“Beautiful location”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Just returned from 2 night stay .The location perfect ,rooms dated but they are in process of updating.The food well presented and good.Dining staff great and plenty of them.Only complaint was unpleasant bar man on Saturday evening who,when I ordered glass of wine which was £5 .60 and had only taken £5 with me,put his full hand on top of glass to prevent me taking it back to table until I returned with 60p..This was very insulting as he knew I was resident but obviously didn't,t trust me.I am female and 69yrs old so wouldn't,t run far??????Also there is a hygiene issue there but I so upset didn't,t make an issue.Perhaps manager could address this issue..Anyway in all the staff all do a great job from reception to housekeeping and good value for money.enjoy ....

Room Tip: Would be nice to have seafront room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lilian07
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Lilian,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed you stay with us despite the incident you experienced at the bar. Please let me assure you that this matter has been addressed with my bar team, as it does not reflect our usual high standards of service.

I do hope to see you again in the near future,

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Just back from Oban Scotland ,booked the Bay Great Western online, £49.00p for a double room and 2 Xbreakfast , super room 306 fantastic view of the bay ... lovelly staff and great breaky ...well dune ... devo book againe ...HEATHER /.BRIAN.....

Room Tip: Room 306 great views and cheeky seagulls ....
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian H
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hi

It was great to see you again, and really pleased you liked the improvments. Hope to see you again soon!!

Darren

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have just returned after a long weekend and can't thank the staff enough.My mother fell ill the first night and we had to call an ambulance,all the employees handled this very well,reception-service staff helped take the children's mind off it and watched them for us to go to the hospital.The receptionist took my sister to the hospital even though she had finished her long shift! I'm glad to say my mum returned that night well and throughout the weekend we were asked by numerous staff how she was.I have been to many shearing but the efficiency and kindness of the staff overwhelmed us.The hotel is very nice and there seems to be re-fits in the bedrooms which are very clean but tired.Food great and a good selection served by great staff.Yes I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view,family room looks onto a roof! Rooms 214 or 114.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank debbie2373
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments. I do hope that your mother is feeling a lot better. Whilst I was not present that weekend, I was informed of the incident on Friday night and I am very pleased and proud of the team on duty that they dealt the situation so well. Although I am not surprised as I am very lucky to have very good staff. I am pleased despite the incident you all still managed to enjoy the rest of the weekend. I sincerely hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went with Shearings for 5 days. Staff were excellent, the food was good and I was happy with my small single room. Shearings do a wonderful job of providing older people with a smashing little holiday at a very good price. No one should be complaining about it because the staff will do everything they can to put it right .If you want luxury go somewhere else and pay for it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for the your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had a 3 night stay commencing on March 21st, travelling with Shearings.
We'd had a similar stay last March, and the difference in the hotel was tremendous, especially in the dining room and our bedroom. The dining room has new purple lights and seating, and trendy wallpaper; the food was better too, a big improvement in quality and quantity, but with one exception - the cheese and biscuits option was absolutely dire, consisting of crackers, celery and grapes (ok) but then a small portion of foil wrapped cream cheese and a little pot of Philadelphia Light!!! No actual cheese at all!!
We did pay a little extra for a superior room (303) and it was worth every penny - it was enormous! We had three big sea view windows on two sides (facing west, so great sunset views),a lovely big bathroom, flat screen telly and a huge fitted wardrobe. Lovely and warm too.
Didn't see the entertainment on Friday night due to a very late arrival caused by a blizzard in Tyndrum but the singer on Saturday night was very good. There was an accordionist on the Sunday night, not my cup of tea at all. If you turn right out of the hotel and walk for a few minutes, there's an amazing pub called Markie Dans, which has live bands on Saturday nights and is open til 1am!!
For what we paid, it was an absolute bargain, and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for a superior room, they're still a bargain.
1  Thank Linz6bil9

Dear Linz6bil9,

What can I say! Thank you for your great review. I am so pleased you returned to us and found the hotel much improved. We have invested so much in the hotel over the last 12 months, not only spent lots of money on refurbishing areas but also as the hotel is now under new management we have spent a lot of time improving standards throughout and I am so pleased that these have been greatly received. Does this mean we will see you again next year? Or maybe sooner? I do hope so.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel 10th - 14th March 2014
All staff polite, friendly and curtious and nothing was a bother to them.especially Betty in the dining room. Rooms spotless. Entertainment good. Excellent.

Room Tip: Sea View worth the upgrade price
2  Thank marie m

Dear Marie,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to Betty, who will loves receiving a special mention. Thank you again and look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

4 day trip with National in March. Given the price paid excellent value. Negative point - Typical Victorian type seaside hotel that is a little bit rough round edges but this is being really picky. This is easily overcome by plus points -: Room (26) at rear of building so no view, but otherwise excellent, clean, spacious, comfortable beds with more than adequate bathroom facilities with powerful over bath shower, plenty of hot water. Heating in room excellent and serviced daily ; restaurant - Service top class, food good with varied choice on menu, served hot and with a smile.
Public rooms good with excellent views over bay and islands, bar prices on high side (as expected) but plenty of pubs nearby; Location- could not be faulted, comfortable walking distance to CalMac ferries. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Given age of building, creaky floor boards. If you want a tremendous view, pay extra for seaview, bu...

Dear AirlieJock,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I do agree that room 26 is a very spacious room, and even more good news is that room has now been refurbished since your stay with us, so it is even nicer now! I do agree with your comments regarding the location and so hope to see you again soon.