“What a fabulous lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inveraray
The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inveraray
scotland
“What a fabulous lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

From the time my husband, myself and two children walked into the George we felt like we had walked into the most warmest, atmospheric place in the country for lunch.
The staff were excellent, the atmosphere was amazing and the food was 10/10.
We had mussels and chips-heavenly.
Would truly recommend this as the most amazing lunch venue in Scotland.
Our children loved it too so great for the whole family.
Please put it on your bucket list of places to eat/visit:)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was and chose not to put my foot beyond the front door for years ...so glad I made that extra step one winters day whilst driving in the area. For lovers of atmospheric and character filled bars and hotels with good food and great beer with roaring fires in winter, look no further than here as the large and spacious main bar which still looks not a lot different from when it was built in the 1700's. My opinion is that if there is a a more character filled bar of its type in Scotland I am yet to find it but I am still on a quest. Since finding this hostelry and receiving its first warm cuddle on entering the impressive and historic main bar (what stories it could tell) I have B&B'd there to enjoy the full package and was impressed.

Room Tip: I stayed in an annexe room of the rear courtyard located on the loch side. Uplifting views when I we...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Colin S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This is one of my favorite hotels in the world. I used to go diving all the time in the facing lochs and would drop in for a drink or a bite to eat afterwards. The food is delicious, modern with a Scottish twist. The rooms are quirky and miles away from what you expect in a small hotel. The coal fire is warm and the perfect way to ward off a chill. The lights and low ceilings create a great atmosphere. Its main problem is that it is so good it is always booked up for months in advance. I would not change anything about it apart from the fact I have told you because you will just make it more busy! Enjoy it if you can get in.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank gaillingard
Haltwhistle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

A warm comfortable good room comfortable bed and onsuite bathroom lots of hot water. hotel staff very welcoming good food they were offering a good Sunday deal so it was excellent value for money.Good location in the town centre and free parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My first time in Inverary, I found the area completely stunning.
The hotel from the outside looks like a quaint, fairly typical scottish pub, but wow inside was just amazing.
Coal fires, stonework walls, fabulous old furnishings, stripped floors. The restaurant food was out of this world, good pub food, local Loch Fyne produce, and put together with artistic flair. I would highly recommend the steak pie ! Traditional but with a modern twist.
But the rooms, were just spectacular. My colleague and I were given two of THE most beautiful rooms, complete with four poster bed, jacuzzi bath with candles, fluffy thick towels, warm dressing gowns, stunning antique furniture and so tastefully interior designed.
The staff were efficient, service impeccable. A truly wonderful and memorable stay, and I for one will be returning.
A complete gem, with the stunning backdrop of Scottish Hills, lochs, and snow. Perfect.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms with the 4 poster beds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank momo2801
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have been eating at the George for years, but never stayed.

Parking - free/cheap/close by.
Check in was fast friendly, nothing too much trouble - very relaxed. The reception area is very "scottish" - more tartan carpet than you can shake a stick at, old beams, low ceilings, very nice warm feel to the place. We were told about breakfast, asked if we needed a table for dinner ... all very welcoming.

The room (11) was on the side - over the bar. It was a good size - yes, it was a bit dusty in places (around the edge of the carpet if you looked really closely), but the TV worked, there was a kettle and the usual tea/coffee bits. The bed was big, comfortable and had plenty of duvets and pillows. Idea for sleep, sitting up and reading or lazing and watching TV. A good sized wardrobe, dresser and 2 bedside stands with lamps gave plenty of storage.

The bath room was great - a full size (very full size) huge bath - room for 2. Jacuzzi bath - easy to work, plenty of hot water, big towels, everything clean and functional.

The room was over the bar - which meant at night - you could hear people but this is a hotel in a town with very little other entertainment - so for me - it wasnt a problem. If you cant beat em - join em. I am sure there are other rooms in the hotel not over the bar - ask when you book maybe, am sure they will try to help. For me it just wasnt a problem. On the 2nd night, the bar was quieter and heard nothing at all.

The room was well heated, but the window opened to let in a welcome breaze when needed.

The restaurant/bar area is as remembered - low ceilings, beams, log fires, great menu to choose from, lots of local produce, well cooked, good portion size - pate is great, soup always good, fish excellent, the staff are always friendly, the service is fast but not rushed.

I did read a couple of reviews about this place - and I couldnt relate to any of the bad ones ... particuarly the food/restaurant ones - i eat here every 3 months or so and have always had a great meal - excellent value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rugbysw11
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We loved this hotel the room was spacious comfortable , clean & on such a cold day the room was lovely & warm . At the last minute we had to change out plans & take our little poodle with us which was no problem to the hotel , as long as he wasn't allowed to wander he was allowed to stay with us while we had a meal in the bar area with a open fire . The food was great I would highly recommend the mussels & the sticky toffee pudding . The staff were all friendly & we are looking forward to booking for another stay hopefully a longer visit next time .

• Stayed January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inveraray
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
Brambles Boutique Rooms
Brambles Boutique Rooms
#3 of 16 in Inveraray

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!