“Lovely place,great service, views and food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manor House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Manor House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Scotland
“Lovely place,great service, views and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 10 May 2013 to celebrate his 50th Birthday. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome, the staff were very professional and friendly without being intrusive. We checked in and were shown where all the public rooms were and then to our bedroom which had a beautiful view out over Oban Bay. The room was a decent size, with very comfortable double bed with two large bedside cabinets at either side and lamps. Large wardrobe with drawers, writing desk, 2 chairs at side of wardrobe and another chair in bay window. The side window looked onto car park and part of garden, beneath this was a table with teas,coffees, hot chocolate, sweets and bottled water. There was also a bowl of fruit with serviette, knife and plate on writing desk . The furniture was lovely, possibly period pieces, but I am not an expert on this so not sure. Bathroom, had bath with shower over the bath, lovely Molton Brown toiletries, towels, hand towels etc. The whole place was spotlessly clean. The public rooms are cosy but very relaxing with tables and comfortable chairs and sofas in lounge, which also has newspapers, magazines,books etc, for guests to read. The menu is brought to you in the bar or lounge and you order your meal from that night's menu and your drinks. Once ordered you are served canapes and then taken to your table when your starter is ready. The meal we had in this hotel was excellent, plentiful and delicious and perfectly cooked. I had pan fried salmon for starters (which was not on menu but because of an allergy to the starter I wanted this was specially made for me), soup, sorbet, venison with chestnuts, honey carrots,creamed cabbage and fondant potatoes,choc brownie with choc fudge topping and vanilla ice-cream. My husband had duck terrine,soup, sorbet, fillet steak and cheese platter. We then had coffee and petit fours in the lounge, which were two lovely chocolates and small scones with jam and clotted cream . Staff were always on hand and friendly. I cannot fault this hotel in any way, service from start to finish was excellent and I have to say a big thanks to Alan at reception who had to open our room up after I accidentally left our key in the room. I can definitely recommend eating here and cannot wait to go back again.

Room Tip: We were in room 5 which is a dual aspect room and main window has beautiful view over Oban Bay. This...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VirginiaHouse, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Ludlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful charming hotel, courteous service, wonderful views; could not fault it. Food was really delicious and plentiful!!! Rooms are cosy and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at this small but delightful hotel. This review could have been more concise were it not for the limits set by trip advisor .

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger G
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ever since I started coming to this hotel for lunches almost 40 years ago now I have never been disappointed. The service and food was good then and it still is one of the most dependable places in Oban to visit. I have never stayed here but the position overlooking Oban Bay is second to none. I can vouch for the friendliness of the staff and their excellent service, the attention to detail and the food which is always very good and well presented.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for one night on a mini tour of Scotland. This lovely, traditional hotel is nicely decorated and the staff are very friendly. We had a delicious 5 course evening meal at a very reasonable set price. We had a good night's sleep in a very comfortable bed with a view of the harbour from the window. Fruit, some sweets and a bottle of water in the room was a nice touch. The toiletries and towels were good quality. We also had a very nice breakfast before leaving. There is one small thing which I have pointed out before in different standards of hotels - one of the first things I look for is a decent mirror (and a magnifying mirror) with good lighting near to a socket where I can plug in the hairdryer and apply my make up. If I was staying more than one night I would find this quite annoying but for one night I can make do. It seems a shame to make a complaint about an otherwise lovely hotel but I can't be the only lady who finds a lack of lighting/mirrors/sockets irritating.

1 Thank Sonic27
PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Based on your suggestion, we have now installed magnifying mirrors in all the bath rooms. The electric code does not allow us to put sockets for hair dryers in the baths but we have mirrors next to sockets in the bedrooms. I hope this meets your needs.

Thank you again for your helpful comment

Regards

Les & Mags Crane
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

There was a lovely sense of nostalgia came over me here; the blazing log fires, tasteful old-fashioned and immaculate décor, comfy sofas, and the personal, courteous service added up to a timeless sense of quality. In the here and now with my husband, we really liked the well-designed room, the quality bathroom and toiletries, the beautiful view over the harbour (we saw the whale that visited Oban at the same time we did) and the delicious meals.
We appreciated the early, pre-ferry breakfast left for us on a tray, and the fruit and chocolates in the room.
I imagine returning in summer sunshine, sitting in the garden, looking out for another whale... but maybe sunshine AND a whale is too much to ask!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the road but it's such a quiet road this was in no way a problem.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HilaryWatchman
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here during Easter Week with my five friends and my husband (all in separate rooms of course) so we had a chance to see four different room styles. Amazing is all I can say. Also soaps, shampoo and handcream were MB products which of course always says a lot about a hotel. Each room was unique, very clean and modern. Also the breakfast was very good as well. The staff very professional and friendly (yes even you Jerry!) Also on our last night we came home late as we were walking into the house we ran into a staff member leaving for the night. He came back in with us to make sure we didn't need anything from the bar (of course we did), even though we told him not to go out of his way (it was late and he was off work by then and on his way home). What a treat. We sat in the lounge with the fire and enjoyed our last night together. It was wonderful. I would recommend the Manor House to anyone -- a real gem in this lovely little town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toulon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sitting on a hill right beside the NLB base and overlooking the ferries of Calmac is one of the nicest, small and most relaxing hotels we have ever stayed at. Special mention to Allan and Angus who are incredibly efficient, friendly and accommodating!

A nautical theme permeates the property - not just because it is in Oban but the Bermuda based Canuck who owns the Manor House is apparently involved in the Americas Cup.

The reception desk is tucked away under the stairs, between the dining room and the lounge, bar areas on the other side. It never ceased to amazed us that both Allan and Angus seemed to have a sixth sense when someone was hovering there - with no CCTV in sight!

The little place is conducive to impromptu conversations amongst the guests who were all exceedingly friendly - with the exception of one couple who thought they were better than the rest, but they were soon ostracised. (Note to self: never buy a blue E-class convertible)!!

Our room, Number 5, up the stairs, benefited from 2 windows, and although the bed was quite small, it was very comfy. Nicely furnished in a traditional way, it was clear the whole hotel was a labour of love. The bathroom was extremely compact (read tiny) but the nice amenities made up for the tight space.

The food is excellent - if you book dinner bed and breakfast, a 5 course extravaganza is included. Breakie is equally good - with the kippers and scrambled egg with a timbale of smoked salmon being my favourites.

Sitting on the sloping front garden, sipping a cool lager, watching the currently resident whale, the CalMac ferries coming and going, a lifeboat call-out and even a helicopter coming into land no more than 50m away, it was both idyllic and surprisingly action packed!

All in all, a great place oceans apart from the down-at-heel bus tour hotels that pack Oban.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 5 with the double windows - great room if you can put up with a smallish bed and cramped bathro...
1 Thank IanCar