“Great Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Upton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Just back from Oban Scotland ,booked the Bay Great Western online, £49.00p for a double room and 2 Xbreakfast , super room 306 fantastic view of the bay ... lovelly staff and great breaky ...well dune ... devo book againe ...HEATHER /.BRIAN.....

Room Tip: Room 306 great views and cheeky seagulls ....
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian H
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Hi

It was great to see you again, and really pleased you liked the improvments. Hope to see you again soon!!

Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have just returned after a long weekend and can't thank the staff enough.My mother fell ill the first night and we had to call an ambulance,all the employees handled this very well,reception-service staff helped take the children's mind off it and watched them for us to go to the hospital.The receptionist took my sister to the hospital even though she had finished her long shift! I'm glad to say my mum returned that night well and throughout the weekend we were asked by numerous staff how she was.I have been to many shearing but the efficiency and kindness of the staff overwhelmed us.The hotel is very nice and there seems to be re-fits in the bedrooms which are very clean but tired.Food great and a good selection served by great staff.Yes I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view,family room looks onto a roof! Rooms 214 or 114.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank debbie2373
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much for posting your kind comments. I do hope that your mother is feeling a lot better. Whilst I was not present that weekend, I was informed of the incident on Friday night and I am very pleased and proud of the team on duty that they dealt the situation so well. Although I am not surprised as I am very lucky to have very good staff. I am pleased despite the incident you all still managed to enjoy the rest of the weekend. I sincerely hope to see you all again soon.

Matlock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went with Shearings for 5 days. Staff were excellent, the food was good and I was happy with my small single room. Shearings do a wonderful job of providing older people with a smashing little holiday at a very good price. No one should be complaining about it because the staff will do everything they can to put it right .If you want luxury go somewhere else and pay for it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for the your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

Had a 3 night stay commencing on March 21st, travelling with Shearings.
We'd had a similar stay last March, and the difference in the hotel was tremendous, especially in the dining room and our bedroom. The dining room has new purple lights and seating, and trendy wallpaper; the food was better too, a big improvement in quality and quantity, but with one exception - the cheese and biscuits option was absolutely dire, consisting of crackers, celery and grapes (ok) but then a small portion of foil wrapped cream cheese and a little pot of Philadelphia Light!!! No actual cheese at all!!
We did pay a little extra for a superior room (303) and it was worth every penny - it was enormous! We had three big sea view windows on two sides (facing west, so great sunset views),a lovely big bathroom, flat screen telly and a huge fitted wardrobe. Lovely and warm too.
Didn't see the entertainment on Friday night due to a very late arrival caused by a blizzard in Tyndrum but the singer on Saturday night was very good. There was an accordionist on the Sunday night, not my cup of tea at all. If you turn right out of the hotel and walk for a few minutes, there's an amazing pub called Markie Dans, which has live bands on Saturday nights and is open til 1am!!
For what we paid, it was an absolute bargain, and we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Well worth paying extra for a superior room, they're still a bargain.
1 Thank Linz6bil9
Dear Linz6bil9,

What can I say! Thank you for your great review. I am so pleased you returned to us and found the hotel much improved. We have invested so much in the hotel over the last 12 months, not only spent lots of money on refurbishing areas but also as the hotel is now under new management we have spent a lot of time improving standards throughout and I am so pleased that these have been greatly received. Does this mean we will see you again next year? Or maybe sooner? I do hope so.

alloa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel 10th - 14th March 2014
All staff polite, friendly and curtious and nothing was a bother to them.especially Betty in the dining room. Rooms spotless. Entertainment good. Excellent.

Room Tip: Sea View worth the upgrade price
2 Thank marie m
Dear Marie,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to Betty, who will loves receiving a special mention. Thank you again and look forward to see you again soon.

North Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

4 day trip with National in March. Given the price paid excellent value. Negative point - Typical Victorian type seaside hotel that is a little bit rough round edges but this is being really picky. This is easily overcome by plus points -: Room (26) at rear of building so no view, but otherwise excellent, clean, spacious, comfortable beds with more than adequate bathroom facilities with powerful over bath shower, plenty of hot water. Heating in room excellent and serviced daily ; restaurant - Service top class, food good with varied choice on menu, served hot and with a smile.
Public rooms good with excellent views over bay and islands, bar prices on high side (as expected) but plenty of pubs nearby; Location- could not be faulted, comfortable walking distance to CalMac ferries. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Given age of building, creaky floor boards. If you want a tremendous view, pay extra for seaview, bu...
Dear AirlieJock,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I do agree that room 26 is a very spacious room, and even more good news is that room has now been refurbished since your stay with us, so it is even nicer now! I do agree with your comments regarding the location and so hope to see you again soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed in this hotel with Caledonian Travel coach tour for long weekend. Tired around the edges, sure, but clean and very comfortable and warm. We had sea view (single rooms, one was upgraded to sea view on arrival at no extra charge).

Very well run hotel and staff (especially waiting staff in restaurant) were amazingly efficient and helpful. Evening meals were, on the whole, tasty and good choice. Breakfasts were more than adequate, limitless cereals, porridge, fresh fruit, toast/preserves and then very good choice of hot meals eg., full English, vegetarian full English, kippers etc.

Hotel is situated a couple of minutes stroll from the shops/restaurants/bars, so no need for taxi's or buses.

For the money we paid, we couldn't fault this hotel on value and service. Two negatives I would comment on however are a) the hotel lift ....... smallest I've been in, supposed to fit four people, struggles to hold two plus bags! and b) the lounge where entertainment is held is very small and fills up quickly, so we didn't get to see any of the acts on our visit. That apart, we would recommend this hotel and Oban is a lovely place to visit. Special thanks to Maria and the lassies and lads in the restaurant ...... outstanding service :-)

Room Tip: worth paying extra for sea view ........ views are amazing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pauline A
Dear alongcamepolly074,

Thank you for your very complimentary review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found it ‘Great Value’. I have passed on your comments to the Karina and her team in the restaurant who do love to receive such good comments, as do I. I do understand your comments regarding our lift, however due to the age of the building we are unable to move the lift or make it bigger due to the layout of the stairs surrounding it. I do hope you are planning to visit us again soon in the near future.