“Awful, absolutely awful”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I wish I had checked here before going. Room was terrible, smelled of damp and actually looked quite dirty. Food, where do I start? Frozen, cheap rubbish and even that wasn't cooked very well. Mr Sean Hughes, general manager. I notice you reply to nearly every post well, why don't you spend less time defending your shabby hotel and get things done. You have been posting the same old excuses for many months. I'm sorry, but the supposedly friendliness of your stafff does not make up for the total shambles that is an excuse for a hotel. Shut the place down and get the repairs done instead of taking people's hard earned money. I'm quite suprised health and safety hasn't done it for you already? If you think this review is harsh? think how paying customers feel.

Room Tip: The only tip I woud advise is avoid like the plague
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank Joe R
DarrenMoyle, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Joe R
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on here. We always appreciate feedback, good or bad, however I do feel your review is a little harsh. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your break with us; I only wish that you highlighted your disappointment during your stay as this would have enabled us to make your stay more comfortable. Due to the limited information on here, I am unable to follow up on some of your comments as I cannot identify when you stayed with us, however I have discussed your review with the management team who have taken on board your feedback. As with all our hotels we have a rolling programme of investment in place and monies are allocated on an annual basis. Last year we spent over £100,000 on the external areas and this year we are planning on refurbishing our public areas. We have also been awarded the Argyll & Bute Eat Safe Award for excellent food safety and hygiene standards.

There are newer reviews for Bay Great Western Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel is on the sea front overlooking the bay, and if you have a room with a sea view as we did you can see over to Mull. We booked the hotel as a turkey and tinsel break with Shearings. The room we had was big with really high ceilings; it was like living in Lilliput, we felt so small next to the door. The room was lovely and warm and spotlessly clean, and the food in the hotel was excellent, great menus prepared to a really high standard. The waiting on staff were really friendly and efficient, as were the reception staff, and we were very sorry to leave the hotel. If you want somewhere that's clean, warm, and with really reasonable prices, I can recommend this hotel. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Topdog57
DarrenMoyle, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Topdog57,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and great review. I must agree with you that upgrading to a sea view is so worthwhile as the views are fantastic from the front of the hotel.
Once again thank you for your review, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Just returned from a Tinsel & Turkey weekend and overall we enjoyed it. The hotel and the staff were absolutely fine BUT we feel to be asked to pay £5 each day of one's stay to park is nothing short of a rip off. The headline prices of these short weekend self drive breaks are competitive but adding on this extra means we are much more likely to "shop around" for alternatives to Shearing's in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John T
DarrenMoyle, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear John T,

Thank you for the review you have posted regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased from reading it that you were pleased with the staff and hotel. It is unfortunate that you felt disgruntled by paying the car parking charge which has been in place at the hotel for the majority of this year. This was introduced as a way for guests to secure a guaranteed parking place directly at the hotel as we only have limited parking.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post you comments

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Spent the weekend of16/17 November on Dinner B&B basis here. This was booked through Shearings and the cost was £69.00 per head for the 2 nights. Hotel may be a little dated but value for money, you could not beat it. Rooms were clean and plenty of hot water. There was a good choice on the dinner menu, prepared to a high standard and the breakfasts were excellent. All staff were very friendly and helpfull particularly the waiting staff. Bearing in mind the cost, excellent value.
RJB Dunfermline

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a superb view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RJBDunfermline

Hi RJB Dunfermline,

Thank you for your excellent review on here. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to staff. We hope to you again in the future!
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from staying in the hotel . What a lovley break and realy enjoyed our stay . The hotel was lovley and a enjoyed looking at all the original features that are there like the high celings and the arcatrave that has been kept and not covered over . The stair case with its original banister and iron panells and the rovolving door at the entrance. We had a lovley suprise when we had been given a sea view as we didnt book 1 but it was amazing with stunning views over the harbour . The room was kleen n warm and had a bath and a shower with plently hot water . It was service x daily with tea and coffee supplied . We had lovley breakfasts and the dinning room staff were freindly and we had plenty choice and the servis was so quick we never had to wait for our food . The evening meals were also very good and had lots of choice . As we were on a turkey n tinsel weekend we also got complimentary wine with our meal . We realy enjoyed our stay even tho we are quite a bit younger that most of the other residants we never felt out of place infact we met some realy freindly people over the weekend . We will defenitly come again as we enjoyed every minute o f our stay . Well done to all the staff who made this a womderfull weekend for us

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Scurvydogg
DarrenMoyle, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank You for such a great review.

I am so pleased that you clearly enjoyed your stay with us. It is particularly pleasing to see how much you have appreciated the architecture of the hotel. I do hope that you managed to see some of the pictures we have on display showing the hotel in the 1940's and 1950's.

The Turkey and Tinsel breaks are great and hope to see you again soon, maybe on one of our other themed breaks we have throughout the year. Once again thank you for your Review!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited this hotel 26th October - 29th October. Should have gone the weekend before but read in the paper about the Norovirus so changed to the following week. Having stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions this visit was a big disappointment. The public areas were very cold and on the Saturday night we were sitting in the lounge next to the window and we had to move as the rain was coming in. I understand that this is a very old hotel but it really is getting very shabby and is needing some money spending on it. The dining room was always very cold and the service was very poor. The food was certainly not as good as previous visits. The only saving grace for this hotel is the staff and I must say they were all great. Some of the staff who have been here for a long time remembered us from our previous visits which was very nice. However this on its own would not make us return to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jeniffer011
Darren M, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hi jeniffer011, it was great to see you again at the Great Western and I am pleased that the staff excelled themselves as usual. It is concerning to read that the other elements of your holiday was not enjoyable, however I am please to tell you that we are aware of some of these and are currently planning a refurbishment to our public areas including the restaurant. This is due to happen early next year which we hope will also alleviate the temperature problems in the lounge area. I have passed on your comments to the chef who will review them with his team. I sincerely hope that despite your experience this time, you will return to The Great Western when the works are complete.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Holiday Oct 22nd 2012. Read reviews before I travelled !!!!! in a state of panic!!!!! very nearly cancelled !!!!! so glad I didn't ******* OK so the hotel was a little jaded in parts buy hey if you want 5 * then pay for it. We had a wonderful time in room 103. Large airy spotlessly clean and well maintained everyday.We were met with courteous staff who were smart in appearance at all times and were so willing to get you exactly what you wanted.The meals were fine and there was plenty to choose from.
All in all I take my hat off to them all as they are doing a fine job. I would certainly go again as the hotel is in such a good position and ideal for those wishing to visit this beautiful part of the country

Room Tip: Room 103 was a twin bedded room and was very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary R
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

I am so happy to see such a nice review. We take all the comments onboard and we try to do our best to avoid them in the future. Our staff really are great, they try so hard to please everyone and when you receive comments like yours , you know that it was worth it.
I am glad to know that you will come back again to our hotel and we will be waiting for you.
Maybe this time you even try one of the sea view rooms, to sample the great views we have from the hotel.
Looking forward seeing you again soon.
Sean