“Decent value hotel in the heart of Oban”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Oban
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I paid £78 for a two night stay in a single room over Easter 2014. I found this to be pretty reasonable as the hotel is right in the centre of the town. There are only a few parking spaces at the hotel but plenty of cheap parking in the immediate vicinity. The staff were friendly and helpful on arrival.

The room was on the small side but was clean with a decent sized bathroom. Early starts meant I didn't have breakfast (my fault not the hotel's !) but I did have a bar meal on my first night which was very good indeed. The bar had entertainment on both nights which made for a lively evening.

On the whole I would have no hesitation in staying here again for it is good value and well located.

1  Thank Daz R
There are newer reviews for Royal Hotel

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We decided to go to Oban for a short break and chose to stay at the Royal Hotel and we enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel is a bit tired as far as decor goes-faded Scottish grandeur- but the service and food more than makes up for the decor and I actually liked it -don't change.!! The service as I said was excellent everyone was friendly and helpful and the food was great. There was plenty choice of fresh well cooked food and even the packed lunch was good. Well done

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with some members of my family. The staff from all the different areas of hotel could not have been more helpful.
The breakfast and dinners were very good with ample choice and good service.
I believe you usually get what you pay for and while there were no frills or extras it was value for money.

Room Tip: Probably best getting room at back as noisy with traffic
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 492linda
Steven R, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Hi Linda

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I am please to see that the Staff were helpful during the stay and that enjoyed the food. Our new Head Chef has just started with us 2 weeks ago and I am looking forward to a further improvement in the standard and style of our food.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in future.

Best Regards

Steven Reffin

Reviewed April 26, 2014

- Parking stated it's free but it's limited and you may have to park in a paying parking lot or further away in s supermarket free parking.
- WIFI is limited to a very small area of the hotel in the bar/restaurant.
- Old Construction with no insulation so one can hear tv, walking, bathroom noises etc any time of night.
- Some of the staff were really nice, and some not.
- Location is amazing

Room Tip: Probably rooms on Top floor will not have so much noise coming from upstairs, but can't guarante...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I recently stayed for one night at this Hotel whilst visiting the area and was pleased with my experience. I have read some negative comments about this establishment but what do people expect? Ok not 5 star luxury but not 5 star prices either!! I stayed in room 202 and paid £ 39 for a single room, bed and breakfast with ensuite bathroom- what more can you ask for?

Granted that the Hotel is old but it is centrally positioned in Oban Town Centre, staff are friendly, breakfast ample and I had a good sleep. Will be back next time the opportunity brings me to this part of Scotland.

Dear TripAdvisor

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay, I found it refreshing and honest.

I have passed on your comments to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the near future.

Kind Regards

Steven Reffin

Reviewed April 23, 2014

On arrival the staff (Alan and Peter) we're very pleasant and helpful and continued to be so when I requested a different room.
The first room had a dirty bathroom floor (not properly swept) and sink and there was a mark on the top sheet; both mugs had not been properly washed and there were lipstick marks on the rims. The second room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very good - plentiful and hot, with tea and toast brought quickly and all the staff pleasant, helpful and professional.
I was disappointed that the coffee machine in the bar was being cleaned at 22:00 which would have meant a 15 minute wait for coffee - why not clean it at the end of the night?

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Booked a night in this hotel first impression a bit run down from the outside ( windows needed a good wash,paint work on outside old and flaked of the wood work, hanging baskets full of dead flowers.
Then the Superior Room what a joke, this small room No.502 paper hanging off the wall at window, bed cover stained,wardrobe hanging off wall and 3 screws holding it to wall, missing handles on dresser. Bathroom was so small it was a small shower cubical and a wc at the other end. The celling was covered in stains. Head board was lying to one side. The hole room was run down and needed a face lift.
When I asked if there had been a mistake in my room allocation I was told no THAT I HAD A BAY VIEW.
What a embarrassment for Scotland I would not stay in this hotel if I was homeless and destitute

Room Tip: have no idea the hole place is a dump
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DAVID F

Dear TripAdvisor

Thank you for your review of your recent stay and for your personal email that I have received. As stated in my comprehensive reply, I have separated the fact from opinion in your review.

Our bedrooms are in the early stages of a long process to upgrade and update, this process began last year and is still in its infancy. Our company has, is and planning large continued investment in this area. I have passed on your feedback to my Head Office to emphasise the standard that our custom expects.

In regards to the subjective and narrow view regarding 'Dump', 'Third World' and 'Demolition' I find this disrespectful to the loyal and hard working staff who put in many hours and great quality to their work.

I am sorry that in your opinion the Royal Hotel has not come up to scratch this time, but I am sure that should you return then you will see the true quality and consistency that the Royal Hotel provides.

I do however look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal in the future.