“WOW ! !”
Review of The George Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inveraray
The George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inveraray
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is one of the greatest hotels I stayed at while in Scotland. The old world charm, the restaurant & lounge, the comfortable bed and absolutely charming room... I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. If you travel to Inverary, even if you do not spend the night, it is worth walking through this hotel just to see it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwbfromMA
There are newer reviews for The George Hotel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

It all looked a bit tired and in need of a Spring Clean but the bed was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was well appointed with spa bath and separate shower.The food was superb.
We were disturbed by the occasional lorry passing during the night

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid intermittent traffic noise
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My partner and I stayed here as part of the winter deal - stay two rooms, get one room half price. We stayed in master suite 5 - what a room! Lovely king size bed and fabulous jacuzzi! The standard of cleanliness was excellent, but this was in March 2012. The toiletries were of a very high standard - Purdies of Argyll organic shampoo, soap and shower gel. We actually bought more at the local shop we were so impressed. Breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed a meal in the bar one evening, next to a roaring log fire! fantastic place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have had many very good lunches in this hotel and each time promised myself I would have a short break there. I was disappointed. My room was just ok in spite of being a master room, ie supposed to be better than standard. It was clean enough but the bed was not particularly comfortable. The sanitary ware was strange and dated and the toilet was difficult to flush without sustaining a wrist injury. There was not a comfortable chair in the room and it was a bit dark and gloomy. These points made me feel the room was not value for money. On the positive side we enjoyed our dinner and breakfast was first class. I did not mind making my own toast and the bread was very nice. My husband especially enjoyed the sausages which were obviously not of the catering pack variety and I had scrambled eggs which were freshly and well made. All the staff in bar and restuarant were outstanding. They were bright, pleasant and obliging. I like Inveraray and it is a convenient stop on the way north. I will continue to have lunch at the George but I don't think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the bed and the ease of access to the room.
1  Thank margaret299
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We called in at the fantastic whiskey shop across the road and wanted to try a few more samples so decided to stay in Inverary and The George was highly recommended (we were also looking for Sky sports to watch the Ryder Cup so scored twice!). The hotel maybe needs new sign-age as it doesn't look particularly inspiring (nice flowers tho) but the contents proved to be a nice surprise. nooks and crannies, great bar, staff are actually interested in you and your welfare (I was in a wheelchair and tho I insisted that I could manage the stairs to the cheaper room on 2nd floor, they upgraded us to a suite on the first floor). The décor is great, gorgeous furniture, comfy bed, proper pub and good food. The only sore point is that the cleanliness is not good enough, as a cleaner myself I understand the speed required to get room turnarounds done in limited time but the basics have to be given way more attention - the bedding most definitely must be ironed - it wasn't - not good enough.
George folk - address the negatives but please don't change anything else, we want to come back as often as we can - loved it.

P.S Yes this place is slightly rough round the edges but if you want souless 'trendy perfection' go and stay at the dull spa hotel down the road (nice italian barman tho!).

Room Tip: Room 8 - nice tho from photos other rooms may be even nicer
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Seems this can be hit and miss. Some of the staff are helpful but others do have a funny attitude. On my second visit, I was more concerned about the hygiene within the eating area. My food was OK but if beforehand I had seen the dog being allowed on the furniture sitting up at the tables where people were expected to eat, I would not have ordered.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the George on a number of occasions. Last visit was September 2012 and as ever the food was probably on a par with the best the UK has to offer, it really is a hidden gem of delight and quality.

We sayed in room 9 which was lovely, but some minor cleaning issues - the mirror over the jucuzzi needed cleaning, the chairs were stained and the cushions were in need of repair (so George dont let things slip it spoils the overall appeal).
We were served in the restaurant on the Saturday evening- it was very busy a couple of large groups present - restaurant was noisy. The service was just ok - the waitress I dont think wanted to be there (that was the impression she gave) but food was absolutely first class.
Breakfast in the morning just needs an obvious manager present to make sure the guests are dealt with efficiently - waitress took too long to attend table - restaurant was not busy at this time. The self service toast machine is actually a bit of a pest however overall great experience and will visit again. These are not major complaints and I am sure they can be dealt with by the George and this should not put anyone off going as it is a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inveraray
Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
#4 of 6 in Arrochar
Oban Bay Hotel
Oban Bay Hotel
#7 of 13 in Oban

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!