“not what we expected”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed February 15, 2013

first off our coach driver gary@his girlfriend paula, where both fantastic, the trip down to oban was very good. we arrived at the hotel, to find a large amount of steps to climb to get into the hotel.
alright for the fit and able, but many at the hotel where in there 60,70,and even 80, not a porter in sight!!!!! but again gary the driver did a fantastic job at hand.
we got to our rooms, both me and my daughter-in-law, she had room 18, and i had room 19, as requested rooms side by side and over looking the bay.
the rooms where very small, but clean, and smelled fresh, the first thing to hit me was the windows, which are victorian sash windows, somebody had filled the full window with tissue paper!!!!!!, the wind was howling through them later on that night, god it was bitter, i put the wall mounted electric radiator, on full blast, well if you can call it that.
my daughter-in-laws, radiator, was very poor.
we got ready to go for dinner, you have to wait till you are allocated a table which you keep for your full stay.
the first course, was tomato soup, which was the most unpleasant, concoction, ive ever tasted, it was very watery, with dried tomatoes, floating in it, it was more water, than soup, so we left it and ate the fresh bread buns.
the second course, was pork loin!!!!!, it was worse than the soup, the so called veg, was dry, the potatoes, where boiled dry and lumpy in the middle.
i ordered the ice cream for desert, which was very nice, as was the crispy wafer.
we left and went to see the show, with our four free drinks vouchers, the lager, was fresh and clear, but at times the waiters, and waitress, floated off, and you had to wait to be served.
the show was very good, but the seating is very limited, so be early or loose out on the shows, people again where putting books, drinks, ect on tables, to reserve them!!!!
we returned, to our rooms, mine was just warm, my daughter-in-laws, was very cold, so extra blankets which are in the wardrobes, was a must.
the showers in the single rooms are very,very,cramped, and take some getting used to so beware!!!! you do not get burned.
im a very restless sleeper, and as i turned, over in my sleep, i hit my elbow on the side table, and cut it, just a small nick, but when i awoke, the next morning, there was six drops of blood on my top white cotton sheet, after my shower, i went straight to reception and told the lady, at which she told me sorry, as it was my fault, i told no sorry to be expected.
i asked her to tell the cleaner to change the sheet, ooooohhh the cleaner changed the sheet ok!!!!! she turned it upside down, and put the blood stains, on the bottom of the bed.
again i trotted off to reception, to be told it would be put right, its to my knowledge, still been putting right!!!, now how many times, do you have to go to reception, and with me being a trip advisor expert!!!!! if they can not put anything right, for me!!!!! what chance does joe public got.
down for breakfast to our allocated table, the cereal, was nice, and the milk, cold, after this we got a full english, a bit on the small, side, but it was cooked well, the waitress, was very nice and did a very good job.
later on we went to fort william, our driver gary again did a fantastic job, we came back to the hotel, again the sheets not changed, for gods sake how many times, do you complain!!!! so i gave up, it was my blood anyway, if it had been somebody elses, the sheets would be in reception.
agin we floated off for dinner, my daughter-in-law got the soup as did i, it was supposed to be chunky, vegetable soup,,, id call the veg police, as somebody stole it, it was dismal, but the bread buns where fresh, for main course, my daughter-in-law got the chicken curry+ rice+ vegetables, the curry was none existing it was very, very bland.
i got the chicken, which was nice, but the vegetables, where boiled to death. my daughter-in-law got the bread and butter pudding, it was disgusting, even the man and women, at the next table could not eat it, they left and went for fish and chips in town.
the show at night was very good we had a very good piper, angus mc,hall, and two very nice, gentlemen very good night they gave us.
i will not go into very much detail about the food, over the next nights, but it was dismal,
on the last night, the comedian, who ive seen before had them in stitches, he was fantastic.
this hotel as ive been told is in for major development, this year, i hope it gets it!!!! because it needs it, oban is a fantastic place to visit, and this hotel is placed, right on its shores, the views are to die for.
one last note,, there is a barman i forgot his name, he needs to be retrained, he never smiles, or has a nice personality,
will i return to this hotel,!!!!!!! only if its refurbished, and many, many points, made by the guests, on trip advisor, are taken onboard kindest regards

Room Tip: wait till the hotel is refurbished
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank waggerlad59

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Staff excellent, friedly and obliging
Food very Good
Hotel requires more than a little TLC and completely re-decorating. Insufficient seating capacity in the lounges.
Public rooms were very drafty and cold although the bedrooms were quite warm. The heating for the bathroom when you finally work out how to use it was totally inadequate.
Dinning rooms chairs were heavily stained and gave the impression of being dirty.
Overall a very dismal hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Ivan J
DarrenMoyle, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Ivan J,

I am pleased to see that you found the staff excellent and will most certainly pass on your comments to them. I am sorry to read the other comments you have made. Your feedback has certainly been taken on board and am pleased to say that the points raised will be rectified very soon when our refurbishment works takes place. We are very excited about this major investment being made into the hotel this year as it will enhance the excellent work the team does to provide a great holiday experience.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nites.Very disappointed with everything from the start.We were charged ten pounds parking put in a room in the basement with an electric wallheater mo shower in bathroom you had to use plastic jug of you needed your hair washed think I wad a kid last time I did that.Most disappointed in food also,not enough.Doubt if I would return.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank beez60

Dear beez60,

It is always disapointing to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us. We have been charging for car parking for nearly a year now and only appologise if this was not communicated to you prior to arrival. As with many hotels, not all our rooms have showers. We always try our best to allocate rooms with showers when requested. If you found that the meal sizes were not adequate for you, we would of rectified this if requested. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on here.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Quite the most appalling place a lovely town like Oban could accomodate.
Like the review from Leicester very recently, my review is simple. Rubbish in every department!
The manager is incredibly rude and uncaring. He needs re-training asap.
The rooms are pokey and dirty.
The building is tatty.
The food is cheap and nasty.
Friendly staff? Well maybe, but nothing special, i have seen much better this year already and it's only February.
Just DO NOT BOTHER.
We saw elderly coach holiday people treated like dirt and sadly many just went away upset as they felt intimidated. But we are not easily put off and the management know exactly what we thought of the place.
I have reported it to the authorities for health and safety issues also, as it is so dirty and tatty and the lift is so old and cranky.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Liveonelife
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night weekend break on bed+ breakfast basis.Booked through "late rooms "I think it is great value for money, we only paid £87 for 2 people and the room was lovely, spacious,warm and cleaned daily to a very good standard.The breakfasts were excellent and served timeously without any need to rush off as soon as finished.Entertainment good on 2 out of 3 nights but lager a wee bit overpriced at £3.40 a pint,better value at pubs either side of hotel,"MARKY DAN'S"£2.75+"COASTERS"£3.10. We will definately return,probably in warmer times,to this well run and friendly hotel,where ALL staff deserve a big pat on the back for their genuine,friendly welcome.GTC

Room Tip: room 115 is lovely but i would not pay extra for " a sea view".
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gtc2010

Dear gtc2010,

Well, what else can I say other than thank you for your excellent review of our hotel. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I will most certainly pass on your kind comments to the hotel staff and give them a 'pat on the back'. We look forward to seeing you again, but when you return please make sure you bring that 'warmer weather' with you!! Thank again

Reviewed February 2, 2013

average holidays with shearings. room was ok apart from alarm clock not working which was not really a problem as i had my moblie phone with me. room clean. meals were of average standing.the thing i like about this hotel the entainment was in another romm away from the bar.4 free drinks every day so i had 4 pints of carling every night.a bargain with coach travel from my home town for 4 nights at £149

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank forestwood

Dear forestwood,

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the drinks vouchers and that you appreated the great value for money they represent! Although I am sorry to hear that you felt your holiday experience with us was just average. Recently we have changed many things with the aim to exceed guests expectations and have a great holiday holiday with us. We hope that you return to us again in the near future.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Hotel in beautiful position overlooking the bay. It is in need of a refurbishment as the rooms were a little shabby. The meals were very nice especially the Saturday night Gala Dinner. Sunday night entertainment was good. Staff very helpful. Weather typical for time of year snow which delayed our arrival heavy rain on return journey but good value for the price. Have stayed here on a previous occasion (and most Shearings hotels over the last 12 years ) Would stay here again. Believe a refurbishment is imminent so it would be interesting to see the result.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are available for a small supplement. Living next to the sea at home it didn't...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kenhat,

It is great to see that you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the team, who always appreciate kind comments as it reflects their hard work. You are correct that refurbishment is imminent, and should be starting very soon. Our designers are currently finalising plans and the sneek preview I have seen should certainly impress you when you visit us again. Until then, I thank you for taking your time to post your kind review on here.