1,286 results
All reviews sea view north pier buffet breakfast public car park third floor oban distillery sitting area limited parking top floor family room large room lovely view ferry terminal isle of mull dining room stayed here for one night harbour
Selected filters
Reviewed July 25, 2016

We stayed at the Columba many years ago and didn't have a particularly good experience but decided to give it another try as we were only going to be there for two nights and it was a convenient stopover before heading further north.

Parking is pretty limited at the Columba, about half a dozen places within a Pay-and-Display carpark but we were lucky to get a parking space. Reception was friendly but the lift leaves a lot to be desired. Whilst the hotel seems to have been refurbished a little the lift is still a nightmare. One of the old type, very small and has a gate and a door that have to be closed after use to enable the lift to operate, unfortunately several guests didn't seem to grasp this which resulted in my having to use the stairs on three ocassions, not easy as I have extremely restricted mobility, (a fact I had advised the hotel of prior to arriving) On our first morning the lift was totally out of action, when I reported this to Reception they seemed quite off-hand and just said that "someone" was trying to fix the problem.

Our room was okay, sea view as requested, nice and clean and the hot water worked after running the tap for quite a while.

Breakfast was the usual - tinned grapefruit and orange slices, cereals, fruit juices - not fresh but the concentrated type. Help-yourself buffet cooked items that were monitored and replenished quite frequently and a toaster to make your own toast.

We used the hotel Bistro one evening, the food was fine and the waiting staff very good and attentive. The problem was the fact that the bistro used to be a pub and the locals are still treating it as such, subsequently there was a very noisy hen party that came into the bistro for drinks and completely ruined our meal.

Overall I don't think I will give the Columba a third chance.

Room tip: Ask for a seaview room, those overlooking the street could be a little noisy.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
darrell w, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2016

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. Your comments have been passed on and where feasible improvements will be made.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 20, 2016

Great location, new remodelled rooms. Window was dirty on outside that impacted on the great view. Family room was a nice size.
4 years ago we stayed in a curret room. It was wonderful highly recommended.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
darrell w, General Manager at Columba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your comments are much appreciated.
re the Windows , they have been done , its just the weather we have been having , the window cleaner as been doing them every 2 weeks

Reviewed July 19, 2016 via mobile

Stayed for one night before sailing to Barra the next day. We travelled by Vespa in the rain so on entering the room I divested my bike-gear to let it dry for the next day's journey. I walked barefoot to the bathroom and on returning to the bedroom I found long hairs stuck to my feet! Both myself and husband have short hair! The red velvet chair in the room was dusty with what looked like flaky skin on it and there was a pubic hair in the shower!
I lifted the comment card to record my findings only to find it had greasy crumbs inside it!
On leaving to go out for dinner I advised the receptionist of the state of the room and granted when we returned it had been cleaned to a better standard.
When I enter a hotel room I do not want to be reminded of previous guests!
I spoke to the manager in the morning who agreed that it was not acceptable and took on board that it may be a training issue for staff.
I have stayed at this hotel previously and it was lovely, standards have slipped in my opinion.
I agree with other reviewers that the smell of smoke is also an issue.
Breakfast was ok however the chain pub at the ferry terminal looked to have a better breakfast!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you once again for your comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 16, 2016

Location is ideal for those catching an early morning ferry. The building is very old, so we were pleasantly surprised by the modern plumbing and comfort of our room with its ocean view. Every member of staff we talked with were unfailing kind and accommodating.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for one night. We had a great stay. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly to us. The rooms are very comfortable and fully kitted out. The only fault I had was with at night. The room was very warm and the window wouldn't open. The staff were great and told us places to visit and other areas to check out. We also had a great view of the bay and town from the room which was a bonus we weren't expecting. We shall return here as much more to see in Oban and surrounding areas we didn't get time to do.

Date of stay: June 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.