“Good but better choices in the area.”
Review of wide mouthed frog

wide mouthed frog
Ranked #59 of 98 Restaurants in Oban
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Postcode PA37 1PX
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We called in one lunchtime on the off chance, the place was empty and we had to check if it was open. The views are excellent, the food was good but a little expensive when compared to the quality provided by other restaurants. Staff accommodating. We enjoyed the place and the food but it is a place we will not be returning to as there is better value elsewhere.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was one of a crew of a yacht visiting the marina.
It was 8.45pm on a Friday & our party had been asked to take our table in a perfectly pleasant way by one of several smartly uniformed staff and to place our food orders as the kitchen closed at 9pm.
The dining room was about half full.
We took our places and a casually dressed man approached and asked for our orders in a somewhat abrupt manner. The menu referred to Specials of the Day, so I asked what they were. I would not have been surprised or upset had I simply been told that they were sold out or were no longer available.
Instead I was told what they were supposed to have been (!), and also told in no uncertain terms that the chef wouldn't be willing to cook them at this stage of the evening! I asked if the man would check with the chef, but he curtly refused to do so. The man's manner was such that I decided to ask to speak to the manager, and went to the entrance to seek help from one of the uniformed serving staff. As I did so, two members of my party came rushing after me and told me that they had been told by the casually dressed man that if I continued, the whole party would be refused service!
One of the staff then directed me to the Manager[ess]. She stated that they had had a very busy day, and had been hard at work since 6am, and that the Chef had not had time to prep the Specials, so they had not been able to offer them to anyone all day - an explanation which I told her that I accepted, although I did say that it would have been simpler if we had simply been told that the specials were either not, or no longer, available,
but that what was not acceptable was the way in which the rest of the party had been threatened with refusal of service. I was not offered any apology for the threat to refuse service, just repetition of how busy they had been, and the information that the casually dressed man was her husband...
At that stage I chose to leave rather than risk refusal of service to my fellow crew members.

4  Thank ThamesValleyGeoff
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to The Widemouthed Frog last year on our own, this time there were five of us. We rang late but the staff still found us a table even though they were very busy as it's next to Dunstaffnage Marina. The meals were good, tasty, and original rather than mediocre pub fare, all well cooked and very tasty. The place is clean and fresh and the staff were really helpful - three or them working flat out on the bar and serving food but nothing was too much trouble. We'll visit again for sure.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a great location overlooking the marina from the balcony, bar and dining room.
Good snack lunches can be had here or a full blown meal at lunch or dinner.
The menuu has a wide choice of standard fair right through to a Ribeye steak. The Avalanche bitter is one of my favourite beers and goes well with the excellent Ribeye which is always served exactly as requested. ( Medium rare ) The Cullen Skink soup also makes a good lunch snack and is tasty anf filling.

1  Thank RL K
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Looks as if the 1980s stood still for this place. Guess some might like that but we were not impressed. The bedside table was not by the bed owing to a short flex for the lamp- sounds trivial but for £90a night you expect the basics sorted out. Decor very basic ie not cosy. The bar/dining area has a good view, which mercifully detracts from the interior; said interior is harsh and bare and looks like ikea on a budget. BUT my god, the chef can cook!!! Go for the food, the man is a genius. Scallops with bacon were sublime and the soup was gorgeous.