“Excellent value and lovely views”

The Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and lovely views”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just returned from a five night break with Highland Heritage although we drove up from Lincolnshire. Very comfortable hotel, room with view over the bay.
Food was very tast and plentiful and drinks extremely good value. Comfortable lounge area and the snooker table was a bonus.
Staff were very helpful and polite.
Extremely well stocked tray of coffees, teas and exceptionally good biscuits in the room.
Only gripe would be lack of shelving in the bathroom and poor quality loo paper.
Enjoyed the entertainment and the one coach tour that we joined.
Were very pleased that those with own transport were served a later breakfast than those leaving by coach on day of departure if it was required.
Amazing value for money.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Just spent 6 days at the Alexandra and could not fault it. The staff were all lovely and very hard working. Bryan [the manager] was very welcoming and the food was lovely. Room very comfortable with a lovely view of the bay. Would have liked a covered smoking area. i would recommend it

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view recommended
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynn S
Guisborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is run by a tour bus company HIGHLAND HERITAGE. They pick up country wide...However, you can also forgo the coach journey and go by car, still taking advantage of the daily tours from the hotel. I cannot comment on the inbound and out bound journeys, but the hotel...What ever you want, however you want it 9.5 times out of ten the reply will be "Aye, nay bother".
We have never had anything but good service from this hotel...and the views, especially at sunset are outstanding.
Every body from the manager (Brian...[sorry to name drop]) right down the line are god people to know.
For those in the know THE HEAD GARDNER (HIMSELF) has got it right...The Memsa'ab and myself will be returning in the new year....Can' get enough
Oh I forgot...there's a pool too

Room Tip: Premium sea view are top notch. But all rooms are very comfortable
4 Thank Christopher J
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

a friend and i spent monday to friday in the alexander apartments from 9th to 13th september and were really dissapointed with the food,breakfast was an egg,rasher of bacon,two skinny sausages and half a tomato,toast which was cold,tiny amount of cereal and if you had cereal it appeared you did not get offered fruit juice as well.the staff were polite but in my opinion overworked,fullfilling multiple jobs in the hotel,we could not ask them anything,i thought they were all on elasic and pinged away as soon as they served us and also clearing up as we were finishing eating,we onlt had one dinner there thankfully,it was so bad i didnt eat it.the apart ment was ok but dint think the duvet cover had been changed between guests and the sheets were awful.worst place i have ever stayed.

Room Tip: stayed in an apartment,coaches in the car park all the time.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank marie w
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was our very first and LAST coach holiday as it just doesn't suit us! Although the hotel staff were excellent, the whole experience was tainted by the compulsory hand disinfecting (which I managed to evade throughout!!) and the "locking in" of us all from 11.45pm till the chef arrived the next morning. I am not sure that this is legal!! At other hotels, which do not offer 24 hour reception service, you can at least get in and out of the property at whatever time you choose! I dread to think what would happen if a fire broke out or one of the elderly guests had a heart attack. There was supposed to be a phone at reception with a special number to dial should there be an emergency but I have no idea of how far away help was - if any at all!! We paid extra for a sea view and the view was exceptional! However, the curtains were years old, faded and dirty looking and I wouldn't touch them. I also think that the duvet covers weren't changed after each guest, I think they were flipped over - top to bottom - for the next guest. Towels were a strange green colour and the bathroom was void of any shelving for toiletries or hooks for clothing. The organised daily trips were a joke! Hours on the coach to visit yet another woollen mill shop. Overall, you get what you pay for and the staff did all they could to look after you! The demeaning hand washing whereby you were met at the door of the hotel by a member of staff either side of the door waiving a bottle of hand gel at you and again on entering the restaurant each morning and evening was a result of the Norovirus outbreak HH suffered (or, rather their guests suffered) last October!!!
If you like school dinners and cheap wine and don't mind being herded around then give it a go!!

Room Tip: Room 46 does not have bathroom shelving or clothes hooks. Ask for a sea view room but perhaps on the...
7 Thank gourmet42
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our expectations were shattered on entering our PREMIER room the view through the window looked out over the kitchen extracting fans and,dustbins in other words awful the bathroom was so tiny that when washing your hands you banged your arm on the door oh and there was just one tiny wardrobe.Always ask for a sea view room.On the plus side the staff were very obliging and pleasant even though they had to work very hard..The meals a little bit basic but okay.The eleven hour journeys no fun at all.!!!

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the back of hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary H
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I did intend to make this my lengthiest review yet but reading past reviews (as I should have done before I went) most if not all of my points have been covered. I will therefore add my support to some of these points by listing positives and negatives as below:-
So I end on a positive note, I will begin with the..............

NEGATIVES

1) The coach trip was dreadful but I should have expected it really. Eleven hours to travel from Grimsby to Oban, via Hull, Beverley and York. Stop offs too frequent and too long.
2) The hotel was run like a five star 'boot camp', absolutely no flexibility in anything, meal times set in stone, if you miss them, you do without. If you are not in by 2345hrs. (which we invariably would have been anyway) you are locked out. We resented being TOLD when we had to be in at night, I passed this stage when I reached 18!
3) The anti-bacterial spray regime is thoroughly weird! All guests are treated like unclean lepers. My wife has very sensitive skin but staff insisted on this regime, squirting it at guests at every opportunity and chastising those seemingly reluctant, even at the risk of acrimony between host and guest. Despite having just washed my hands I was still expected to use the spray - AND BE SEEN TO USE IT- by management and staff. I am fully in support of these sprays being made freely available but to be treated like a child is totally unacceptable.
4) Far too many rules and regulations, our tour guide from Penrith launched into a tirade, from the bacterial sprays ( which must also be used on the coach too ) to what action to take if the the coach 'burst into flames'.
5) I feel HH are 'economic with the truth'. The entire holiday is geared for the elderly and that is not being disrespectful, I am fully aware I will get there myself one day but I am not quite ready for my zimmer frame or walking stick yet. Even down to the music from Penrith to Oban, we were treated to songs such as 'Goodnight Irene'.
6) There is a swimming pool which is seemingly unavailable for guests, which begs the question, who does use it?
7) Evening entertainment generally below average, with one exception, although I cannot personally comment on the comedian on the first night, I am led to believe he was good. See 'positives'.
8) Not enough information about what is going on around you. We had to amuse ourselves and did just that by catch the ferry from Oban to the Isle of Mull and visiting Tobermory - beautiful!

POSITIVES

1) The reason I have scored The Alexandra and HH 'Very Good' is for the very reason that the elderly DO thoroughly enjoy themselves and it was nice to see.
2) I cannot accept criticism of the food, for the numbers involved I thought the food was excellent, always hot and varied. How can you do fresh toast for 150 people, impossible!
3) The staff, from what I saw were all made up of Eastern Europeans. They were amazing, very respectful, even down to the greetings line up at mealtimes. Very friendly and worked like slaves for what I witnessed as very long hours. Always with a smile on their faces, I would hope their remuneration reflects their magnificent efforts, they are a credit to the hotel.
4) The hotel was immaculately clean and fresh.
5) The entertainment on the last night, Angus and Stewart as 'Northstar' were excellent, singing well known Scottish folk songs among others.
6) Our driver from the hotel down to Penrith, known as 'Wee Paul' was a breath of fresh air, what a guy, he brought all ages together and the journey passed in no time. He played us all a CD of his which lasted around 1.5 hours, of a comedian, which suited all tastes and had most of us rocking in the aisles.
7) Overall, you cannot argue that this was not value for money.
8) Prices at the bar were very competitive, good, well kept beer and £9.90 for a bottle of wine, which you CAN purchase before your meal and take into the dining room with you.

In conclusion, would I go again. To this question I would have to answer 'no'. I am now fifty six years of age, I wouldn't even look at HH again until I am at least 70!

Room Tip: Seaviews are worth chasing. Plan your holiday upfront, despite the fact your are using HH transport...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple