“Very disappointed!!”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Visited this hotel 26th October - 29th October. Should have gone the weekend before but read in the paper about the Norovirus so changed to the following week. Having stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions this visit was a big disappointment. The public areas were very cold and on the Saturday night we were sitting in the lounge next to the window and we had to move as the rain was coming in. I understand that this is a very old hotel but it really is getting very shabby and is needing some money spending on it. The dining room was always very cold and the service was very poor. The food was certainly not as good as previous visits. The only saving grace for this hotel is the staff and I must say they were all great. Some of the staff who have been here for a long time remembered us from our previous visits which was very nice. However this on its own would not make us return to this hotel in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jeniffer011
Darren M, Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hi jeniffer011, it was great to see you again at the Great Western and I am pleased that the staff excelled themselves as usual. It is concerning to read that the other elements of your holiday was not enjoyable, however I am please to tell you that we are aware of some of these and are currently planning a refurbishment to our public areas including the restaurant. This is due to happen early next year which we hope will also alleviate the temperature problems in the lounge area. I have passed on your comments to the chef who will review them with his team. I sincerely hope that despite your experience this time, you will return to The Great Western when the works are complete.

Darren Moyle

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Holiday Oct 22nd 2012. Read reviews before I travelled !!!!! in a state of panic!!!!! very nearly cancelled !!!!! so glad I didn't ******* OK so the hotel was a little jaded in parts buy hey if you want 5 * then pay for it. We had a wonderful time in room 103. Large airy spotlessly clean and well maintained everyday.We were met with courteous staff who were smart in appearance at all times and were so willing to get you exactly what you wanted.The meals were fine and there was plenty to choose from.
All in all I take my hat off to them all as they are doing a fine job. I would certainly go again as the hotel is in such a good position and ideal for those wishing to visit this beautiful part of the country

Room Tip: Room 103 was a twin bedded room and was very quiet
1  Thank Mary R
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

I am so happy to see such a nice review. We take all the comments onboard and we try to do our best to avoid them in the future. Our staff really are great, they try so hard to please everyone and when you receive comments like yours , you know that it was worth it.
I am glad to know that you will come back again to our hotel and we will be waiting for you.
Maybe this time you even try one of the sea view rooms, to sample the great views we have from the hotel.
Looking forward seeing you again soon.
Sean

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed at the Great Western with two friends the weekend of the 12th October 2012, departing on Monday 15th October 2012. There was norovirus in the hotel and we were informed of it. Being a nurse I was not unduly concerned and was convinced by the management staff that all was being done to minimise its spread. The location is excellent and the staff very friendly. The food was of good quality but the portions could have been bigger. All in all a friendly hotel centrally located with amazing places to see by car. There are some nice pubs in the vicinity too - Coasters and The Tartan Bar were my favourites.

Room Tip: My room - 314 was fine
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Johnmhouston

Thank you very much for all the nice comments. The situation in a hotel during the outbreak of the winter bug was controlled successfully by my management team with the advice from local authorities and company procedures. It is pleasing to see as a nurse and someone who is knowledgeable in this field, that you could see all that was being done to control the situation and further spead, so much so it did not put you off staying with us. It’s also great to see you explored the local sights as there are great places nearby. I hope to see you again soon!
Sean

Reviewed October 21, 2012

just returned from a 5 day trip to oban staying at the great western hotel.we paid extra for sea view and was well worth the money, fantastic views, and a large comfortable room.however the portions quality and presentation of the food was poor to say the least,definitely the worst of other shearings hotels we have stayed in.to make things worse we both had sickness problems on the way home,and after reading some previous reviews can possibly see why.

Room Tip: pay extra for front rooms
4  Thank unclebull

It is always good to hear from Local customers such as yourselves. Thank you for your kind words about our rooms and the fantastic sea views we have. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food on this occasion; I have forwarded your comments to the chef. I do sincerely hope you have recovered from any sickness you experienced after you left the hotel.
Kind Regards
Sean Hughes

Reviewed October 20, 2012

stayed here in october arrived on water leaking suspensionless, antique bus,only to stay four days in faulty towers.mid week break turned in to nightmare,my best tip dont go here and dont use shearings, pity obans a lovely town.

Room Tip: stop in premier inn
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank sabunroo

Im really pleased to to hear you enjoyed the Town of Oban, I do agree it is a loverly Town.
Its a shame you did not enjoy your stay with us. It is unfortunate that I cannot investigate further what went wrong during your stay as I do not have enough information.

Thank you for your comments.
Sean Hughes

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Yes! One Star!!!! It would have been zero had Trip Advisor allowed

Aimed at the management of Bay Hotels and Shearings!

My wife and I arrived on Friday 12 October for a weekend break. No problems at check-in, our allocated room to the front was fine and everything seemed in order. At evening dinner we were presented with a wide variety menu and the served food was good. We did however note the dining room was quite quiet.

This all changed when viewing the late evening news I learned that one/two days prior to our arrival the hotel had been hit with norovirus resulting in some thirty residents succumbing to the bug. On checking with the 'programmed' lady at reception we received a very bland 'no problem' type review of the situation. I then found an even more bland letter tucked into the information folder in our room dated for the day of our arrival. Speaking to other guests gleaned more information that Shearings had cancelled a coach load of people due to arrive on the same day as my wife and I. What to do? Do we stay or do we leave? We did stay the sole reason being my wife is a retired nursing sister who was then delegated with constantly monitoring our health and the proviso that immediately anything untoward was noted we would immediately depart irrespective of the time of day or night.

Therafter a very, very nervous two days till we checked out. So, why no indication from Shearings either prior to our arrival or at the check-in providing the option of an alternate hotel, a cancellation or indeed being aware of the circumstances, staying on. A supposed relaxing weekend turned out to be anything but!

It's a pity because the hotel is not that bad and while nit pickers could have a field day it has many good points and under normal circumstances would have provided a comfortable weekend. However, because of the total lack of PR both Bay Hotels and Shearings have been deleted from our 'places to stay list'!

Room Tip: Well worth the extra for front facing rooms.
7  Thank Couperthwaite
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I travelled with my mum and a friend. And we knew Geoff the driver too. We travelled with shearings and have done for the past 6 7 years and have never had any problems. While waiting for our feda coach it was late because it had broke down and was 20 minutes late. We had a very nice ride up to Oban Scotland, where we have stayed there about 6 times and never had no problems. We know most of the staff in the hotel and are really nice and helpful and the waiters/waitress are very nice too and will bring you anything at all if you do not like anything on the menu a all. On Tuesday we were due to go to Inverary and we were told the coach had broke down as the radiator had fallen of so we had to use the other coach to go on trips and that some people on the two coaches had taken ill and had got a sickness and diahroea bug and its was getting worse over the days. On Thursday e eventually got the coach bk and then were told that Geoff the driver was ill too and had got the sickness bug everyone had had to go on the other coach with the other driver George. There was no bad word to say about the hotel or staff as they were all very good and delt with all the situations that occurred very well and my praise goes out to them. So on Friday on our departure home we were due to leave at 7.15 and people were late and thought we were leaving at 7.30am but we didn't leave till 7.45am which put us behind schedule. Once we arrived at Washington services again Newcastle we were told that people that got on at NOrmanton interchange were going to ferry bridge services and being took home by private taxis as people had the bug and didn't want any of the other coaches infected or the interchange and that they were scrapping the coach when we had all got of it. And the hotel is being done up over the next year and the entertainment had moved upstairs in the lounge as it is too cold downstairs in the basement. All in all apart from that we all enjoyed our holiday and will be going bk to the great western hotel next year to see the changes they have been doing and just wished we lived in Scotland . Also we took a trip on the Caladonian MCbrayne ferry over to craignure (isle of mull) and the weather was very kind to us too

We will be visiting very soon and kind regards to the management team and see you all very soon

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

It’s good to hear from you especially your kind remarks about the staff. Sorry that there was a glitch at the start of your holiday and then again on the second day, but good to hear the coach driver managed to take you out on the excursion. It was unfortunate that you and other guests experienced the Winter Bug during your stay. It can be very nasty and highly contagious. Once we put our procedures into place to contain and eliminate it we defeat it! Thank you again for appreciating the work that the staff do. It seems you experienced another inconvenience at the end of your holiday, but they have to divert coaches away from interchanges to contain the virus, as mentioned earlier it is highly contagious. I’m so glad that even after all the inconveniences you enjoyed your holiday and that you will be back again next year. We look forward to seeing you again. Regards, Sean Hughes, General Manager.