Open today: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

1,291 results
All reviews court room well worth a visit audio guide crime and punishment interesting place couple of hours great place to visit value for money few hours interesting visit own pace rainy day gift shop friendly staff entrance fee prisoners courtroom
Reviewed 4 days ago

Interesting but did think it was very expensive very clean throughout the courtroom was good as were the cells in a lovely town.

Reviewed 4 days ago

My mum and I were on a coach trip so just had a short time in Inveraray but we definitely knew we wanted to visit this jail. The coach driver told us to mention we were on a coach trip to ensure we got in at a discounted price - which we did.
We loved everything about the jail and could have spent much longer there as there's so much to see and read.
The jail guard spent a while talking to us - he was so informative and interesting and then he put me in handcuffs!!
I would highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 1 week ago

From entering to leaving the whole experience was great the courtroom setup made you feel you had gone back in time,the cells were eerie but in a good way lots of information about the period when the jail was in use

Reviewed 1 week ago

Got a discount after visit the castle, which was nice.

Headset was faulty, but worked with a little jiggling. The staff said I could have brought it back, but I didn't want to turn half way round and bump into people.

There is a childrens activity (like at Harry Potter or any Sea Life attraction) where you stamp 4 stamps from around the jail onto the piece of paper. Would hve been nice to know for myself ;)

A lot of information and things to see. Would have been nicer if there was a spoken guided tour, but I guess that's what the electronic one was for- slightly impersonal but understandable.

The fake people are /creepy/. Good, but creepy. The steps in the jail house towards the top flight become very narrow- I slipped a few times, and it was a dry few days, so extra care is necessary.

Overall I'd go back with some friends, but probably not another solo run.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Our family really enjoyed our visit. The handheld audio guide with stories and explanations all the way made this a thoroughly immersive and interactive experience, it brought the history to life. The narrations were very expressive as well.
We were pleased to see not too many members of our clan had been “guests” at the jail!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Having just spent an enjoyable and rewarding 2 hours at the nearby Castle,we ventured into the village to visit this attraction.
The entry price of £12.75 is ridiculous, given that we had just paid a very worthwhile £10 to go to the castle.
We declined to pay,and used our “Get out of Jail” card to swerve this extortion.

Governor32, General Manager at Inveraray Jail, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

This ‘review’ makes a mockery of the whole Tripadvisor website. I am sorry, but I cannot understand how you can leave a review when you did not even visit the Jail and I am surprised this review does not violate Tripadvisors guidelines? Surely the reviewer has to visit the place being reviewed? As you can see from the vast majority of entries visitors give a very positive review AFTER they have visited. In addition we have never charged £12.75 for entry and therefore do not understand where this amount comes from? We are happy to receive reviews, but please have the honesty and decency to visit before passing judgement. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Great displays, fun mock courtroom. Great volunteer staff in period costume. They have incredible knowledge which they are more than happy to share. You must visit and you will enjoy.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very thought provoking and just a little bit sad. Some personal stories of inmates, some just small children locked up for very little: taking a turnip from a field! Interesting to see the changes in the jail over time; from sleeping on the floor with no amenities, to getting beds, sanitation and heating. Some of the punishments meted out were extreme to say the least.

Staff were dressed up and very knowledgeable, imparting information with a sense fo humour. So glad we visited.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Fab Fab Fab. This place was so interesting loved it , the staff were all dressed up . We learnt a lot .

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Have visited several times with our sons over the years and have always enjoyed the visit. Lots to see, staff dressed up to give you a full experience and various things you can try, including the whipping table!