1,180 results
All reviewssea viewnorth pierpublic car parkbreakfast was buffet styleexcellent locationthird floorsitting areaoban distillerycentral locationbit datedlarge roomtop floorlovely viewdining roomisle of mullstayed here for one nightlovely room
Reviewed October 5, 2017

The hotel was well-positioned for the town, but unfortunately building work was going on at the time. We had a good view of the harbour from our second floor room, which was a reasonable size and clean. The whole hotel was looking a little "tired" and in need of some modernisation - particularly the lift, with a pull-gate style door, which was slow and the lift itself would only hold 3 people at most and was difficult to get large suitcases into. Breakfast was good, but not a very large room and at busy times it was difficult to find a table. Food was replenished at regular intervals, as it was a buffet style set up. Rather expensive for the quality.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
darrell w, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us.
Your comments have been passed on and where feasible improvements will be made
Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 3, 2017

Stayed at the Columba for one night at the end of September. Paid £70 for the room via Booking.com, with breakfast included. I had read some very poor reviews on here, so was not expecting much. It is in a great location, right on the harbour, with some beautiful views on one side of the hotel. We were checked in my a friendly receptionist, and were advised to go up the stairs to the first floor. Our room was still being cleaned, and again the cleaning staff were very friendly as the advised they would be as quick as they could.

The room itself was maybe in need of a freshen up, but it was clean enough and would be fine for the one night. The bed wasn't the most comfortable I have slept in, but couldn't really grumble for price paid. Breakfast the next morning was okay, buffet style and all of the food seemed hot. My partner had one of the eggs, and the yolk was hard in the middle, one of the issues with having eggs left sitting like that.

All in all, I found the hotel to be pleasant enough for an overnight stay. All of the staff were we encountered were polite and courteous, and I think its a fine base for an overnight in Oban

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona B

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us.
Your comments have been passed on and where feasible improvements will be made. Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 1, 2017

We stayed for 1 night in the hotel. The room had an excellent view over the harbour and sea outside Oban. The room was small, but clean, and had a nice bathroom. The hotel is situated on the seafront in the middle of Oban, and it was good starting point for walks around the city. The Oban Distillery is just a minute away, and just in front of the hotel, in a non-descript building, is a very good seafood restaurant. The breakfast at the hotel was good, and the breakfast room is charming.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SonjaDT

Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such a good stay
I do hope that you can come and stay again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 30, 2017

My 84 year old mother and I stayed in the Columba for four nights as part of a coach trip (which was excellent), the hotel however, was not!! I asked for another loo roll for our room, two hours later I asked again at the reception to be met by the surly receptionist taking 'selfies'!! It took a further two hours and another visit to reception to get a loo roll. The room looked out on to a building site with bitumen sheets flapping in the wind, very noisy. The duvet cover had two rips in it and the room was tired and scruffy. A previous occupant had obviously spilt coffee or some other liquid down the wall which remained there throughout our stay. The food ..... carrots with every evening meal, which resembled school dinners, and the breakfast (self service from a bain-marie) was always just luke-warm. Oban however was lovely but I will never visit the Columba again, a terrible experience!!

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank coleen l

Thanks for your review

For us it’s very important that our customers feel satisfied with what we provide. We get it right more often than wrong but it is crystal clear that with your visit we have failed to deliver. That is unacceptable to SGE Hotels and you have our apologies for that.

Once again, I would like to offer my sincere apologies and thank you for your feedback

Yours sincerely

Reviewed September 27, 2017 via mobile

booked very late 10pm only had family room left cost £122 for night. Arrived about 11.30 and entered. the night porter was trying to sort us out, but, the owner I think, had something more important to deal with, poor night porter was embarrassed. Owner? just glared at us.

Went up to 3rd floor room in ancient lift with carpet on the walls, yes, really. Got to the room and one double bedroom and another bedroom with twin beds together. was clean, boring and decent enough, bed uncomfy and fan from below somewhere went all night.

Now morning arrives, stunning view from room looking over harbour. Went down for breakfast, husband went in to dining room and I went out to the car for something, when i came back hubby had tea and had helped himself to breakfast. I am still waiting for soneone to ask if I wanted tea!

Breakfast was so disappointing, it was buffet style. Could hardly use the tongs as they were so hot, unfortunately that was the hottest part of the meal - lukewarm at best, pretty cold. I felt the bacon was undercooked. The plates you use aren't properly dried so I got really soggy toast. Maybe that was to replace the missing tea. Fortunately whoever had sat at our table the day before definitely got their tea, I know as the tablecloth was stained.

Needs to improve, won'tbe back to find out though!

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Please accept my sincere apologies for any difficulties that you experienced at the hotel

Thanks