“Perfection.”

Manor House Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 98 Restaurants in Oban
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our complete dinner menu changes daily. You are assured of an excellent choice of fine dishes featuring local meats. Seafood and produce. While the menu is presented as a 5 course prix fixe, if your appetite is less, each course is offered a la carte.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After lots of searching, we decided to eat here on our trip to Oban. Needless to say we are very glad we did! From walking through the door hungry to walking out feeling properly satisfied 7 courses later everything was near perfect. The way the food is presented makes it almost a shame to eat, but knowing how good the previous course was means you couldn't wait to tuck in! At around £40 per person it is an expensive meal, however for the amount and quality of the food it is very much worth every penny. If we're ever back in Oban, we will be back for sure.

2  Thank proud_red

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife arranged a "surprise" 60th birthday dinner for me on the 9th of this month. The staff and management went out of their way to make this night very special. The food served to the 18 of us in the party was wonderful. Many thanks to all at the Manor House.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ate here last week with my five friends while traveling around Scotland during Easter Week. We also stayed here as well (see hotel review for my comments). We had a spectacular meal. The food was amazing (except for perhaps the appetizers served in the bar before dinner which were -- truth be told -- cold and tasteless). However that small blip was overlooked as we had the opportunity to gaze out over the water and watch Dale the Whale who by chance showed up in the local waters a few days before. What a treat ... anyway back to the food.) The restaurant is a set three course menu with lots to pick from. Each of us had something different so we had the chance to taste almost everything on the menu. We are all big foodies and none of us were unhappy. It was delicious and we all walked out stuffed and very happy.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We like to eat here once a week in the bar which has amazing views over Oban Harbour to Kerrera and the Isle of Lismore. The bar has a nautical theme with a few burgees from around the world above the bar and charts of the area on one wall. This is not the kind of bar where you can stand at the counter and pass the time of day with interesting locals, more an informal restaurant.

The food varies from good to quite exceptional and they have a good range of bottled beers. The service is very good indeed. It is good value for money.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I took my sister out for a lunchtime treat as we had not seen her for years and wanted to catch up. She is local to Oban and suggested the Manor House Hotel restaurant for lunch. The restaurant itself is typical of a West Highland hotel- slightly seedy and has probably seen better times. My sister had fettucine with wild mushrooms. There was a creamy sauce on top which looked like it had been standing about and developed a skin over it. My wife had ordered a seafood risotto but was specific in telling the waitress that she did not like salmon or trout and to make sure there was none in the risotto. When the risotto came, yes, there were bits of salmon through it. (Since when did salmon become seafood?) Again it looks like the chef had made a big batch of risotto and tried to pick the salmon out of it. I had liver, bacone and apple. the meat was cooked well enough but I had ordered a side salad which came overdressed with an over-vinegared dressing. My wife then ordered green tea. Chinese tea was served. I am caffeine sensitive so asked for a decaffeinated tea. Ordinary tea was served. The waitress did take £5 off the bill because of these things but it was still a ropey experience. I have decided that, perhaps, Oban is not a good place to eat! I won't be back unless absolutely necessary.

PLCrane, Owner at Manor House Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

We were very concerned about your comment and had a discussion with the manager, chef and the waitress serving you to determine what went wrong. The waitress apologized saying she had not communicated your risotto order correctly to the kitchen. We are sorry that you did not let her know that the dish was incorrect until after the meal. It could have been replaced quickly. The risotto is made to order with fresh cream and seafood. It would not have been a problem omitting the trout and salmon. We are very sorry your experience was not better.

Regards Les & Margaret Crane