“Great Locaton ..”

Cameron Guesthouse
Cameron Guesthouse
Ranked #54 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great location, off road parking also very good. Landlady advised she would not be there on our arrival and key left behind door, this was fine as she advised us the morning of arrival. No breakfast as we knew on booking but 10% off at a local cafe which was lovely. Although on return to our room around 10 am (check out at 10.30am) room doors open our bathroom towels etc had been removed our belongings still in the room, the second room we booked for friends had also had the bed stripped. Surely if before check out time the rooms should not be entered by cleaners !!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ian C
e b, Owner at Cameron Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

In response to the doors having been opened and rooms entered on the day of leaving, this was a genuine mistake by the person helping me, me being the owner, not a cleaner so they could have mentioned this to me if it had been a problem at the time. They were the only ones to yet check out so every thing was totally safe and although the beds had been stripped in one room before I had realised what my friend had done I did not think it was worth re making the beds just for the sake of it. Unfortunately that was my mistake.
Which has never been repeated.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked on 28th June, stating that we were travelling with a guide dog as my partner is partially sighted. On arrival after a long journey at 7pm 11th July, we were refused, as owner stated her NO PETS rule.

I pointed out that he was NOT a pet but a Guide Dog, exempt from these rules, but she was insistent, as she had an allergy.

I told her, it was still illegal to discriminate, but she was having none of it, stating " it's my home". I pointed out again, that the rules still applied as she was operating a business and refusing us a service offered to non disabled people, which is governed by law.

She then suggested the dog cold sleep in the car! The temperatures were in the mid 20's. For us to have left dog in car in those conditions would have been illegal and inhumane.

Only by standing my ground did I manage to get her to find us alternative accomodation.

she had 2 weeks leading up to our visit when she could have explained and given us time to find somewhere else, but chose not to. Our requirements were cleary stated on our booking form, which she had acknowledged by email the same day booking was made.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scottishlassie64
e b, Owner at Cameron Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Please note to anyone reading the above review that I am in no way Discriminative against anyone or anything, this was a case of unfortunate circumstances.
I do however advertise on all sites that I do not accept Dogs or any pets and it is not because I do not like them, the case being in fact having being pregnant and having my baby I am allergic to most animals and due to me feeding my child I can not take any medication to help with this.
I did try to explain this to this lady but it still was not accepted. I look after my house by myself and had no other help.
When the lady had called to say they where going to go to visit a place that would make them a couple of hours after my check in times I explained that I could not stay late in reception as I had to put my baby to bed could she possibly check in before going site seeing. this was fine, as I checked the booking form again I did notice that in the small print a special request saying Guide dog.
At this I managed to find suitable accommodation before this lady had even arrived that was happy to accept dogs.
I honestly though all would have been fine but this was not the case. I did try my best to help this lady unfortunately she did not think so.
Please note if going to booking somewhere that states No Dogs there might be a genuine reason for this and it might be best to contact theses premises directly before booking.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The rooms are fine and decorated well. We never did find the parking lot but there was ample street parking. We were within a 5 minute walk to the high street activities, and 10-15 minutes from the ferry terminal. The wifi signal was fine. It's easy to get locked out of the room, which happened to us. We were quite disappointed by the lack of breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had a bit of a problem getting here as the ferry was 2 hours late (9pm), however the owner reassured us our booking was OK and left the keys for us. The room was great, with one of the best en-suites we have used- spacious shower and loads of hot water. Continental breakfast was pretty comprehensive although a cooked breakfast was available at a nearby cafe if needed. There was a spacious sitting room, car parking at the rear and we had a really restful nights sleep. Very friendly and helpful owner- we recommend it

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

ACCOMMODATION - My husband and I stayed one night in Room 3. It contained 3 twin beds and was roomy enough for 3 persons, clean and comfortable. Tea/coffee supplies were in the room along with biscuits. The bedding was clean as was the bathroom and the beds comfortable.

- We were met on arrival by a young couple who made us most welcome and gave us good information about our location. We ate in Coasters, which was recommended and were happy with our surroundings and the food. There are pubs close by and you can hear patrons leaving, if they are noisy, but it seems all the local establishments had signs up asking their patrons to respect the peace and quiet of the local neighbours, which greatly impressed us.

LOCATION - This guest house is one street up from the water and the downtown area. Excellent location. We had no problems following directions to it and were able to get in and out of town very quickly. It is actually in a row of guest houses.

OVERALL - Accommodation is quite expensive in Scotland and for what we received for our money as well as considering the location, we felt this was good value for the price...approximately $145. Canadian, which could have accommodated three persons. Other rooms are available at different prices. Would stay for an overnight again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We only stayed the one night en route to Mallaig and were very happy with the facilities. Lets face it if you want a big room with loads of cupboard space and a fancy view stay in a hotel, if you want somewhere to shower and sleep stay here, a great location, a great price, very clean and the owners were very friendly. We would stay again...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TuscanTony69
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Cameron Guest House is in a really great location and a short walk to central Oban.

We had a family room with shared bathroom. The latter raised some issues as it is not clear if the bathroom is occupied or not.

The room was comfortable but small.

Don't get trapped and order an overpriced continental breakfast from the guest house ... we walked five minutes and got a far better breakfast at less than half the price.

As for the landlord .... didn't see him / her during two nights stay ... keys were left behind a door and we left money in an envelope. A little strange!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family