All reviews highland heritage coach trip coach parties long journey evening entertainment breakfast and dinner bar prices biscuits oban bay sea view room single room fantastic views scotland slippers promenade iona ferry
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful location for lovely hotel. Friendly service. Cosy wee single room. Added bonus of swimming pool and steam room especially after hiking. Smashing self service breakfast with plenty to choose even for this vegetarian. Thank you I will definitely come again. Thoroughly recommend and great last minute deal.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Muthualexandra, General Manager at Muthu Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Muthu Alexandra Hotel for your stay during your visit to Oban and leaving the great review. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay and appreciated the facilities at the hotel. I have shared your comments with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Oban. Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights. Warmly welcomed at reception, then found our room.; it was a bit small and faced the back parking lot, but everything we needed was there and worked. We had dinner on both evenings in house...food was very good and well presented; service perhaps a bit slowish. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style and there was wide variety. All in all we enjoyed our stay and would return.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked this hotel for my husbands 60th birthday, before arriving I phoned and emailed explaining this was a special birthday and requested a nice room (we had booked an executive double room/sea view) and requested a bottle of champagne to be in room. On arrival we were met by lovely welcoming staff and directed swiftly to our room. The room was nice and big with lovely views over the bay, bathroom nice with both bath and shower, nice clean towels. ( no toilet soap?) we had robes in room and the room had everything needed, yes it’s an old building and floors are uneven but this was to be expected,. No bottle of champagne in room but thought as my husbands birthday was not until next day that this is when it would be put in room. Beds very comfy but the noise from people moving around above us was VERY loud due to the floorboards!! Breakfast was NOT good, lovely friendly staff again but food cold on first morning, I complained second morning as it was even colder, third morning it was like warm, poor selection, not enough serving spoons and same one getting used for beans and tomatoes!! Tables not laid out properly and had to go looking for tea spoons. Restaurant not busy but tables not cleared and set for more people. You have to take your cup from your table to get coffe/tea from urns, no labels to say what urn holds hot water/ coffee, there is soup bowls ( not drip trays to catch drips). 3 selections of cereals which you have to spoon into your bowl using a soup spoon!!! For a large hotel we expected a lot more from breakfast, not an enjoyable experience, wish we had not bothered going b/b and went up high st for a decent breakfast. We are in for dinner one evening and service was good and food very nice. Next day NO bottle of champagne arrived, waited till teatime to question this and got told they had forgotten, if I wanted they could send one up now, by this time we were ready to go out for evening and refused, I was so disgusted and disappointed with this due to my previous communication with hotel. Complained and got a half hearted sorry! This is the first time I have given a bad report on a hotel and first time I have ever said I would not return, maybe being a big company they feel they do not need to keep standards up but I was not the only guest disappointed, the guy at desk when I voiced being disappointed apologised but did not seem interested, for the money I would go elsewhere in the future, it’s been a hard year for us and I was looking forward to making my husbands birthday break special.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank janice a

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Muthu Hotels for your stay during your visit to Oban. Following my investigation into your comments, my team have confirmed that they looked after you upon arrival as you have confirmed in your comment.
As you wanted the champagne to be a surprise and as per yourself the birthday was on the 2nd day. The reception team member did not want to ask about the champagne upon arrival as you wanted it to be a surprise. When they asked you on the second day when you would like to have the Champagne and how you would like to settle the bill for it as it comes at a cost, you told my team that you don’t need it, hence the reason why it was not delivered to you.
I do apologise for any misunderstanding but my team never gave you the indication of a complimentary bottle of champagne.
Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 10, 2019

We have just spent 3 nights in this wonderful Hotel. We got a warm welcome from a lovely young Man in reception, he was helpful & booking in was done very quickly & easily.
Our room was in good condition - with a lovely view over Oban Bay, the beds were comfortable, room was clean & well laid out.... The weather on the day we arrived was heavy rain so we decided to have our dinner in the Hotel, glad we did as the food was wonderful, in fact we ate there all 3 nights we were there, very reasonable priced...... Over all we were delighted with our stay & will be going back

Room tip: Room with a view of the Bay..........................

Reviewed September 3, 2019

The hotel was at the far end of the town but it was only a 10 minute walk into town. The check in staff were very friendly, I booked the excecitive suite when I got to my room the view was stunning but the room was tiny especially the bathroom I was very disappointed with that I have never stayed in such a small executive suite. There was two large bottles of sparkling water and a bowl of fruit on the table which was a nice touch. The room was noisy in the morning as its near the pipes and you can hear them very clearly so if somebody had a shower at 6.30am you were woken. Breakfast was a good selection but not cooked very well sausage skin was tough and the potato scone was hard not good for the foreign visitors to get the true tast of Scotland. Facilities were good,nice pool,the bar had a nice seating area and had a machine for snacks. There was no room service and no phones in the room which was a bit of an inconvenienceif you needed anything when I asked about that the receptionist said none of there hotels have a phone. There night time menu changes every day a choice of a three or a two course. I had the haggis pakora, pork and veg, raspberry cheesecake it was all excellent the pork just melted in your mouth.

Room tip: Choose a room at the front with sea view saw the back rooms the are even smaller
Date of stay: September 2019
Muthualexandra, General Manager at Muthu Alexandra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2019

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Muthu Alexandra Hotel for your stay and leaving the review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments allow us to improve on our service that we provide and make any changes required to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay with us.
I have shared your comments with my team. We look forward to welcome you back with us for your future stay during your visit to Oban.
Kind regards,