“GREAT VALUE”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“GREAT VALUE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed in this hotel with Caledonian Travel coach tour for long weekend. Tired around the edges, sure, but clean and very comfortable and warm. We had sea view (single rooms, one was upgraded to sea view on arrival at no extra charge).

Very well run hotel and staff (especially waiting staff in restaurant) were amazingly efficient and helpful. Evening meals were, on the whole, tasty and good choice. Breakfasts were more than adequate, limitless cereals, porridge, fresh fruit, toast/preserves and then very good choice of hot meals eg., full English, vegetarian full English, kippers etc.

Hotel is situated a couple of minutes stroll from the shops/restaurants/bars, so no need for taxi's or buses.

For the money we paid, we couldn't fault this hotel on value and service. Two negatives I would comment on however are a) the hotel lift ....... smallest I've been in, supposed to fit four people, struggles to hold two plus bags! and b) the lounge where entertainment is held is very small and fills up quickly, so we didn't get to see any of the acts on our visit. That apart, we would recommend this hotel and Oban is a lovely place to visit. Special thanks to Maria and the lassies and lads in the restaurant ...... outstanding service :-)

Room Tip: worth paying extra for sea view ........ views are amazing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pauline A
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear alongcamepolly074,

Thank you for your very complimentary review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found it ‘Great Value’. I have passed on your comments to the Karina and her team in the restaurant who do love to receive such good comments, as do I. I do understand your comments regarding our lift, however due to the age of the building we are unable to move the lift or make it bigger due to the layout of the stairs surrounding it. I do hope you are planning to visit us again soon in the near future.

Darren Moyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We had visitors from down south and decided to head to Oban for weekend and chose this hotel. Our rooms were disappointing I think they were 17 and 18 just up the first flight of stairs and into right. The light in corridor was not working and was reported but still not working when we left. The rooms were dull and depressing. I don't think they had been used for a while cos they had sprayed this awful fresh air stuff which was truly disgusting. Entertainment on Friday was awful. He was on in Tarbet last August when we were there and we could not believe our bad luck again. Saturdays entertainment was very enjoyable. The food was lovely as were the staff. Ladies if you like cocktails don't buy one here. We bought 2 cosmopolitans and they were undrinkable. Seemingly its a mix from a bag and they add a vodka. Everyone knows except the bar staff here that a cosmopolitan should contain cointreau Did not drink them and at £5 a go this was unacceptable. The hotel is in a lovely situation overlooking Oban Bay but needs a lot of modernising. this seems to have been done is some parts. Also we were in the entertainments lounge on the Saturday afternoon having a quiet drink and reading. We were the only 4 there when the barman brought two men in and put the winter Olympics on the tv at a very high volume and our lovely peaceful afternoon was spoiled. We left and complained and asked why they could not watch in public bar and his answer was they wanted to watch big screen. We were not going to challenge these men cos they were covered in tattoos, earrings etc and were loud and yobbish and non resident!!

Room Tip: Don't know butt avoid 17 and 18
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank LFrankie
Dear LFrankie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry that you did not your break with us. I have noted the points you have raised and have already spoke with my management team regarding these who are taking action within their departments. I am pleased you enjoyed the entertainment on the Saturday night and enjoyed the food.

north of england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

spent 4 days on a Shearings break. Great location, very helpful, friendly staff and the food was good and nicely presented. Bathroom in need of up grading but No complaints, value for money.
would recommend

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bulavinaka_8
Dear bulavinaka_8,

Thank you for your kind review! I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ulverston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is the third time that my wife and I have stayed at this hotel, the last time being over a year ago. This time we visited on the 24th February 2014 for 5 days. We were welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff. We had been told that there were no standard rooms available, so we paid the extra for a twin room with a sea view. The room was very spacious, and it did have a lovely sea view through a large window. The television set was an old fashioned box type with a free view box attached to it, but we could only receive one channel (BBC1). The electric towel rail heater did not work at all, as there was no power to it. The whole room and bathroom was in need of an upgrade. I complained to the lady on reception, who said she would put it all in the maintenance book for attention the next day. While we were out the next day, the television set had been replaced with a nice flat screen one. However despite reporting the faulty towel rail every morning and every evening of our stay, it was still faulty when we left. Both the room and the public areas were kept very clean throughout our stay. The dining area had been upgraded to a nice standard and the public areas were furnished to a reasonable standard. The bar was well stocked with a good selection of malt whiskies. The breakfasts were excellent, but the evening meals were an acquired taste. For the price paid, the meals represented good value for money. The town centre is only a ten minute walk away from the hotel with a good selection of shops. There are also a good selection of pubs and places to eat out. Since my last visit Oban has now got a Wetherspoons, which is situated close to the ferry terminal, where you can sit and watch the ferries coming and going. I will be visiting this hotel again, and maybe the upgrades will have reach all the rooms.

1 Thank tony5998
Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed you stay with us. We are currently refurbishing rooms and at present we have the next phase of rooms about to be completed. I do agree that the hotel is very centrally positioned to the town, and is great for exploring the surrounding area. I look forward to meeting you when you return to us again.

Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Went on National Holidays Gala Weekender to be honest was no different from the all inclusive which has drinks free vouchers every night, Not sure what the Four Course Menu was as it was the same as any other night, Starter, Main, Desert, Tea or Coffee.

Atmosphere a little flat compared to the other Bay Hotels i have been to in-Scotland. But it was the best decorated. Richard the young waiter was a Gem polite and Curtious, Stewart the bar man was a good Laugh and Friendly, Cannot say anything about the rest of the staff as they didntsapeak. Entertainment was good especially the second night.

Hotel Very clean would of liked it to have a bit more of an atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Kez,

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel. Whist I am pleased that your review was mainly positive; I do take onboard your comments regarding the atmosphere and will review this with my management team. The Gala meal does include an intermediate course, served after your starter and I will look into why it appears that you did not receive this. I will of course pass on your kind comments to Richard and Stewart; I know they both love to see their names mentioned on here.

So in closing, Thank you again for your comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Hebburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just returned from Oban following a four day break with Shearing's and staying at the Bay Great Western.
Although the weather was a bit 'Iffy' we enjoyed a good break, the hotel is right on the front overlooking the bay, I asked for and was given a ground floor room due to my wife's walking difficulties and was allocated a room within yards of the reception, dining room and bar, the room was clean and reasonably well furnished.
The meals were very good and all members of the staff helpful and friendly, we enjoyed male singers on the Friday and Saturday evenings with the Friday singer being excellent, the Saturday singer had a good voice but had a poor choice of songs, on Sunday there was a Lady accordionist, very disappointing, the accordion appeared to be out of tune and we and a few others left.
One disappointment was on Sunday afternoon, the bar has a Conservatory area which looks over the harbour and people like to sit, read, watch the harbour activity in peace and quiet, however that was spoilt by the extremely ignorant driver of the National Coach who brought a small portable TV into the area and decided to watch the Newcastle United Football match at full volume with no consideration for other people.
No one from the hotel told him to leave or use ear phones and as such quite a number of elderly people like ourselves decided to go to our rooms for some peace. I would suggest that the Hotel Management should take this complaint up with National to prevent any future problems of this nature.

Room Tip: We were in room 22 which is ideal for anyone with walking difficulties, for views of the harbour roo...
1 Thank Malcolm H
Dear Malcolm,
Thank you for comments, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your break with us. I am also pleased we met your all you’re requested room requirements. I will certainly pass on your kind comments regarding the staff and entertainers. I am sorry to read your comments regarding the events that happened on the Sunday Afternoon, and I will certainly be investigating this with the management team on duty at that time to prevent this from happening in the future.
I certainly hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Hand walking distance to walk into Oban town centre. Bar/lounge/restaurant/public areas clean. Helpful and friendly staff, food basic but tasty enough. Rooms basic but adiquate - only downside my bedroom carpet was washed midstay so I had to keep my shoes on in room to stop my feet getting wet which was a bit àwakward when getting dressed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your break with us. I am sorry that the carpet was cleaned in your room during your stay with us. This does not usually happen when a room is occupied, and will investigate with my housekeeping team why this was done on this occasion.
Once again thank you for your comments and hope to see you again in the future.