with a room for two at £65 fo B&B I would not expect more. I have seen other reviews saying the common areas were bad but apart from being a but dated they were fine, I would say the rooms are the priority and you should not be put of by this. The rooms coridoors were pleasant and large on our floor 1.

All in all a great night and I will definately stay again next time I visit Oban

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends